It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:06 pm

Post subject: Is equipment expected?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:48 am 
The Ferryman

As most of us know, the vast majority of equipment that is commonly used for paranormal investigation is a wast of time.

Do you think that in order to appear 'professional' (at least with the general public), that a team needs to carry a lot of this useless junk around with them?

Post subject: Re: Is equipment expected?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Admin

if they carry this equipment to find ghosts then its a waste of time. If they use the equipment like we do, to eliminate known factors then I guess it helps with a professional image. Like we always explain, this equipment doesnt prove theres a haunting. It elminates outside factors.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:08 am 
The Ferryman

yeah, it's just a shame that more teams don't use equipment like that.

Sometimes though it's still hard to get through to a client that the 'equipment' doesn't 'detect ghosts' even when you explain to them exactly what its for.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:33 pm 
Elite Investigator

It's us humans, we seem to be obsessed with technology, which is good in many cases, but not always much if any benefit (arguably) in others, like the paranormal. I was once told that your senses and a pen/paper are all you really need to investigate initially, and then maybe on another visit, bring in some equipment for recording potential evidence.

I think that maybe our increased need for instant gratification, in this case brought about by popular TV programmes, that helped create the illusion of ghosts on every visit to an alleged haunted location, makes gadgets almost second nature on a 'ghost hunt' type event.

in my younger days, I used to do a lot of fishing, and never really had any expensive equipment, but enjoyed what I did immensely. Ok, I probably couldn't afford the stuff, but even so, I'm not a fan even now. You can spend thousands on that hobby, and yes it may bring some benefit, but its not essential. It seems kind of similiar to the paranormal, in that for some people, increasing levels of equipment is now expected if you want to be taken seriously. Shame really.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:36 pm 
The Ferryman

and clients have often seen those shows too and expect you to have it regardless or else you can't be a 'serious group' so it's still probably good to drag those silver flight cases along even if they do just sit there for the most part.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:49 pm 
Elite Investigator

Yeah its kind of expected like the title says. it portrays an image or gives a perception of professionalism, even if the reality (for some) may be slightly different...!

For me, professionalism is many things, and unfortunately I think, having certain levels of equipment comes into that. The reality is, on guest nights or ghost hunts people only get one chance to form an opinion about a group, so if they have no equipment it may be viewed negatively, and so the pressure is on teams to provide levels of equipment I suppose.

But as we know, for things like EMF meters and thermometers their usefulness is questionable and not very objective, but, fun for some! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:53 am 
The Ferryman

It's like most things in life - we like "experts" to tell us what to think and what to believe.

You or I may have the greatest piece of evidence that could exist to show ghosts are real - and on a basic level (ie, amongst the paranormal world) - it would be accepted once proved to be real .. however, to the rest of society, they wouldn't accept it until a man in a white lab coat and who has a big forehead tells them its ok to accept it as real.

It's the same with many subjects. We often hear people say "I won't believe in aliens in UFOs until one lands on the Whitehouse Lawn" - the implication being that a figure of authority will have to acknowledge the landing and tell them it really happened - in this case, the President of the USA - and until then, they won't accept it.

Most people have been so subjected to a mental imprisonment by the society within which we live that they are even unable to believe and accept anything the see or experience themselves - they need an "expert" to tell them it's real.

To me - that's all equipment within a paranormal group achieves. It gives them a sense of authority on the subject - "eee .. these most know what they're doing, Ethel - they have equipment an' everything! Look it even flashes and chirps when a ghost is present" .. it gives the public, who don't have the experience in these things, a sense of "trust" in those claiming to be authoritative. It shows people that they must know what they are talking about.

Unfortunately, it's all show and no substance. It means nothing. It's this crazy notion that exists that if someone wears a suit and tie for work then they must be "professional". We're programmed to "trust" those who look the part - how people appear influences our judgement of them.

Take a copper - he wears a tit on his head so that it makes him look bigger and in our conditioned minds this means somebody bigger is more powerful, more intimidating, more authoritative, more dominating - and we have an inbuilt reaction to that where it makes us slightly submissive to the police - in the "good old" days, we'd even only accept people who were of a certain height to have an even greater effect. Off topic and no evidence to support it - but it's no surprise to me that kids nowadays have less respect for the police when they've moved away from tits on heads and started accepting Dopey, Happy, Grumpy and Sneezy.

So stick a bit of equipment on an idiot and people will view him differently. And so many people in the ghost world see equipment as a means to give them authority on the subject. But again, it's all show and no substance. Drive a Lada, nobody would give you a second look - drive a Ferrari and you're bound to get laid.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:55 am 
The Ferryman

that's it, I'm off to buy a Ferrari.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:58 am 
The Ferryman

I used to have a skoda and the same applied there .. :(