It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:14 pm

Post subject: Hello!
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Hi I'm new on the forum just thought would say hello and see if anyone can help me. I collect ghost stories as a hobby and live in Lanchester but up until now I can't seem to find any from the village. It's a very old place so I can't believe there aren't any stories but I haven't found anything yet. Can anyone help?

Post subject: Re: Hello!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:35 am 
Someone Very Strange

Greetings from a hanger-on to the site

Angela....from my files...which admittedly are out of date (I wrote a book about 15 years ago on the haunted NE...but received no takers so it got shoved onto a CD and nearly thrown out))

Lanchester
A haunted council house was reported in a local newspaper the Newcastle Journal. The family were asking to be re-housed because of the paranormal activity, which was plaguing the house at the time.

The eight members of the family had been terrified by the ghosts presence, which first appeared on the 24th of December the previous year, and prior to the article appearing, two exorcisms had been attempted by The Reverend James Lovell of Esh and Canon George Beckwith of Lanchester. Both exorcisms had failed in their attempt, although both of the clergymen had been convinced of the presence of the ghost.

A BBC report for the 21st of January in 1971, detailed the visit to the haunted council house by a team of reporters and cameramen. The film crew stayed at the house until 5 in the morning, and whilst not seeing any apparitions, their senses were alerted to the presence of the supernatural and there were episodes of extreme cold, which at times made the handling of equipment difficult.

------------------------------------------------------
Also

Just up the road from you is Langley Hall - take my word for it from personal experience - it's haunted.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:10 pm 
Scaredy Cat

That's very interesting as I live on one of the council estates in Lanchester so would love to know where it was! Any idea how I might find the articles you mention?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:15 pm 
Someone Very Strange

Angela - sorry to say that I dumped all the paperwork in the bin when I couldn't get the book published - all that survives if the text on the disc.

the above is all I have for Lanchester

just trying to help.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:04 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Okay but thanks for the info anyway I'll see what else I can find!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:13 pm 
Someone Very Strange

I remembered where I originally found the info Tegner H. 1991.Ghosts of the North Country Page 12......have scanned for you.

Quote:
In the month of January, 1971 The Journal, a Newcastle daily paper of the Thomson Group, gave accounts of two haunted houses; one a hotel in Beadnell and another of a council house in Lanchester, County Durham. The latter is particularly interesting. In this case details of the number of the house, its name, if it had one, etcetera, are tactfully not given, but the description of the nature of the hauntings and the various efforts made to exorcise the spirit are all there in detail. I quote verbatim.

"Frightened 'ghost' family may ask for new home", say the headlines, and then.
"A family of eight will ask a County Durham Rural Council to rehouse them if a third attempt fails to rid their home of a ghost. It first appeared on Christmas Eve and has forced the family to flee from their four-bedroom house in Lanchester. Two vicars, the Reverend James Lovell, of Esh, and Canon George Beckwith of Lanchester, have visited the home and tried to exorcise the spirit. They both believe in its presence".

This first attempt at exorcism apparently met with little success for the B.B.C. on its eight o'clock news bulletin on 21st January, 1971, described the visit to this council house in Lanchester of one of their film units. The members of this team stayed in the house from mid¬night to 5 a.m. The leader of the unit and his team came away not having actually seen a ghost, but they appear to have both sensed and felt one, the atmosphere at certain times becoming icy cold so that their various items of equipment became difficult to handle. The leader, a Mr. Green, was certainly very convincing over the air whilst he was being inter¬viewed.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:17 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Cheers!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 am 
A Stiff

HI Angela, welcome to the NGI forums...we also have a facebook page with discussion on it too.
I'm one of the Sensitives of NGI so will ask our team if they know of any info from Lanchester too.
Good to have you onboard!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:05 am 
The Ferryman

A belated welcome from me Angela.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:13 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

welcome on board, honestly thought I had posted a welcome to this post, I remember reading your first posts.. old age creeping in I guess ;) but yea, any questions you may have, ask away

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:38 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Thanks for all the welcome messages everyone!