It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:16 pm

Post subject: Public 'Ghost Hunts'
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:23 am 
The Ferryman

Would you ever pay to go on a public 'ghost hunt' these days?

I don't think that I personally would. Sure they can be a bit of fun, but I just know that I would find the whole experience a bit frustrating after all this time.

Post subject: Re: Public 'Ghost Hunts'
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 am 
Someone Very Strange

NO

I never have in the past - and don't see why I should lower my standards now.

I ran a couple of charity ones (got coerced into it) and that's put me off for life - nearly made me give up on my paranormal research too.

Public Ghost Hunt - what an awful idea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Admin

I really dont like any kind of "entertainment" like this.
However I will do something to help out a charity as NGI used to do with Butterwick. I'd rather not organise it, and I would prefer small numbers and I would always stress this is for entertainment.....not a real investigation.

In my oppinion it would be better that NGI were simply sponsored to investigate spomewhere and give that money to charity.

I am very happy that NGI no longer does public hunts......if they resumed I fully beleive I would have to reconsider my position.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:04 pm 
The Ferryman

I can't see that happening Anth.

As far as paranormal investigation goes they are pointless. Yeah they may be fun for guests as a one off, and charity is always good, but I just can't understand how serious research groups are content to keep doing endless 'ghost hunts' under the guise of genuine investigation.

in the end I guess it just boils to them wanting help to pay the location costs of a 'famous' paranormal location, but what's the point in that?

I think people should stop fooling themselves.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:07 pm 
Someone Very Strange

Quote:
I think people should stop fooling themselves.

you don't ask for much do you... :shock:

next you'll want people to believe that politicians (sometimes) don't tell the truth :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:29 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

I have paid for hunts before, and have paid for one for January 2013. still will pay for hunts as they are interesting, specially to explore buildings and the things that you pick up on

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:26 pm 
Elite Investigator

I think I probably would still pay to go on one, but it would be for my own interest and access to the place out of public visiting hours. Trouble is, you have to filter out all the stuff going on around you, but I still think there is something to be gained if you have a particular interest in a place.

Obviously its still better going on a private investigaton, so having said all that, its unlikely I would pay to be a paranormal punter these days.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with Mark, dont think I would like to be instructed by another team. I also wouldn't be able to keep quiet when they inevitably turned "woo" even if it was only to provide entertainment.

But, we usualyl pay to get inot places anyway, so we are kind of paying punters.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:21 pm 
Elite Investigator

On one ghost 'hunt' with a commercial company (a few years back) I still remember people being convinced that part of a metal shutter or door rattling in the wind was a 'spirit' laughing at us all. Now given that it was 3 in the morning and we were all very tired, they can be forgiven. Heck, I was nearly convinced myself, but the sceptic in me soon realised what the noise was. They wouldn't be told though...and you could tell the hosts were reluctant to tell them the boring truth in case it 'ruined their night'.

Now from a psychological angle, that was really interesting, but as far as ghosts or phenomena go, it was boring. Nothing. The trouble is, when you have invested time and money, you DO start to convince yourself that anything remotely unusual is paranormal. It definitely pays to have a good sceptic around. I'm not sure commercial groups would necessarily agree, but a good reasonable and honest sceptic (not cynic) works wonders for allowing people to see the truth behind most alleged activity.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:30 pm 
The Ferryman

There does seem to be that pressure on a lot of people on public investigations who are so desperate to experience something having paid for the privilege to be there, will take anything at all as paranormal.

I've felt under pressure to keep my mouth shut in the past for exactly that reason of 'ruining peoples night', but I usually find away of diplomatically suggesting what something could really have been.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:57 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

all views are interesting in any event, I always welcome on board what others think a certain noise is. Explinations are good. Makes me laugh when someone says 'I smell chips' then everyone nods in agreement lol

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 am 
Scaredy Cat

free ghost hunts would be ideal, but some locations charge therefore it costs if you want to go.. freebies a bonus! I paid as a guest to souter forgot what team did it now but it was canny just for the fact it was a place I wanted to do and never got it booked for our team...