It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm

Post subject: The importance of equipment
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:32 pm 
The Ferryman

There seems to be a growing trend amongst certain groups which sees them obtaining as much equipment as possible to investigate the paranormal. It's almost become a competition with some.... but does it really make any difference to an investigation?

My opinion is that it doesn't, and in some cases can be detrimental to an investigation, and that's coming from someone who likes using equipment.

It's almost always used incorrectly, and even when it used in the correct way the data collected is often interpreted wrongly or not at all. For me paranormal investigation is all about the nature and understanding of the human experience.

What does everyone else think?

Post subject: Re: The importance of equipment
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:27 pm 
The Ferryman

I'll stick to my guns on this one : Until a spook has been captured, put in a lab, prodded and poked - then you might aswell use a food blender on an investigation.

There is zero evidence to suggest an EMF device is a "ghost detector" or, the other way round, a ghost affects the local EM field for an EMF device to measure. Mainly because there is zero evidence a ghost exists.

Likewise with temperature or any other method that tends to get suggested.

Until a ghost is in a lab and has been examined and explored - any equipment used by anybody on an investigation is backed purely by guesswork.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:55 pm 
A Stiff

Yup agree Mark, all the talk on Sat was "we have such and such"...all great if it catches what you want but so far nothing has really been proven to work.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:20 am 
The Ferryman

I agree, it's all theory.

Digital thermometers measure temp.
EMF meters measure Electro Magnetic and Magnetic fields.
Cameras take pictures etc...

This is all well and good and they are very useful for recording data to back up or disprove the human experience, but as far as proving that 'ghosts' exist there is no solid evidence.

Sure equipment has its uses and I'm sure NGI will continue its ever growing collection, but we must not come to believe it is the most important thing, and while a thermal imaging camera would be nice, I'm not sure how any non profit making group can think that shelling out £3,500 for one makes for good value for money when in effect its little more than a glorified thermometer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:24 am 
The Ferryman

I'm curious as to where the "EMF" = "Ghost" equation came from .. Yes, EMFs can possibly make our brains burp .. but when did running around a location, waving an EMF ever equal searching for EMFs to find a possible ghost .. I don't really understand the logic.

Yes, we as humans give off a very small EMF due to the electrical processes that go on in our bodies .. but compared to a ghost, thats because we're .. alive .. and they're not. But not only that - an EMF detector can't pick up the EMF that I give off, but it can detect the EMF given off by a ghost.

A dead ghost. So according to the theory - not only does a dead bloke give off a EMF like what a bloke who's alive give off .. which would mean the ghost has electrical processes going on in its dead "body" .. but it gives off more EM than someone alive which suggests it has more electrical processes going on its .. erm .. dead "body" .. than an alive person.

Or are ghosts electrical elementals??

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:30 am 
The Ferryman

Yeah, It's just a theory. It could very well be correct but as you so often say, until we get a ghost in a cage and test it we'll never know.

You may as well have a theory that ghosts are attracted by Jazz music and play it on all investigations.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:33 am 
The Ferryman

I think the jazz music experiment should be used next invo .. with a food blender used to detect any ghosts!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:37 am 
The Ferryman

:D

I suppose at least with temperature there is a some circumstantial 'evidence', as temperature drops and cold spots have been recording right from the very beginings of paranormal research. Not so with EMF, just that it can in some instances, as you say, 'makes your brain burp'.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:37 pm 
The Ferryman

Yeah, temps .. maybe .. but I've never understood the fascination with EMFs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 pm 
Someone We Know

Jay wrote:
I'm curious as to where the "EMF" = "Ghost" equation came from .. Yes, EMFs can possibly make our brains burp .. but when did running around a location, waving an EMF ever equal searching for EMFs to find a possible ghost .. I don't really understand the logic.

As far as I first understand it, the idea of ghosties emiting EM fields was first theorised in the late 18th century, though at this point the fields were called magnétisme animal, mineral magnetism, cosmic magnetism or planetary magnetism. This was the proposition by the German physician Franz Anton Mesmer that all living things held a 'magnetic force' within them, and this theory was built upon to suggest that ghosts were the magnétisme animal of deceased people. Thus, if the magnétisme animal/natural EM field of a person continues after death, then the theory is that it can be detected on meters capable of detecting EM fields.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:08 pm 
The Ferryman

But thats the thing tho - living things hold a "magnetic force". Its a bit of a jump to then suggest that a Dead Thing maintains a Living Things "magnetic force" which only exists because the things living in the first place.

Now if we went with some, no doubt Eastern, Philosphy in regards of States of Being - ie, there is no real difference between Alive and Dead, they are just different states of existence and its only our limited perspective that differentiates between the two to the extent that we do - then I can possibly see an avenue .. but while we hold the view that Dead is Dead, no life, no force, nothing and nada .. then I don't see how the EMF can carry over when its created in the first place due to the processes involved and happening within a living organism.

Mesmer .. huh?? :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:50 am 
Someone Strange

all the equipment is good and well but even if we diod capture anything on video or camera it would just be discounted anyway even if it was a solid entity and no mistaking it for a force of nature. i agree the only way to 100% proove is to have one in a cage which unless someone invents a ghost buster proton pack and trap we probably will never have a chance :lol:

im not a fan of emf myself way too many factors effecting it.

http://www.somethingparanormal.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:36 am 
The Ferryman

Yeah I agree. That's why I think that Paranormal Groups are a bit deluded if they think they're going to prove the existence of the Paranormal to anyone other than themselves. After saying that, I'm really only interested in proving things to myself anyway, anyone else can take it or leave it for all I care.