It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:45 am



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:54 pm 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Posts: 10887
Location: Stockton-on-Tees
Here's a photo that was posted on our facebook wall to take a look at. I've posted it here with permission from the photographer. She says:

" I have photos taken in a lighthouse, looking out around the lens and toward the sea. The digital camera captured the image of an elderly man, stooped a bit. This image is gray and opaque, blocking out the wooden framework of the window behind "him". While at the same time the wall has become transparent, and the sea and rocks below are visible."

While it is a very haunting image she's not saying it's paranormal but would like peoples opinions on it.


Attachments:
lighthouse.jpg
lighthouse.jpg [ 28.02 KiB | Viewed 2541 times ]

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations -
Messing around with things we don't understand since 2005
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:47 pm 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 10488
Looks to me like somebody has took a photo out to sea, through a window, and captured a reflection - now, whether the guy in the hat was actually stood there or not will only be known by the photographer ..

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations
Latest blatant plug for some stuff that I'm in the middle of!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:54 pm 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Posts: 10887
Location: Stockton-on-Tees
I am assured that only the photographer and her female friend (Two 40-something women) were present in the lighthouse. There was heavy fog, a low pressure system moving in at the front edge of hurricane Irene.....so not a lot of sun to move light through those prisms.....

She does however accept that it may be a weird reflection of a tourist standing in the parking lot brought about by the fresnel lens. If this is the case then it is a good example of how you can get a shadow when the person casting it is nowhere near and if it's not then it is very strange indeed.

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations -
Messing around with things we don't understand since 2005


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:47 pm 
Offline
A Ratty-Tap-Tap
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:35 pm
Posts: 2672
Location: Stockton on Tees
looks interesting, do you know what the spikey thing is behind this man? if it is on the outside, it could well be an image of a man, if the spikey object is inside, it would be interesting. seems like both man and spikey object are both on same side.

_________________
Image

been contacting spirit since 2006


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:39 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: Billingham
its a bit too neat for my liking.
I remain unconvinced as to authenticity.

_________________
I aint afraid of no ghost

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:00 pm 
Offline
Someone We Know
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:25 pm
Posts: 44
Location: Consett, County Durham
The ghost of Freddy Kreuger? ;)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:43 am 
Offline
Elite Investigator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm
Posts: 782
Very odd. Even if it is the reflection of a real person, they are striking quite a ghostly pose. :shock:

Really interesting photo, but difficult to comment too much without having been there at the time. I'm assuming because of the angle of the glass, there is no reflection of the photographer.

Not really sure what else its possible to say..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:00 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: Billingham
When you zoom in on this pic, the foreground pixelates before the shadow does.
I think its not genuine personally.

_________________
I aint afraid of no ghost

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:14 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Posts: 10887
Location: Stockton-on-Tees
Personally I do not think it is a 'fake', but it do think it's most likely a reflection from somewhere but it's impossible to tell just from a photo. I've darkened the image a bit here.


Attachments:
lighthousedark.jpg
lighthousedark.jpg [ 28.5 KiB | Viewed 2515 times ]

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations -
Messing around with things we don't understand since 2005
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:34 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Posts: 10887
Location: Stockton-on-Tees
It is interesting that the figure is obscuring the reflection of the vertical struts from the other side of the lighthouse. This would indicate that the 'man' was actually stood inside the lighthouse rather that a reflection from outside. You can see what I mean more clearly here.


Attachments:
lighthouseemboss.jpg
lighthouseemboss.jpg [ 65.72 KiB | Viewed 2512 times ]

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations -
Messing around with things we don't understand since 2005
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:53 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 10488
Still saying its a reflection showing the scene behind the photographer .. its still open to debate and only the photographer would know whether someone else was present and behind them when they took the pic.

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations
Latest blatant plug for some stuff that I'm in the middle of!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:58 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Posts: 10887
Location: Stockton-on-Tees
I agree. It's really going be boil down to the testimony of the photographer. She claims it was just 2 middle aged women in the lighthouse and we can either take it or leave it I suppose.

I know if I had personally took the photo and knew there wasn't a man in a hat up there with me, I'd be pretty stumped by the photo even If still couldn't prove it to other people.

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations -
Messing around with things we don't understand since 2005


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:16 pm 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 10488
Yeah, I agree .. But, old Occams would say the simple answer is ......

Jesus .. starting to sound like Randi!!!! :shock:

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations
Latest blatant plug for some stuff that I'm in the middle of!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: Billingham
Jay wrote:
Yeah, I agree .. But, old Occams would say the simple answer is ......

Jesus .. starting to sound like Randi!!!! :shock:



And some of us couldnt give a flying fig about occams. ;)

_________________
I aint afraid of no ghost

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:17 pm 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Posts: 10887
Location: Stockton-on-Tees
:D


Attachments:
razor.gif
razor.gif [ 38.97 KiB | Viewed 2501 times ]

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations -
Messing around with things we don't understand since 2005
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:52 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 10488
;)

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations
Latest blatant plug for some stuff that I'm in the middle of!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:21 am 
Offline
Elite Investigator

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 pm
Posts: 902
Hey Mark - did the photographer happen to mention which lighthouse the photo was taken at?

I only ask because if you can find that out, you could try and contact the owners and ask if they have mannequins or something of that nature on display.

I know you said the women who took the photo assured you that she and her friend were the ones present, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they missed something like that or - dare I say it - they're telling porkies!

If nothing else, it would at least rule out some of the possibilities.

