It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:29 pm

Post subject: Dissing Equipment
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 am 
The Ferryman

I often read that this and that piece of equipment is of no use at all in 'detecting ghosts'. It is a criticism often directed towards the 'media popularised gismos'. My argument is, how the hell does anybody know as, as far as I know, no body has ever been able to grab a 'ghost' and measure it?

Most equipment is just used to collect data about the thing it was created to measure, and providing it is being used correctly then I feel that any piece of equipment may be as of use as the next. I think that is the implication that some people on the data collected that is a fault rather than the equipment itself.

Post subject: Re: Dissing Equipment
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 am 
Breezy Draft

I agree that certain equipment can and should be used, Not to measure a ghost, but rather to back up other claims, or rule out natural interfereance etc.

Such as an EMF metre, you cant really say that it picks up a ghost 100%, But if there are high levels of EMF, then that could explain some feelings people get, and it also helps identify the source of EMF (My Uncle just stole mine, cos he's doing some electrical work in an old house, and dosn't have a clue what is still live and whats not)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:20 am 
The Ferryman

EMF is a good one. We've had the whole EMF meters can't detect 'Ghosts' thing (well they probably can't, but I've no idea how anyone can state that categorically), then we get that high EMF fields can produce feelings and hallucinations which is why people experience things in certain locations (which I think there is some good evidence for), but now many 'experts' are saying that these "experience inducing fields" fall out of the range of most EMF detectors so they are 'useless' again regardless of any data that people have collected. Hmmmm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 am 
Underworld Minion

Interesting.....Tristan brought emf's up in the interview,think this was the Chris French stuff Mark hehehehe.I wish i'd been more on the ball regarding that, but seeing as I'd interupted Jay, grabbed the phone off him and then realised I didnt even know the question I sort of lost my bearing with it a bit hehehe!
To me there is good 'evidence' that EMF's can and do cause 'ghost and other' type experiences, but using the little meters we use to do more then source basically obvious things is pointless on invos.
Getting a 'ghost' to 'effect' them significantly on 'command' is far more interesting to me, than other more sensitive equipment could be used to accurately measure and source whats causing this effect etc.
As you say, all equipment is only as good as its used for and how etc.
The point that 'evidence' shows that only a tiny weeny amount of people are effected any even huge surges and that this whole area is a complete waste of time is illogical to me. I've not fullly read the research which suggests this (which Tristan mentioned ,I'll wait til the thing airs to read it further!) but from what he said I'd be interested in exactly how these figures have been reached etc, as I'm not aware that I've been tested for this and neither has anyone I know.Persingers stuff is interesting and this whole area is interesting.Plenty of evidence to suggest that the earth itself gives of things which also effect us in this way (not sure if they are all emf's), and interesting to note that places which were once linked with boggarts, little folk,ghost lights, grey ladies,fairies etc etc etc are now more linked with ufo's and the such....interesting to note the link between our 'cultural' influences in how we 'experience' and 'translate' things.
Overlooked to fuck as always yet so fuckin relevant in 'data gathering'............for obvious reasons!
As always it doesnt matter whats used, its how its used and the 'interpretation' of the data always and everytime.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:34 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Hi Claire

It would appear from Persinger's work that only 30% of the population is susceptible to EIF induced hallucinations, and even then they need to have been exposed to the EIF for twenty minutes, even more if moving around.

Whilst I understand where you are coming from when you say it is more interesting to see if a ghost can affect an EMF meter, how can you be sure such an entity is responsible if you cannot control potential sources of EIF or other EMF creating items? Take EIFs; some may be the result of mechanical vibration whilst others are natural. Therefore, controlling these in an allegedly haunted location may be extremely hard ... if not tougher.

If you want a friendly-ish overview of this field have a look at http://www.assap.org/newsite/articles/M ... hosts.html. It may also be worth your while someone within NGI joining ASSAP to keep abreast of latest research and best practice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 pm 
Underworld Minion

Hi Trystan!

Oooooh thanks for that, I was going to mail you about this once the interview aired!

I'm not sure how the figure of 30% has been reached if describing the 'whole population', but I shall click about and see what

just had a quick look at your article, interesting stuff!Not fully grasped all the facts and figures but this is an area that really excites me, being the sad cow I am hehe!I'll have a better read of it then comment properly, although it seems to be backing up something I actually fully agree with and have been harping on about for a while.........although I'll need to read it properly to check I've got the right end of the stick!

Just to clarify when I say 'ghosts' or any other such entities, I'm not necessarily meaing thats what I would call them, rather thats what others do, hence the '''s! But to me if somethig was effecting something like that on 'command' it would be, with the right equipment probably easier to 'source'.....hence my 'excitement!And the equipment mentioned in your article seems to be type of thing that I'm talking about that would be required to source and measure these!

Although I've only skim read this, so no doubt could be back here later tonight choking on this post after reading it properly hehehehehe!!!!

To me its not about controlling an environment at an initial stage of an investigation though, its about going in there and observing the natural routine of the place and the people involved for a period of time, all the while exploring and measuring as many aspects as possible about the whole scenario, including these potential sources of EIF and other EMF creating items. Not at that stage to 'control'.......to 'source' and 'time' and see if theres any correlation to the 'ghost/paranormal experiences' (as with all other data collected, not just that especially!).

I agree too, if someone in NGI felt that they would benefit themselves and NGI as a group by joining ASSAP or other such groups then that could be a great thing!

Gotta say tho, as good an idea as that is, in my experience the people I know who are members of ASSAP and the like unfortunately dont seem to do much with their membership, which is a shame!

I'm off to look at bloody rugs and then I'll read your article properly, cheers!