It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:58 am

Post subject: Heugh Gun Battery, Hartlepool
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:27 pm 
Scaredy Cat

An on going investigation!

Started volunteering at the Heugh Gun Battery recently to boost my CV and get me 'out and about' whilst helping the place out with general maintenance, giving tours, giving talks to school groups etc etc.

So while i'm down there i thought it would be a good chance for me to start doing a bit of investigation after reading paranormal reports of the site, i want my own evidence or to debunk the claims. What sparked my interest was another volunteer mentioning a ghost hunting group and what they had found. Just a couple of EVP's but EVP's that would suggest intelligence rather than residual energy.

Anyway, i've been doing a bit on my own, going down into the underground area with an EVP recorder and my camera, inviting any spirits present to come forward. So far i have caught nothing, but i won't give up. I visited the Battery today to volunteer, and was tasked with sweeping out the underground area..."champion"....so off i toddle and stick the recorder on and go about sweeping up. Just as i'm beginning to think i'm flogging a dead horse here, the room had a massive temperature change to freezing and it felt like someone had walked past (no wind down there). I turned but nothing was there. The temperature increased again, but i was sure i could hear distant conversation. So i sat and listened...yep. About 15 minutes later the manageress and a visitor came down the stairs on a tour so i thought it was them. But when they left the conversation continued!! I even turned the artillery fire off on the cd player and i could hear talking, but when i went up and out of the underground area to check, no one was about. When i went back down, the conversation had stopped. Needless to say my recorder has NOT picked it up. I'm gutted about that.

I will keep this updated as and when i 'investigate' :wink:

Post subject: Re: Heugh Gun Battery, Hartlepool
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:47 am 
The Ferryman

Sounds like you are doing a great job.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:33 am 
Scaredy Cat

Thanks Mark.

Another experience to add to this.

Yesterday there was a school group in for a tour and talks etc. They spend the whole day there doing various activities. As a rule i don't have any recording equipment when children are around, no camera and no voice recorder so no hard evidence.

Anyway yesterday i was shadowing groups and learning from the other volunteers giving the talks. As we went into the underground magazine and into the trenches, a volunteer was giving a talk about how bad it was in the trench etc and then the kids, teacher and our volunteer all went round to the medical wing and i sat so i could see them and so i could also see right down the other end, where there is a 'window' through to where they used to make up the shells. (you will know where i mean if you've been)

So sat there listening to our volunteer talking, and something caught my eye at the end in this 'window'. Now i've slept on it, and after thinking everything through i am 100% there was someone there. It was hard to see in the pitch black of the window but there was definitely a light brown colour in the shape of a face, neck, shoulders and a cap on, as though someone was peeking over to have a look. At that distance i couldn't make out any features to the face, it just looked blank.

I didn't want to say anything in case i scared the kids so i looked the other way, looked back and the figure was there but began to fade, until it was all black dark again. There was no sense of dread, or fear, and like i've said before i could park my arse and fall asleep in that underground area it is that warm and welcoming (to me). I don't believe there is any evil down there.

So that was that gone, i listened in to the volunteer again and after about 5 minutes something touched the shin area on my leg. Has anyone ever owned a dog? You know when they sniff your leg, they push their nose into your leg up and down, up and down trying to get a good sniff? Well that's what it felt like on my right leg, then my left leg had something brush past it. Strange. Nothing there of course.

As we were leaving another volunteer was coming down the stairs to say our time was up, so i asked if he'd been down there before (where i'd seen the figure) "no but ask *another volunteer* he might have been" so i did....and he was nowhere near it either. The volunteer i told asked "what did you see like?" so i told him i wasn't sure but i'm sure i saw a person peeping over at me and he said "ah you'll get used to them" :lol:

So hopefully the spirits of the Gun Battery are finally warming up to me and hopefully some good evidence will be caught in the near future. Going tomorrow with my recording devices while i sweep up, no pesky kids around this time :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:41 am 
The Ferryman

Interesting account Frazer. We've been to the gun battery a fair few times over the years. I've not experienced anything odd there myself but I'm sure Jay has. Before it wet through it's refurbishments I think.

We'd be interested hear any audio date that you collect at the place. Keep in touch.