It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:10 am

Post subject: Ouija boards
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:38 pm 
Someone We Know

Hi all,
Was just wondering on peoples opinion on the ouija board. Its an interesting topic of conversation and makes for a really good discussion.

Post subject: Re: Ouija boards
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:15 am 
The Ferryman

Ouija boards are indeed a fascinating subject and one that many people have strong feelings about. They are really good for debate and we've got a thread on them here where we've all had our say. What are you opinions on them?
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5389

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:47 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

I don't mind ouija boards, their an interesting tool for communication with the spirit world... they do tend to misspell loads of stuff though, like with glass work, I will take my finger off for a second to proove I am not pushing or pulling the plangette

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:06 am 
Someone We Know

I have used a ouija board for about 4 yrs now, I have my own board guide who opens and closes the board, and I have a great respect for him. We always smudge the room with sage and say a prayer before and thanks afterwards. We have had alot of success in using it and still get surprised by the accuracy of some of the spirits that communicate. My Mam passed in April last year and we have spoken to her a number of times through the board. She was a psychic medium too and she always joked on that she would come and chat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:47 am 
Site Admin

I think Ouija boards work or dont depending on the belief of those using them.
I have to admit, that I personally find them of little use, theres too many variables.

A ouija board, it has to be remembered, is a registered trademark of Hasbro, and its listed as a board game. It only became considered a divining tool during the first world war and that was because it was pioneered by a spiritualist.

Its also been proven under lab conditions that the movement is a ideomotor response, an involuntary movement by those using it. So as a research tool its value is nil.
As a method of entertainment its value is a lot more.

On one investigation in Yarm, we got a lot of facts. Names, dates anda church where a person is buried. None of this could be confirmed by subsequent research, I simply could find no record of a burial in that church with that name.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:01 am 
The Ferryman

No evidence they work in channelling spirit :(
No evidence that they are portals to hell :(

Lots of evidence to support the ideomotor effect :)

They are fun though, I'll give you that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 pm 
Someone We Know

the ideomotor response is involuntary because its the higher mind, or the subconcious mind spelling out words. When you get information on the board that you would have no way at all of knowing otherwise its good evidence of the spiritworld. And thats the most important thing about all of this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:45 pm 
The Ferryman

If it's your higher mind controlling the ideomotor movements then how can it produce info that you don't know? Are you saying that you believe spirit uses a persons higher mind to communicate a message?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:04 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

spirit uses the energy of the people round the room... must be too much of a coincidence if 5 people round the board can all think of the same number or letter all the time

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:29 pm 
The Ferryman

Just the one with the strongest finger needs to think of anything. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

It doesn't take 5 people to move a glass though April.

I hate this having to explain why I dont think something is paranormal. Theres no way to do so without offending people. I hope you understand.

I can see your point of view on this, but for me the evidence is overwhelming that there's more explainable reasons for it. IF we can prove there's no human interference, then we might get somewhere. But whilst Human interference can be measured, its explained by science.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:48 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

5 people was just an example ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:53 pm 
The Ferryman

We'll have to do that trick with the soft plasterscene. I bet the glass won't move then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:19 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

thats true, you will have to try that other experiment, getting me and abbadon to bring spirit forward and see if you get any orbs (dust) around us ;)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:59 pm 
Someone We Know

The part of the spirit in the body isnt whole, part of it exists on other planes. Your soul has many facets just like a diamond, and as for the ouija board and communication on it how come my table guide comes every time we use it to open and close and not someone elses on the table. I dont believe in cheating and I never lie to myself as there would be no point in exploring anything.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

As I said earlier Lynnora2, Ouija boards were not a recognised way of divination until at least 1914.
So where your table guide comes from I am unsure, but he/she is basically working with a game. And if I can make a ouija board out of scraps of paper, without any set definition and get the same results, where's the "magic" ?

Lets be frank here, its obvious you are a total believer, where I require proof. I don't even recognise that the human body/mind has a soul. Until someone can show me proof that there is one I shall carry on thinking this way.
The difference between a believer and a sceptic is that a believer will believe no matter what evidence is put before them to counteract their belief, where as a sceptic will reconsider what they think in the face of new evidence.

