It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:49 am

Post subject: Ethical Investigation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:49 am 
The Ferryman

During an investigation of a private residence is it ever ok to tell the owners that their house is haunted?

Post subject: Re: Ethical Investigation
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Admin

During an investigation? No.

As during the investigation we are still gathering evidence that is to be scrutinised later.
Talking about personal experiences again, not really a good idea unless the home owner is confortable with what is going on or asks directly.

Honest and open is a good thing, but at times its better to decline and be none specific.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:04 am 
The Ferryman

How about after, if the investigation does throw up some 'strange' things.

To my mind, I don't see how anyone can say that a house is truly haunted without getting conclusive proof, which is really not going to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:50 am 
Site Admin

I think thats where you present the facts. The conclusion would be unexplainable to the investigators, but the facts really should be examined by a third party and should never be sold as a haunting.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:03 pm 
A Stiff

I think the clients have every right to know whether the investigating team have been able to find anything from a scientific perspective to prove a rational explanation or not.
Whether they should be told it is haunted is for me down to the relative mindset of the individuals involved...on no account should any team leave clients scared

And just because we can't prove its rational...doesn't usually mean that it isnt..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:19 pm 
Someone We Know

As comforting as any illusion of certainty is i.e. whether you tell a person their house is haunted or not, doesn't change the fact that however much, or little, evidence that can be drawn on is only a fragment.
I might be inaccurate but it's rather like being told to find out whether all swans are white. you could find countless white swans but how do you know that ALL swans are white unless you find a black swan?

I find the nature of uncertainty quite frightening but ultimately honest and necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:24 pm 
The Ferryman

Everything is uncertain in this game despite what people say to the contrary.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:15 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

yea you have to take the people's feelings into consideration, I would only say something if they seem confortable to hear the truth, but always state that you could show the spirit back to the light.

Quote:
which is really not going to happen

never say never ;)

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 4:24 pm 
The Ferryman

AprilButterfly wrote:
I would only say something if they seem confortable to hear the truth

The problem is what actually constitutes 'the truth'. Just because someone believes (rightly or wrongly) what they say to be the truth, doesn't mean that it is. Far better to stick to facts in my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 8:05 am 
Someone We Know

AprilButterfly wrote:
yea you have to take the people's feelings into consideration, I would only say something if they seem confortable to hear the truth, but always state that you could show the spirit back to the light.

Quote:
which is really not going to happen

never say never ;)

Hang on! You say 'state that you could show the spirit back to the light'. Doesn't this also infer that a spirit exists and that it corresponds to a late victorian idea of the afterlife?
We can never be certain one way or the other. Our own beliefs, wishes or desires could easily by taken by a distressed 'hauntee' as true, for better or worse. It's entirely unethical to guide or direct someone who in the eyes of the law you could argue you have a fiduciary duty to.

I think it's great that you hold such passionate beliefs and I imagine that for someone who believes they're experiencing something paranormal your beliefs might offer support and a friendly ear. Might it be the case that it's more important to admit to ourselves our own beliefs and keep our mouths shut with 'clients'?

Facts, the little of them we can find, seem the best option.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:11 am 
The Ferryman

wow... 'fiduciary'! I had to look that up.

As far as clients go, NGI always keep personal beliefs out of it for precisely the reasons you state Scubbins. We keep our mediums away from private cases, and being such fine people they completely understand the reasons for doing that.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:40 am 
Site Admin

The recent case we attended in middlesbrough was a real eyeopener for me. I really felt for the person concerned. I could empathise with her as I go through similar things myself with anxiety and stress.

Religious belief out of the way I feel that in some cases we can connect with a client on a personal level. With the client above I urged her to seek the help from a recognised professional body and I had to switch to personal mode to get this through. Although I am not trained to recognise symptoms in people I explained what I go through and she seemed to realise how strikingly simialr it was. Sometimes being patient and listening is all that is needed I sincerely hope that this approach helped the client.

We didnt need to mention a haunting because the subject of the house being haunted was never in question, the client knew it wasnt the house and that the things she was experiencing were linked to her.....She also understood enough to realise that for every plausible paranormal reason, there was a much more likely and beleivable explainable reason.
I think NGI in this case played the role of professional investigators to put her mind at ease. She didnt want to know that there was a ghost in her house and that made our job easier in explaining that there almost certainly wasnt.

Sometimes just talking to a professional team can be enough, knowing that someone will listen and not just tell you that you are insane. It also served the purpose that from a spiritual point of view, nothig could have been gained, the client understood this and had been further confused by spiritualists (and indeed frightened I dare say)