It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:14 pm

Post subject: EMF
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:29 pm 
Stone Thrower

Does any-one think these actually help?

Post subject: Re: EMF
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:00 pm 
The Ferryman

think they can .. when you know where to look .. Just wandering aimlessly around a location with one in your hand is fairly pointless - but confirming something from another source - a medium perhaps or a suggestion of some phenonomen - and they can come into their own.

Had a few good examples of their use - the time in Manhattens when I was up in the attic with the girls from behind the bar and recently, the incident with Pollen at the Schooner which proceeded the Schooner Growl (edit: Ha! Not from Pollen!!) and then the wardrobe shaking around!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:36 pm 
A Stiff

My EMF has a mind of it's own anyway, but at Preston hall it was having a fit when there were no other electrical sources within 20 feet to set it off, was beeping like a two tone siren. :)

All the latest goings on are viewable here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:26 pm 
Site Admin

I'm with the side of EMF not that much use.

Yes it introduces areas of further debate, it can find anomolies and it can detect moving energy fields. But these are only valid when the machine is used correctly.

Waving it around in a random fashion is not using it correctly.

I watched how they use them on TAPS and it differes from how tey are used on MH. On MH they tend to only take base readings, where in Taps they look for the limits of unusual and unexpected hits.

The main problem is its looking for an energy reading, energy does move unless its potential energy. And with all devices, the more you pay the better shielded the device will be, so more accurate the readings will be.

Waving the bloody things around like people do with laser thermometers will actually create an energy field itself.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:18 pm 
The Ferryman

EMF meters have created much controversy since they first made an appearance on popular TV. Since that time we have seen EMF meters used as 'ghost detectors' being waved about in the air willy nilly.

Today it has almost become the norm to regard EMF meters as almost useless with regards to 'ghost hunting'. Sure, they can find high areas of EMF in a building which could in turn produce feelings of unease in people, but this is where their usefulness seems to end..... or does it?

It is often said that "there is no evidence to suggest that 'Ghosts' give of fields that are detectable with EMF meters'. This may well be true, but how do we know they don't? Despite what people say, anomalous EMF fields have/are detected when alleged spirit activity is present from people who know how to use the equipment. Ok, that doesn't mean that 'ghosts do create EMF fields' but at the same time it doesn't mean they don't either.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 4:23 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

i no when working along side the doc and jay that an emf was vital,, so i guess yes :wink:

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:37 pm 
Elite Investigator

i think they are good, especially for eliminating possibilities from natural causes. i would say it would be in my top 5 pieces of kit however not essential by any stretch. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:18 am 
The Ferryman

I wouldn't be in my top 5 either, I just think they've been getting a bit of flack of late.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:44 am 
Site Admin

I think the use of an EMF meter would be more indiciative of explaining feelings people were getting.

We know that high EMF fields can have a pronouced effect on people who are highly sensative to these fields, they can affect everyone else too.

So if someone gets a feeling they are not alone, and a High EMF reading is found in that area.....its infintely more likely to be the EMF than a ghost.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:04 am 
The Ferryman

Totally agree. We found that the area where a 'ghost' was witnessed on a private invo recently was positively 'buzzing' with EMF while the rest of the building was pretty normal. This I would guess would be the cause of the sighting.

However, do we know that 'ghosts' don't give off any sort of EMF?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:42 am 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

thats food for thought there doc :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:50 am 
Site Admin

doktor_phibes wrote:
Totally agree. We found that the area where a 'ghost' was witnessed on a private invo recently was positively 'buzzing' with EMF while the rest of the building was pretty normal. This I would guess would be the cause of the sighting.

However, do we know that 'ghosts' don't give off any sort of EMF?

Well you would have to prove the existence of ghosts first, then perhaps we would know. But then you would be making the theory redundant ebcause we would already know they existed and wouldnt necessarily need EMF to go looking for them.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:54 am 
The Ferryman

True, true, but I'm still working with the principle that there is a possibility that 'ghosts' produce EMF. I've heard people say that this is not the case but how do they really know? To me it sounds like a knee jerk reaction to all the people waving them around and thinking they are 'ghost detectors'.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:55 am 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

to true there anth :wink: but we all no there is something ,, to many people experiance so many differant things in there life :wink: thats paranormal

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:20 pm 
Elite Investigator

the theory behind "ghosts" being made up of energy, is plausible to me, hence why i think EMF meters could detect this phenomena.however anth is quite right in that, because it's primary use is for detecting a natural force, then it will be disregarded in some cases. that said when k2's are used to answer questions via the lights, that certainly edges over being coincidence, providing it's consistent to the questions being asked otherwise it is just that.. coincidence!