Just my thoughts...

Peace J.

Ps. I'm loving the new-look website! :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:23 am 
Offline
Elite Investigator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm
Posts: 782
My opinion of this photo is that it is either a really good photo of a paranormal nature, or a really good creation. I don't like using the word fake.

With a lot of photos, there is some uncertainty. For instance photos of mists or ghostly outlines, so the debate remains open.

With this one, it is clearly a person in silhouette, and we have the testimony from an eye witness that nobody was there. Which for me, leaves the possibility of some kind of photographic anomaly, or a real spirit in silhouette. Of course if we do not take the photo at face value, then we disregard the testimony and leave the option of a created photo, which is obviously not the favourable option..


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:07 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: Billingham
I dont think we should ever be in a situation where we feel we cant say its fake.
There is no testimony, we can ONLY go on what we see in the image submitted.

For me its too "clean" I will shout fake, because its infinately more likely to be fake than real.

_________________
I aint afraid of no ghost

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:55 am 
Offline
Elite Investigator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:41 pm
Posts: 782
I'm just aware that for me, fake is a strong word, which i think in this case, would basically accuse someone of deliberately creating a photo so to deceive others. I'm not saying its possible to call the photo genuine either, but its just as huge a leap to call it fake in my view. :)

Edit: btw, that doesn't mean I'm saying you can't ever call a photo fake, like some of the old famous ones posted recently.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:45 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: Billingham
I agree with the word fake being a strong word. But at the same time it means the same as "not genuine" or "not original".

Its very easy to manipulate a photo these days and theres plenty of them already faked doing the rounds, the locations tend to change though.

_________________
I aint afraid of no ghost

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 am 
Offline
Elite Investigator

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 pm
Posts: 902
mark wrote:
I'm just aware that for me, fake is a strong word, which i think in this case, would basically accuse someone of deliberately creating a photo so to deceive others. I'm not saying its possible to call the photo genuine either, but its just as huge a leap to call it fake in my view. :)


I think you're right. At the moment there just isn't enough evidence to support the idea that this photograph is a genuine attempt at fake.

However, it makes sense (at least, in my opinion) to do some background research on the lighthouse. You never know what you might discover.

Anth wrote:
I dont think we should ever be in a situation where we feel we cant say its fake.


I disagree, mate. We can't just accuse someone of faking an image because we don't know all of the facts. At the same time, we cannot just take the witness' word as being the gospel truth.

Anth wrote:
There is no testimony, we can ONLY go on what we see in the image submitted.


But that doesn't stop us from digging a little deeper to try and find the truth in these situations. :wink:

Peace J.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:52 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: Billingham
triplow wrote:
mark wrote:
I'm just aware that for me, fake is a strong word, which i think in this case, would basically accuse someone of deliberately creating a photo so to deceive others. I'm not saying its possible to call the photo genuine either, but its just as huge a leap to call it fake in my view. :)


I think you're right. At the moment there just isn't enough evidence to support the idea that this photograph is a genuine attempt at fake.

However, it makes sense (at least, in my opinion) to do some background research on the lighthouse. You never know what you might discover.

Anth wrote:
I dont think we should ever be in a situation where we feel we cant say its fake.


I disagree, mate. We can't just accuse someone of faking an image because we don't know all of the facts. At the same time, we cannot just take the witness' word as being the gospel truth.

Anth wrote:
There is no testimony, we can ONLY go on what we see in the image submitted.


But that doesn't stop us from digging a little deeper to try and find the truth in these situations. :wink:

Peace J.



Digging deeper into what? its a photograph where there is no evidence of anythign paranromal. The only way paranormal comes into it is if you take the statement as gospel truth.
The lantern is reflected in silhouette and so is the person stood there with them.
Nothing looks out of place, nothing looks paranormal and indeed theres no evidence, only a testimony.

As its infinately much more likely to be a case of misatken testimony why should we invest time in looking into it?
the evidence, which is the photo, contains nothing unusual.

_________________
I aint afraid of no ghost

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:33 pm 
Offline
Elite Investigator

Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:15 pm
Posts: 902
Wouldn't it be better to know for certain whether the photograph was deliberately faked rather then accuse the photographer of faking the photograph first. If something can be disproved, for whatever reason, is that not better than leaving it wide open as it stands right now.

Now I'm not saying there's anything of supernatural province in the photo, but considering it was posted on a forum by someone claiming it is paranormal, would it not be worth trying to find out what caused the image to appear in the first place?

going back to what I said earlier, if Mark can find out where the lighthouse is, a little more digging could prove, once and for all, whether the photo was faked. I agree that it's more difficult to prove it's authenticity, although determining whether the photo was faked might be easier than it sounds.

Peace J.

PS. It's nice to see you're still as cynical as ever, my old friend! Haha ;-)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Lighthouse image
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:44 pm 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 10488
I'm not a fan of the photo - but whether its a "fake" or a false-positive then it still needs looking into if possible.

Say, for instance, its a genuine fake .. the role of the investigator isn't all about dancing wardrobes, flashy lights and being spooked in some woods - isn't it also about understanding the psychology involved in all this and, by extension, understanding what drives people to fakery (which possibly accounts for a large proportion of paranormal reports)?

Likewise if a false-positive - we need to be able to understand what causes people (and educate them??) to scream that every Orb is Ghost and how reflections in windows could just be .. reflections ..

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations
Latest blatant plug for some stuff that I'm in the middle of!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Theme designed by stylerbb.net © 2008
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
All times are UTC [ DST ]