Take the previous subjects of orbs, no matter what we provided in the way of logical explanation, you continued to believe you had captured the image of a spirit.
No matter what we said concerning the issue that it was much more likely to be of a none paranormal nature, you continued to throw in what if it is a spirit, what if its not dust. The fact still remains, its much more likely to be anything else, than spirit. The chances of it being spirit are infinitely small in the grand scheme of things. Because to date NO ONE can prove spirits exist anywhere except in myth.

Interesting point about the diamond, but diamonds as we think of them are cut and polished, basically fabricated by man. I wonder if there is an element of truth to that statement?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:49 pm 
Someone We Know

If no one can prove spirits exist, how can a medium give accurate evidence and accurate descriptions of a relative and dates? Would love to hear your views on this subject as their is no scientific answer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:28 pm 
Site Admin

lynnnora2 wrote:
If no one can prove spirits exist, how can a medium give accurate evidence and accurate descriptions of a relative and dates? Would love to hear your views on this subject as their is no scientific answer.

I've been to a reading where the information given seemed ot be amazingly accurate.
I know the person did not know me, had never met me before.
He didn't get dates or names, but he got descriptions, some of them extremely uncanny.

But there was still no proof. I applied my view to what was said. Had I recorded the session, perhaps my recollection will be different from what was actually said.

I don't have an answer as to where that info comes from. It doesn't mean the person can speak to spirits or listen to them. It just means he's getting information from somewhere I don't know.

Just as there is no scientific answer, that doesn't instantly mean the answer must be paranormal. There's the process of eliminating the charlatans, the chancers and the down right liars. Then we have to see these snippets of information under laboratory conditions.....sadly no one has yet managed to reproduce their "ability" under these conditions. Testing outside with no controls is a waste of time and breathe.

So i stand by the hypothesis that there is no proof of spirits.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:51 pm 
Someone We Know

mediums have been rigorously tested for a lot of years. If u were a medium urself u would know this.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:44 pm 
The Ferryman

lynnnora2 wrote:
mediums have been rigorously tested for a lot of years.

This is very true, but the very fact that we're having this debate at all shows that nothing conclusive has come out of any of this testing.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:30 pm 
Site Admin

And as much as I hate it, Randi's prize is still un-claimed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:39 pm 
Someone Very Strange

only because Randi keeps changing the rules...

the rules are he has to be satisfied - and as it's his money he never will be

smoke and mirrors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Wodenborn wrote:
only because Randi keeps changing the rules...

the rules are he has to be satisfied - and as it's his money he never will be

smoke and mirrors

Well, If you can communicate with the dead, the rules would be pretty pointless, you would just do it, and if he asked for somethign else, you could provide it. After all, you have an ability.

As I said as much as I hate the very idea of the prize etc......even moving the goal posts, IF people could genuinly talk to the dead they would have claimed the money or exposed his fraudulent offer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:47 pm 
Someone Very Strange

sorry - it' been done again, and again and again...and every time the results are covered up by the smoke and mirrors..and randi staing he's not happy...there was an excellent website debating this very topic - on the subject of mediums and communication Survivalafterdeath - unfortunately it has gone the way of much on the internet.

it also had the interesting account of the Houdini messages which were confirmed by his wife.

shame it's gone it was an excellent resource.

this offering money is just a side show conjurors trick, Randi will just keep stating that he isn't satisfied and keeps the money,...serious mediums will have nothing whatsoever to do with Randi and his fraudsters....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:17 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

Quote:
don't have an answer as to where that info comes from. It doesn't mean the person can speak to spirits or listen to them. It just means he's getting information from somewhere I don't know.

I know spirit do exsist and the information we recieve is very much appreciated, the only thing left is to try and prove the exsistance of spirit. I did give a message to a young lady a few months ago, this message was taken and she could take most of it, the fact that the words I said actually got this lady in tears, is proof that I got the person she was wanting to hear from. surley if we cannot talk to the dead, how was I so acurate and how did she end up in tears