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:43 pm 
Site Admin

triplow wrote:
the theory behind "ghosts" being made up of energy, is plausible to me, hence why i think EMF meters could detect this phenomena.however anth is quite right in that, because it's primary use is for detecting a natural force, then it will be disregarded in some cases. that said when k2's are used to answer questions via the lights, that certainly edges over being coincidence, providing it's consistent to the questions being asked otherwise it is just that.. coincidence!

This is exposing where sceptics and beleivers see things differently.

When a K2 reacts with its lights, its not reacting to questions, its reacting to a magnetic force. When you bring the question, can you make these lights move, theres a 50 50 chance something will happen. That is either it will or it wont. true or false.
Now again, that does not mean spirit are making this happen, its nothing more than a magnetic field.

The correct and scientific way would be to find out what could be causing that magenetic field, not say well it answered questions so its a ghost. Thats just jumping way too far ahead of yourself.
You would look extremely silly if I produced a large magnet out of my pocket. So it has to be investigated not say, I got the result I wanted I proved the ghost spoke to me through the K2.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:39 pm 
Professional Investigator

im not a believer in them but i do think they shud be used ONLY to note down baselines of Pipping and Wires as we use other eqiupment such as laptops, infra red etc etc as anth said waving a emf around and u will get a Negative Positive reading. AS humans we al make out own Electro magnetic feels so u could be getting a reading around you lol which is pretty funny like... So no dont believe they shud be used in the main part of Investigations
some use them during seances/calling out etc if u are wanting to do this put it on a flat surface away from electrical equipment and no one tamper with them thats if u have to use them

The Mind is a Powerful tool

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:44 pm 
The Ferryman

So do you think that unlike 'living humans' who produce their own electromagnetic fields, that there is no possibility that 'dead humans' (if we accept there is such a thing) do the same?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:01 pm 
Site Admin

doktor_phibes wrote:
So do you think that unlike 'living humans' who produce their own electromagnetic fields, that there is no possibility that 'dead humans' (if we accept there is such a thing) do the same?

well given that we use the term energy with spirit because mediums keep going on about it, its highly likely that when we die we lose the ability to generate energy.
Also if Spirit could generate energy why would it need to drain ours to manifest?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:05 pm 
The Ferryman

Ok, but lets suppose that a spirit does need to drain 'energy' in order to manifest, isn't it conceivable that this energy could still be detected?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

doktor_phibes wrote:
Ok, but lets suppose that a spirit does need to drain 'energy' in order to manifest, isn't it conceivable that this energy could still be detected?

Yes its conceivable, but the spirit would then need to convert that energy, which would require more energy......its a vicious circle.

I'm not trying to be awkward, but this is how we should talk (not argue) more often, because you get me saying yes its conceivable, but you then have to factor this in. Thats where the better ideas for experiments come from.
You wont find the answers if you look with a prec conceived set of ideas. I listen to what people say, sometimes I will correct if I think they are wrong and I fully exepct the same back. But too often some numpty gets all woo and its just shits all over my day.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:14 pm 
The Ferryman

I don't think your being awkward at all. I love to have these kind of debates with people. I just hate it when people state their opinion as fact and then don't bother to even attempt to back it up.

For the record I'm not sure I'm really 100% convinced by this 'energy' thing but I think there is enough in it to warrant further investigation.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:18 pm 
The Ferryman

That's why I want to have a go at making a Van de Graaff generator.

If we go along with the theory that 'Ghosts' use electrostatic/electromagnetic energy with which to materialise, then this would be a good machine to flood a haunted area with 'energy' to see if it has any effect.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:11 pm 
Guest Investigator

Although no one can say for certain that a ghost (whatever that may be) can or can't produce an electromagnetic field I tend to err on the side of disbelief.

That's because to produce a magnetic field you must have a flow of current (unless a ghost is a magnet). If ghosts had current flowing through them then they'd be a hell of a lot easier to detect and we've got all sorts of basic equipment knocking about that would do that.

You could argue that the amount of charge could be extremely small but then it wouldn't register above the background EMF on an EMF detector.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:18 pm 
Professional Investigator

doktor_phibes wrote:

Dont know never met a dead person or spoke to one to ask if they can do this. But i would say No i dont think its possible.. if this was to happen wouldnt it have to be a Physical being... This is why i say this:

People say ghosts can hurt you and be Physical, and people have been pushed and hurt this is a Physical thing happening so whoever is doing that has to be some sort of Physical as it would be like in these Films when someone tried to throw sommat at a ghost or whatever they disappear into thin air.. People have said to me it is physical when this happens then i said to a certain person....... ok then why cant i see something if this is the case then they said cos i dont believe or open minded enough LOL come on talk about Contradiction...
Maybe more experiements shud be divised so people can maybe come up with some answers they feel are right.. Again lol Only my view

The Mind is a Powerful tool