It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 am

Post subject: Asylum Cam
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:50 am 
The Ferryman

Can u not post any images from Asylum Cam .. they don't like it and think its a little bit naughty ..

.. Anybody who does so will be sent to bed without any supper ..

If you you've posted any Asylum Cam photos that I've missed, will you delete the links to them please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:50 pm 
A Stiff

Where is the Asylum Cam? Which asylum is it?

tc :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:51 pm 
The Ferryman

I dunno really - wasn't anything to do with me - all I know is that it was somewhere in the US ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:52 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

When I posted these pics they threatened to ban me...and they called me a nOOb. LOL!

Post subject: Re: Asylum Cam
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

Seems like those good folks over at the Asylum cam have been up to no good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

I think its petty to stop people linking to stuff....as long as its properly credited I dont think theres any problem with it at all.

If the place has been used to install nasty stuff on peoples computers shame on them and thow em in jail under the computer misuse act.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

Anth wrote:
I think its petty to stop people linking to stuff....as long as its properly credited I dont think theres any problem with it at all.

If the place has been used to install nasty stuff on peoples computers shame on them and thow em in jail under the computer misuse act.

They do snoop. I posted asylum cam pics on here and they tracked me down. Hence Jays thread.

Weirdo's

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Mike2412 wrote:
Anth wrote:

They do snoop. I posted asylum cam pics on here and they tracked me down. Hence Jays thread.

Weirdo's

We are all s'posed to be in this together......seems some people think they are more elite than others.

I also understand that linking a pic can cause bandwidth problems.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 pm 
The Ferryman

Linking to a picture offsite, can raise the bandwidth costs of the site where the picture is housed. So, I can understand why people would get uppity about it .. If people linked to pictures on the NGI webby, ok, I wouldn't be too fussed about it .. but, if 100 did .. or a 1000 .. or a 100,000,000 .. then we'd find our bandwidth would quickly disapear up our own ass and it would cost us fortune.

Similar (but not for the reasons above) is posting things on a forum or website without a relevent link to the original article. So if anyone posts a news story on here, then I will always encourage them to include the link to the original article and every website should do the same - even for their own good.

If there is an orginal piece of text on the webby - for instance, one of our investigation reports - and someone copies either the whole or part of it .. then BOTH websites will get penalised for it by the search engines becuase it will get classed as duplicate content. The algorythms compare the text - and even if you change a few words - if a large % of it is the same, then both get whacked.

Now, the copying website will get penalised more because the original text will be stamped as being older - but, even then - the original site gets hit also. So, its common curtusy to put a link on your page to the orginal article because 1) it gives the original website a 'little bit back' in the "importance" stakes (ie .. a website pointing to another raises the importance of the other in the ranking and search engines) .. and 2) give a little bit back to the linking site because the algorthm see's the two seperate pages being relevent.

So when no link is there (and I admit - sometimes its hard or can be forgotton) - then both sites get penalised and the site with the original content gets hit through no fault of their own!

So - in an ideal world - don't directly link to pictures .. host them elsewhere .. and if copying a body of text to post elsewhere - make sure a link to the original page accompanies it!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:46 pm 
Site Admin

Jay wrote:
Linking to a picture offsite, can raise the bandwidth costs of the site where the picture is housed. So, I can understand why people would get uppity about it .. If people linked to pictures on the NGI webby, ok, I wouldn't be too fussed about it .. but, if 100 did .. or a 1000 .. or a 100,000,000 .. then we'd find our bandwidth would quickly disapear up our own ass and it would cost us fortune.

Similar (but not for the reasons above) is posting things on a forum or website without a relevent link to the original article. So if anyone posts a news story on here, then I will always encourage them to include the link to the original article and every website should do the same - even for their own good.

If there is an orginal piece of text on the webby - for instance, one of our investigation reports - and someone copies either the whole or part of it .. then BOTH websites will get penalised for it by the search engines becuase it will get classed as duplicate content. The algorythms compare the text - and even if you change a few words - if a large % of it is the same, then both get whacked.

Now, the copying website will get penalised more because the original text will be stamped as being older - but, even then - the original site gets hit also. So, its common curtusy to put a link on your page to the orginal article because 1) it gives the original website a 'little bit back' in the "importance" stakes (ie .. a website pointing to another raises the importance of the other in the ranking and search engines) .. and 2) give a little bit back to the linking site because the algorthm see's the two seperate pages being relevent.

So when no link is there (and I admit - sometimes its hard or can be forgotton) - then both sites get penalised and the site with the original content gets hit through no fault of their own!

So - in an ideal world - don't directly link to pictures .. host them elsewhere .. and if copying a body of text to post elsewhere - make sure a link to the original page accompanies it!!!!

Yeah but its still really Gay to go on other forums and piss n moan about it.
It happens, if you dont want it happening then theres lots of little scripts available to prevent it and they are free if you look.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:11 pm 
The Ferryman

Of course it is .. I'm just saying thats why some do .. you got to remember, for pics and videos - Asylum Cam is a big website .. so if 1000s of their images or videos are being hot-linked then their bandwidth is getting killed .. and slowing things down for the people who do visit their site - not to mention potentially the higher costs they have to pay for their hosting.

Yes its Gay and a bit over the top and they obviously don't have better things to do with their time - :D but we have to look at the bigger picture ..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:34 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

lol do people still pay for hosting? Next you'll be telling me people still use internet explorer or something equally outrageous.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:47 pm 
The Ferryman

MOST people still use explorer Mike .. Firefox is just so far up its own arse, I refuse to use it .. :D

And yes - people still have to pay for hosting, sadly!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:11 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

They have good reason to be up their own ass. Its way better and faster than IE.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Mike2412 wrote:
They have good reason to be up their own ass. Its way better and faster than IE.

Yeah well I use Dos so nyer nyer :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:52 pm 
The Ferryman

Mike2412 wrote:

To be honest - I wouldn't agree with that .. I have both IE and Firefox on my PC and IE (vers. 7) is way faster .. However, Firefox is way up its own ass when it comes to developing websites for it .. IE will help you out .. it "realises" what your trying to do and so has things happen logically ..

Firefox says in smarmy voice "Well - I know what your trying to do, but stuff you - I'm not going to help out because I'm only going to do things in a way that meets certain standards .. Nope! I don't care that it takes 2 hours to get something looking exactly the same as what IE lets you do in 2 minutes .. Nope! Not listening!.. <whistle whistle whistle> .. " ... and even then, it screws things up.

Nope, until firefox drops the smarmy attitude then it can go and jump in my eyes - and if that makes me a Microsoft lovechild, so be it!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:57 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

Bill Gates lover ;)