It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:19 am

Post subject: Sightings
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:28 pm 
The Ferryman

Why do you think there are less sightings of actual apparitions in modern times than there has been in the past?

Is it a cultural thing? Is it to do with us filling the atmosphere with radio waves etc. from all the technology we have today? or are the ghosts just getting more timid as we nearly all carry digital cameras on our phones?

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Sightings
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:06 pm 
Someone Strange

Do you really think there are less nowadays??

I'm not so sure, but maybe it's because people couldn't explain paranoia and the likes, hallucinations and other things that we have come to understand a little more about. They were given concoctions which in some cases poisoned them or induced hallucinations, disease had people delirious with fever, it could be a reason, i don't know!

But you'd think that because there are so many people out looking for them now there'd be a few more sightings than there actually are........ :?:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 1:00 am 
Elite Investigator

whaleydoo wrote:

I'm not so sure, but maybe it's because people couldn't explain paranoia and the likes, hallucinations and other things that we have come to understand a little more about. They were given concoctions which in some cases poisoned them or induced hallucinations, disease had people delirious with fever, it could be a reason, i don't know!

But you'd think that because there are so many people out looking for them now there'd be a few more sightings than there actually are........ :?:

good post... i pretty much agree with what your saying there, you may have a point :)

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:23 am 
The Ferryman

whaleydoo wrote:

I would say there are more 'experiences' and less 'apparition sightings' nowadays. You would think that there should be more due to the amount of people looking for them, but history seems to imply that more people have sightings when they're not actually looking for ghosts.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:36 pm 
Elite Investigator

we must scare them off :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:35 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

I dont think the paranormal does actually want to be seen, if they can give you a small draft, or cobweb feeling, they seem fine as still invisable to the eye. I would love them to show more myself, but I guess we are always propared with camera's, maybe they are too scared to be seen and caught

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:53 am 
The Ferryman

If that's the case though then why bother with a 'tap' or a 'draft' at all?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:36 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

must be camera shy ;) and still wish to make their presence aware to us all... but some noises can be explained ;)

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:36 pm 
Elite Investigator

Maybe there are less sightings because we are looking to capture photo or video evidence now, and becoming more sceptical along the way. What I mean is, maybe in the past sightings of apparitions were born more from fear of the unknown and real superstition/folklore, and so were either not really seen but more imagined in a hyper sensitive state (or made up). Whereas now we seek better evidence, have a bit more knowledge, and largely have more scepticism towards ghosts. And that means its a bit harder to see something we don't necessarily believe in let alone capture it on film...of course that doesn't stop people faking photos or videos if they want to.

Not sure if all that makes sense..but to add, I'm still fascinated by whether any alleged ghostly activity is truly interactive or simply a type of stone tape theory which our imaginations believe is interacting with us..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 pm 
The Ferryman

You make some good points.

As for the Interactive type vs The Stone Tape variety, what gets me is that traditionally there seems to be a lot more reports of the Stone Tape kind in alleged haunted locations, yet when most paranormal groups investigate the places, most of them seem to report some sort of interactive phenomena.

Personally I think this is because they are so desperate for an encounter with the unknown they are willing to take any old 'evidence' on board.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:38 pm 
Elite Investigator

Yes, i think maybe the stone tape theory is easier to accept scientifically, and so has a bit more believability about it.

I guess it is easy to want something to happen when looking for evidence, which many of us can possibly relate to, and taking that further, we might accept something as interactive or intelligent (at the time). Where I think some people differ, is that after reflection and analysis, they realise that what may have been experienced, in the cold light of day, can be explained naturally or in scientific terms.

When that doesn't happen, and evidence is accepted without question, i think is a great shame, because nobody really gains anything, apart from locations becoming more mysterious and perhaps adding themselves to modern folklore.

So some groups or locations might gain financially, but the facts become a bit more muddled, and in the long term, does anyone really gain..?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:57 pm 
The Ferryman

Nigh on all sightings are personal. My "proper ghost" sighting at the Tontine was something that I only experienced, despite Dok and Pam being in the room with me (well, Dok just left). All Dok and Pam had to go on was circumstantial "evidence" in the look of befuddlement on my face when I was trying to work out WTF had just happened and a "maybe" related sound from moments earlier and a shaky plant.

So I've always said - me, you or anybody - seeing a ghost is neither here or there, it's not going to change the mind of anybody else or blow the subject wide open in the mainstream and make it "real" .. It's all "personal".

This is where my "belief" theory comes into (similar to what you said earlier Mark) .. It isn't a case of having the attitude of "Seeing is Believing" but "Believing Is Seeing" ..

Our brain, in all aspects of life, edits out information it receives from it's senses - based both on what it consideres "inconsequential" and on our internal world view - if the brain didn't do this - we'd be overwhelmed by sensory input - you probably have 50 itches on your body at the moment (maybe more) but you don't notice them because your brain has gone "pffft - not important" .. The unconscious mind has "edited" them out and not sent the sensation to the conscious mind .. just like you've "edited" out the ticking clock in your room .. how we drown out conversations when in a busy pub that we aren't concentration on - but, how we soon perk up when we hear our name said on the other side of the room and we become all alert because our name is considered "important" enough to pass to our conscious mind ..

Likewise, when we're in an argument about Ghosts or Not Ghosts .. if two people hold the extreme opposite view, they'll never be swayed by the others argument because - quite literally - they don't consciously listen to the other person .. the unconscious mind steps in before it gets to our processing department and says " .. this doesn't conform to my world view, so therefore it's not important, as such, I'm not going to listen!"

So when somebody who believes - or is at least open to the idea - in ghosts existing .. to me .. they are more prone to experiencing paranormal phenomenon because the unconscious mind "believes" it and so lets it through the filter .. whereas a hard-nose non-believer will have that particular sensory input stopped at the gates, so to speak, and will not become consciously aware of what's standing in front of them .. because yes, the brain filters out "light" that comes in through our eyes too .. So somebody could have a ghost stood right in front of them giving them The Bird, and they just wouldn't "see it" if they idea was so alien to them .. Hypnotists play on this "trait" of the brain everytime they go on stage .. Now, why a camera doesn't pick it up either is .. well .. eermm .. still work in progress!! :mrgreen:

Ok .. thats a theory based on fact and is plausible based on how the mind works .. A Bad Hair day doesn't exist in reality .. nor does that HUGE spot on the end of a teenagers nose .. they only BELIEVE it and so their mind makes it reality .. likewise, if they believe the opposite - that the spot isn't that humongous, the mind will downplay it's significance and they won't "see" the spot when they look in the mirror ..

.. this is why Fat Lasses, with over-exagerated ego's compensating for their self-esteem issues wear tight leggins and think they look sexy ........ ;)

Shit .. I don't know if I've gone off topic there .. ahh .. what the hell .. :mrgreen: