It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 am

Post subject: Making things up
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 1:43 pm 
The Ferryman

There have been a few cases in the media of the last few months of people allegedly having 'evil spirits' in their (council) homes. These cases have also usually involved poltergeist phenomena. These have usually followed the similar pattern of a family being terrorised, the family gets a medium or a vicar round to bless the property which proves to be ineffective, and they have to flee the home, if only temporarily.

This is then followed by the usual cries of hoax! That they are just seeking publicity or more commonly that they are making it up to get rehoused by the council.

My question is that in this day and age, is it realistic to expect a council to rehouse a family because of paranormal activity? Surely there must be a far easier way to get moved to a new house.

Are these people telling the truth in your opinion?

Post subject: Re: Making things up
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm 
The Ferryman

If someone truly believes their house is haunted then they only have 3 options .. 1) Live with it .. 2) get someone in who will - at the least - settle their nerves or 3) Move out

Whether local councils should be making allowances for and helping people to move out is one for debate though. On the one hand, theres no actual proof that any house is haunted and so anything going on in the house is either totally explainable or a hoax / issue with the people reporting it. If its the former, then the council should have a responsibility to investigate and "fix" anything that could be causing problems - ie, un-healthy levels of EMF that could cause strange wobbly wotsits with people.

But then, with hauntings, we just don't know really .. and if someone is genuinely upset / scared to live in the house and its affecting their health in someways or they're kids are truly terrified, then I think some sort of help should be available.

But I don't think they should be bumped straight to the top of the housing list .. there are people out there who are in need of a home for one reason or another and they still should get priority. If someone somewhere is prepared to swap - and know why the family wants to move out of the "haunted house" - then they should be free to do so.

Maybe they should offer the family a shitty house in a shitty area and if they refuse it, put the claim down to a "Hoax" .. if they were so scared they want out of their house, then they'd take anywhere wouldn't they?? If they accept the offer of the shitty alternative without hestitation ... say, "well, actually .. there is somewhere else ..."

Me thinks thats a good test! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

iirc the only way to move house by the council is if your present house no longer meets your needs.

Such as a two bedroom house and 4 kids.

The only other way is a home swap, but if you live in an unwanted area this would be hard to do.
I think these people have a degree of intelligence as they understand that the paranormal cannot be proved or disproved.
I also believe the council have to act, as it can affect the physical and mental health of those concerned.

There was a case in Peterlee the other year (2009 i think).

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:55 pm 
The Ferryman

So do you think that the people concerned really believe that there houses are haunted?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

doktor_phibes wrote:
So do you think that the people concerned really believe that there houses are haunted?

No I think they understand that it cant be proven either way.

Perhaps someone has had a genuine case, perhaps some people just watch too much MH?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:39 pm 
The Ferryman

Well in my opinion, I think that in most cases they do indeed think that their house is haunted (which it may very well be for all know), but I think it is most lightly that they have convinced themselves that a spook is to blame.

If this is the case, I really feel that spiritualists and vicars with thier exorcisms are not the best first port of call that people should be turning to as it will only reinforce this belief.

I can understand why they do take this route though. If you really think you have a 'ghost' then you wouldn't dream of turning to someone who would look at it logically and tell you that you were incorrect, you would just want rid.

Calling in the devout skeptics wouldn't be the best tactic in my opinion as people don't like the idea of being made to feel like fools or fibbers and turning to a local paranormal group is a bit like playing Russian Roulette as you never know what you are going to get.

I don't know what the answer is? Do you?

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

It annoys me to think that people with coucil houses just want to move so make up a story of 'this house is haunted' it annoys me as they should be greatful for what they have already.

I do believe that a house can have activity around it, mine does and I have no problem with it. I had a medium in years ago to show the spirit back to the light, but I know I still got the friendly spirits still looking over us. They don't do any damage in our house and just wounder around I guess, they don't harm us, we don't harm them.

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:01 pm 
Someone Strange

doktor_phibes wrote:
These cases have also usually involved poltergeist phenomena. These have usually followed the similar pattern of a family being terrorised, the family gets a medium or a vicar round to bless the property which proves to be ineffective, and they have to flee the home, if only temporarily.

This is then followed by the usual cries of hoax! That they are just seeking publicity or more commonly that they are making it up to get rehoused by the council.

In the case of a true poltergeist you're talking a lot of problems to get rid of it.

First you have to remove any children from the house since they supposedly suck up their energy. You have to get a Catholic priest who is certified in dealing with poltergeists/activity of this sort. After the cleansing you're supposed to scrub clean every inch of the house from top to bottom, nail crucifixes in every room, and several other steps I'm forgetting; I read about this from a guy who studied the paranormal way longer than I have (20 years) and it was a pretty big write-up (I'd link to it but the forums it was posted on are gone).

So, yet another thing to consider there :P

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:04 am 
Site Admin

tviscante wrote:
doktor_phibes wrote:
These cases have also usually involved poltergeist phenomena. These have usually followed the similar pattern of a family being terrorised, the family gets a medium or a vicar round to bless the property which proves to be ineffective, and they have to flee the home, if only temporarily.

In the case of a true poltergeist you're talking a lot of problems to get rid of it.

First you have to remove any children from the house since they supposedly suck up their energy. You have to get a Catholic priest who is certified in dealing with poltergeists/activity of this sort. After the cleansing you're supposed to scrub clean every inch of the house from top to bottom, nail crucifixes in every room, and several other steps I'm forgetting; I read about this from a guy who studied the paranormal way longer than I have (20 years) and it was a pretty big write-up (I'd link to it but the forums it was posted on are gone).

But ,as yet, has there been any documented and confirmed cases of poltergeist activity?
If not then the above could be classed as making stuff up....surely?

I think at best theres been only well published cases of suspected poltergeist activity, such as the Enfield case, but theres discrepancies there too.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:52 am 
The Ferryman

tviscante wrote:
doktor_phibes wrote:

The problem I have is that there are a lot of 'supposedly' here. In truth even the most experienced poltergeist investigator doesn't really know what causes them and what they are. All we know is that there is an 'energy' involved, and the rest is just theory. Are naughty spirits, to blame? Is it just a type of psychokinetic energy leaking from the poltergeist focus (usually a teenager), or is it a mixture of the two?

And why should the Catholics get all the fun? :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:42 pm 
Someone Strange

^Yeah I don't know what they are myself either, if they're supposed to be a demonic or whatever.

Good question about the Catholics, dunno about that one :mrgreen:

Anth wrote:
But ,as yet, has there been any documented and confirmed cases of poltergeist activity?
If not then the above could be classed as making stuff up....surely?

Yeah I don't know, I'd ask the guy who did the massive post about it since he was really knowledgeable but those forums are gone. No idea, really.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 pm 
A Stiff

Ahem, didn't we offer our services to local councils to investigate their cases? And how many replies do you think we got?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:57 pm 
The Ferryman

The spirit voices are telling me 'none'?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 3:25 pm 
The Ferryman

The people who have recently been all over the media about having alleged ghost troubles seem to be getting a pretty rough ride with regards to comments from the general public. If they have been making it all up for their own reasons then they've no one to blame but themselves. However, if they are telling the truth (as far as they are concerned anyway) then this is a bit worrying.

With ghost groups and celebrity psychics using peoples cases to raise their own profiles they are opening people up to ridicule in the process. This kind of thing may also stop other families having similar problems from coming forward in the future.