It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 am

Post subject: Kidding ones self
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:53 pm 
The Ferryman

Why do you think it is that some people cling desperately onto the fact that some images are paranormal when clearly they aren't? Other than 'orbs' the other most common kind of photo are those involving pareidolia.

'Can you see the figure?' they ask

'Well I can make out something that looks like a figure which is actually the refection of the trees on the window' comes the reply.

'It's not a refection, look you can make out it's got eyes and wearing a bonnet'

and so it goes on….

Post subject: Re: Kidding ones self
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

these are what I jokingly call "F***ing Idiots"

Oh hang on :)

No some people once they see something jsut cannot accept that it could be a perfectly normal reflection or just a simple pattern on the wall.
I've met a lot of people like this and to be fair we all have a tendency to stick to our oppinions and thoughts.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:11 pm 
The Ferryman

But there are people in the 'paranormal community' who do this and should really know better. As long as there's some decent and compelling evidence for the paranormal out there you should just chuck all this guff away. It doesn't make you a cynic to admit that something isn't paranormal.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:11 pm 
The Ferryman

Cherry picking evide ...... you know the score.

We all live in a kind of denial about the reality in which we live. Forget ghosts for a moment, we do it in our everyday lives too. We all justify our existence, our view, our opinion, the clothes we wear, the way we act etc etc because we need recognition for who we are.

There isn't a problem with that up to a point. We can probably all come up with examples with people we know where it gets "unhealthy" for them and others around them to do it. Yet, we still do it.

We want to be recognised. We want people to say "You know - you're right" - because we put great stock in the recognition that others give us. The more insecure about ourselves we are, the greater the importance that others opinions about us is. We even kid ourselves by telling ourselves that we don't give a damn about what others think about us ... but the truth of the matter is we do .. everyone of us does on some level. Some more so than others. We want to be accepted and recognised by our peers.

So when we come forward with photo - we're claiming we see a ghost. We DO see a ghost - and this fact will be recognised. Oh, and if we can REALLY point it out and create converts, then they'll think we're really special.

We want to be right. We don't want it pointing out that we got something wrong. So for those who's entire self-image rests on others agreeing with them, they'll point to a funny smudge and claim it's a hand, we'll say that light is the glint in the eye .. it is .. it really is .. it fucking is god dammit!!

People want recognition and acceptance. They want others approval - and to accomplish that - they need to prove what they believe. Even when they say they don't give a damn. Because the worse thing possible for some people is the recognition that they were wrong about something they believed - because then they have to admit that they can't even trust the things they convince themselves of.

I don't know if I've just warbled on about any old bollox there, but I know what I mean ... :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:55 pm 
Someone We Know

I think the only person to really know whether the pictures are authentic is the person who took them. I also think if you are close minded then no matter how much someone points out a spirit in a photo, then you will never see it. I think this is why mediums have to be open minded, as mediumistic people tend to see more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:49 am 
Site Admin

The problem is Lynnnora2, that there are, as far as I know, no genuine pictures of ghosts.
And even if a picture was genuine, how can you tell?

As a piece of evidence, a picture can only be used for weighing up whether an investigation is worthwhile. They are too easy to fake and interpret. I have yet to see a single picture that would convince me that ghosts exist.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:24 pm 
The Ferryman

I agree that the person who takes a photo knows that it authentic and not tampered with in any way, but that doesn't mean that what the photo shows is paranormal.

As for 'close minded' people failing to see an alleged spirit on a photograph, you could flip this round and say that firm believers will still see 'spirit' in a photograph when the actual reason for the anomaly has been pointed out. Their need to believe is clouding their judgement of what is actually there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:40 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

I know what you guys think of orbs and blah blah whatever, but when me and Carmen where doing a derelict building last week we only got about 5% of the pictures with orbs..... now yes I know it is an old building and yes I know derelict can also mean a load of dust, but how come only 5% got orbs rather then the full 90% - 100% surley all pics taken would of got one or two orbs rather then the odd pic if it was due to dust only.... we picked up on loads too in our spiritual way.... hopefully we will get Irene (another medium) and Reagan from this group to come along too, see what Irene picks up on

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:49 pm 
The Ferryman

Well the dust has to be a certain distance from the camera lens for it to reflect the flash back at the camera.

So what are you saying... because only 5% of the pics you took had 'orbs' on them and it was dusty, then they were possibly spirit?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

If its too close the dust becomes invisible, to far it doesnt reflect the flash. Just right and you get orbs.
So in 5% of the pictures, you got the combination of dust, distance and reflectiveness just right.

The theory that orbs are spirits is totally flawed. even the ones that appear to have tails have been disproved. I have no idea which idiot came up with the theory, but I understand that orbs have been captured since the early 20th century, before the invention of Digital cameras.

Small lens and distance between Lens and flash on compact digital cameras means thast Orbs are a certainty to be captured. Get a DSLR like mine, and although possible to capture, theres far far less images with orbs in them. I think I have captured 2 orbs in over 1000 images. Funnily enough its probable, and certain in the last one, that the dust reflected light off another cameras flash.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

you believe in what you wanna believe in and I shall believe in what I wanna believe in. Me and Carmen where trying to get spirit close that night and we got a lot of feelings from them, even got a name of Lily. Carmen got a few names, but will have to listen to dictaphone

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:01 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

Quote:
Get a DSLR like mine

didnt you say they where very expensive

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm 
The Ferryman

It's fine believing in what you want to believe in, but just taking onboard the facts about 'Orbs' doesn't mean that there aren't any spirits about the place or that you are not in contact with them.

All it means is those circles of light that you get on your compact digital cameras are most certainly not connected with spirit because we know what causes them.

When I first learned about 'Orbs' many years ago, I, like many people thought that they were connected with 'ghosts' somehow, but now I'm ok to hold my hands up and say that I was wrong.

As people investigate more and more into the paranormal we learn more and more, and we should not be afraid to accept evidence that counters what we've previously believed to be paranormal 'evidence'.