It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Post subject: garden full of spirit.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:19 pm 
Someone We Know

I have put this picture on I took with a mobile phone a number of years ago now. It is so beautiful and the colour is gorgeous, but the only flowers in this garden were a few dandelions scattering the grass.

Attachments:
ps 3.jpg
ps 3.jpg [ 264.63 KiB | Viewed 1659 times ]
 Post subject: Re: garden full of spirit.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 am 
Site Admin

Unfortunately this is a result of Lens flare caused by the sun. Nothing paranormal at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:24 am 
The Ferryman

got to agree with the Lens Flare analysis.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:42 pm 
Someone We Know

I dont mean to sound awkward, but wouldnt the camera have to be facing the sun for lens flare to occur? The little girl in the pic was a very small 2 yr old and at the time the photo was taken there was nothing unusual on the screen. I could even see the picture clearly, if it was lens flare then surely I would have re positioned my self away from the sun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:56 pm 
Site Admin

you can see the direction of the sun by the shadows on the ground (from the slide)
So the sun was indeed in front of you, the angle of which I believe is why only part of the picture is obscured.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:23 pm 
Someone We Know

Hi all,
Its the figure circled here I wanted people to explain to me.

Attachments:
ps with circle.jpg
ps with circle.jpg [ 275.71 KiB | Viewed 1638 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:23 pm 
Elite Investigator

Firstly, I would like to say that it is a lovely picture, that does look almost heavenly (whatever that is) in its content. :)

That said, because it is a lovely picture, does not follow that we should necessarily see it as evidence of the paranormal.

Yes, it looks like it is covered with ethereal pink flowers, and yes, there is what looks like a pair of legs / lower body on the left of the picture.

The trouble is that for me, these are easily explained as picture distortions, as has already been mentioned. The body on the left is being seen most likely because we start to see shapes or pictures in anything that appears out of the ordinary - in this case a pair of legs / body which could be described as the phenomenon known as pareidolia.
Another slightly different example of this is seeing faces or pictures in clouds. Things that really exist only in our imagination but are projected onto clouds..

The most likely reality is, that we don't see these thought provoking snapshots of time in real life, because they are created by camera technology / imagery distorting light and making what certainly is a really attractive picture. But for me, that is all it is - in this case, a lovely picture.

I think we have to be realistic about pictures, because most of them are explainable through natural occurences. Yes there are pictures which defy reasonable explanation, but they are quite rare.

For me, that is what I am looking for from my own and anyone's pictures. The 1 in 100 pictures or so that might just be something more than we can reasonably explain naturally. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:45 pm 
Elite Investigator

A really good example of pareidolia is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marti ... ropped.jpg

What I find most interesting is that on its own, the face is really convincing, but when you look at the bigger picture, it looks less convincing, and more like what it is - in this case natural features on the surface of Mars.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:30 am 
Someone We Know

if u change the colour to black and white u can see clearly the full body of the boy I circled, also there is a small chinese boy half way down where I have circled. This little boy is very clear when enlarged.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Whilst I agree it does look like a human form its almost certainly Pareidolia oten called Matrixing also. Its a case of if you beleive you captured a ghost, a ghost you will see.

We have to remember that cameras on phones are not the best, these days yes, theres some high megapixel cameras, but the lens are small and usually of the cheaper variety.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:08 am 
Site Admin

I have inverted the image and swapped to greyscale:

Attachments:
ps%20with%20circle.jpg
ps%20with%20circle.jpg [ 164.75 KiB | Viewed 1628 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:15 am 
The Ferryman

mark wrote:
A really good example of pareidolia is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Marti ... ropped.jpg

What I find most interesting is that on its own, the face is really convincing, but when you look at the bigger picture, it looks less convincing, and more like what it is - in this case natural features on the surface of Mars.

How dare you mock the face on Mars!!!

In truth though it is actually more likely that the face on Mars DOES exist as we see it than what a "face in the mist" would.

Firstly, the "face on Mars" is a physical thing - the rock formation (whatever it actually looks like) actually exists, secondly, it's seen on multiple photographs (and not on others), and thirdly, there is a much higher probability and is scientifically possible that life once did exist on Mars previously and "carved a face" out of the rock - whereas ghosts and life after death have no basis.

As for the original photo - nice pic! I can fully understand how this could cause people to think of a supernatural explanation but I would go with the sunlight explanation first.

The reason its red is that the sun will be at a particularly shallow angle in relation to the lense of the camera (plus the atmosphere). Red Light has a longer wavelength than other colours and so with the "thickness" of the atmosphere and lens that the light has to pass through, the colours with the shorter wavelengths (blues and greesn etc) will have been scattered only allowing the red light to be captured on the photo.

Its a similar effect to the old "Red Sky At Night" saying - the sun is generally below the horizon and shining on the underside of the clouds that we can see - but due to the extra atmosphere the light has to pass through given the suns position, only the long wavelength red light hits the clouds making them appear red.

Another example is the "Blood Red Moon" - we can only see the moon due to the light from the sun hitting and reflecting from it. When the light from the sun is passing (and bending) through our more of our atmosphere than normal before hitting the moon, the atmosphere again is only allowing the red light to pass through and scattering the rest of the colours, therefore, we see the "Blood Red Moon".

Nice pic though!