It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:20 am

Post subject: The changing face of ghosts?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:42 pm 
The Ferryman

Traditionally ghosts took the form of headless horsemen, cowled monks and grey ladies but since the advent of reality TV and groups basing their investigations on those models, the face of ghosts seems to have changed dramatically.

Nowadays flashes of light, slight taps and 'odd' feelings are the order of the day and we should ask ourselves why this is. Have our cultural perceptions on what we think a ghost is changed or is it simply a matter of people being so desperate to have an unworldly encounter that they are willing to take anything as evidence?

Post subject: Re: The changing face of ghosts?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:28 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

I would really love to see the headless horsemen or the grey lady, just a dam shame they dont show to proove their exsistance, maybe they are camera shy lol

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:14 am 
The Ferryman

Me too. Over the years my views on what constitutes a 'paranormal experience' has changed dramatically.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:01 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

dont get me wrong, I have seen myself the figure of Anne Bronte (wish I have already told you about) but I really really wish I could see more just like that. I always tell myself never to look a spirit in the eyes and give eye to eye contact as I still remember Anne as though I seen her last night instead of 30 years ago, I probably would look another spirit in the eyes and would try mny best to communicate to them and have a great convo with them ;)

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:06 pm 
The Ferryman

I wish I had seen something like that too. I've had my own paranormal experiences that i've told you about too, but I've not experienced anything else like it in over 20 years and not for the want of trying either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:26 pm 
The Ferryman

I know it was "after the event" - but what about the "Angel" you caught on camera in that Church?? Never thought of ripping it from the video and posting it online?

On topic tho - I blame laziness and a decrease in imagination. Seriously. Back in the day, there was no TV / Movies to compare and all people had (those that could read) were books. As such they had nothing to compare their experiences to and so had to describe them fully for those who would listen.

Today, the art of Story Telling is dying amongst the general public - people just sit on their arses in front of TV and want to be entertained. No thought process goes into it. No imagination used. One of the "scariest" films I ever watched was The Haunting. It was scary because you never actually saw anything - it was all suggestion and noise - you had to use your imagination to "see" what was banging the pipes or turning the door handle. In the remake - it was all flash bang hollywood special effects and other than a young Catherine Zeta Jones being a bi-sexual nympho, wasn't worth watching.

So the imagination has gone out of what we experience. We can't be arsed. So, we just see the odd flashing light .. on the whole, we can't stretch to Headless Horsemen anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:10 pm 
The Ferryman

I never said it was an 'Angel' but to some it could definitely be described as one. I must admit it is a pretty interesting bit of footage and I'll make an effort to get it digitised and get it on our youtube page for people to have a look at.

The original Haunting is definitely one of the scariest films of all time.