It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:56 am

Post subject: can you explain?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:43 am 
Someone We Know

Hi all,
Can you explain why this orb has a line part way through it? Just curious of what you think.

Attachments:
ps orb.jpg
ps orb.jpg [ 539.22 KiB | Viewed 1622 times ]
 Post subject: Re: can you explain?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:06 am 
The Ferryman

I stole this from http://www.theorbzone.com for simplicities sake. It explains why some 'orbs' can exhibit patterns.

The patterns shown in pale orbs are the results of imperfections in the lens.  All lenses are flawed but in expensive cameras multiple lenses are used to reduce imperfections. In cheaper cameras with only one lens these patterns/flaws are more visible.

Metaphorically, one way to look at this is to think of the lens as being like a window.  If you sit and look through a window your eyes see a picture - similar to the chip inside the camera - but what you see has to pass through the window - lens - first. 

So if the window is dirty - the lens flawed - you will see the dirt 'superimposed' onto the image of what is on the other side of the window.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:21 am 
Site Admin

Also Orbs are reflected highlights.
It could be that where this line appears theres no reflection.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:49 pm 
Someone We Know

Firstly, the first photo on this thread was taken with my old camera, I have since taken photos with my new camera that show the same orb with the line through it. Whats the probability of that happening?

Attachments:
ps jjj.jpg
ps jjj.jpg [ 544.46 KiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 pm 
Someone We Know

another pic using my new camera

Attachments:
psuuu.jpg
psuuu.jpg [ 546.46 KiB | Viewed 1604 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:18 am 
The Ferryman

Well I'm not sure of the exact probability, but I'd say it was higher that you capturing a spirit in the form of a small ball of energy with a line in it. Why would 'energy' have a line/mark in it anyway?

Sorry if I sound a bit flippant, but I don't think I'm going to change your (or indeed Angies) views on 'Orbs' no matter how many explanations I throw at you. It's fine to believe what you want and who am I tell you that you are wrong, it's just that I can't see a logical argument to support them sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:41 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

There are never any rights and wrongs in my views, half people believe in orbs being spirit, half don't believe, the topic of orbs will never end. Since hearing explinations myself regarding orbs It has opened my eyes on a lot of these pictures and yea I can say some do look like dust and yea possible dist around so yea that could be correct, but I still have my doubts on orbs as been dust all the time and I do believe that spirit are close by, sometimes even closer then you think, and if spirit want you to know they are around, that is the perfect time to show in my views.

orbs will always be an unsettled opinion with all.

I remember one time in a service where a medium gave some young girl a message and said (in similar words) 'your mum said she wished so hard that she lasted for your wedding day, she was so excited for you, she did not wish to leave this earthly plane before hand and if you look on your wedding pictures, there is one where you will see a spirit orb to the left side of you.' crazy enough the girl came back to church and showed us that very picture.

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:00 pm 
Elite Investigator

I've been through the whole orbs are spirits, and ooh there is a face in that orb, it was a learning experience for me. After many years of believing that orbs might be manifestation of spirit, I now believe them to be pretty much anything other than.

That said, in amongst this discussion, who is to say that the odd one here or there is not something other than dust or moisture? Honestly, it probably isn't, but catch me a full manifestation of a ghost on camera, I may be impressed :wink:

It does seem to come down to where your beliefs are on the spiritual spectrum, and for me personally, who does want to believe there might be something after we die, most of the stuff we try to convince ourselves of is a bit flaky in evidential terms.

It took me a long time to get here, but here I will stay. Open minded to the possibilities, but sceptical in my approach. I just think its the only way for anyone to gain any credibility in the subject area. I fully respect those who have belief in spirit, but until any evidence is found that is compelling to any of us, then for me, I will view orbs as technical abberations of the digital camera age, which when you look at the lack of evidence of orbs in older photos makes complete logical sense. Edit: though I have seen one or two light anomalies to be taken with old fashioned camera and film - by a person I had no reason to doubt. They weren't spherical orbs though..

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:09 pm 
The Ferryman

mark wrote:
That said, in amongst this discussion, who is to say that the odd one here or there is not something other than dust or moisture?

That may very well be true, but the problem is that there is no way of telling as the so called 'genuine' ones look identical to the explainable ones. We may as well throw the whole lot out and concentrate on looking for some real evidence.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

I'd suggest people understand what dust actually loosk like:

http://www.funsci.com/fun3_en/dust/dust.htm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:32 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

and looking at the pics of dust, I do not see a circular dust particle :P all mostly other shapes then circular

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:42 pm 
The Ferryman

Read the stuff on The Orb Zone Angie!

Orbs are not photos of the dust particles themselves, but the reflected light from the camera flash when it hits them. That is why they most often appear round.