It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:50 am

Post subject: Thornaby Town Hall
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:50 pm 
Scaredy Cat

GONE

Last edited by Dave_B on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:53 am 
The Ferryman

I think we tried here about a year back but from what I gather they weren't very receptive to the idea, which is a bit of a shame .. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:18 pm 
Someone Strange

Is it worth another try ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:07 pm 
Stone Thrower

yeah i think it could be worth another try! -- Danny???? (ur call lol) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:27 am 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

danny not answered yet lol

The truth is out there to be found - you just got to look for it.

kris@paranormaluk.co.uk
Paranormal UK

Post subject: thornaby
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

gonna ring these up to, if its been a year then they might of changed there minds?lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:15 am 
Stone Thrower

LOL ok :wink:

Post subject: Re: Thornaby Town Hall
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:35 am 
Underworld Minion

did you ring them Pam...and what did they say?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:44 pm 
Professional Investigator

I rented an art studio in the building next door that was really haunted. There was small boy in the studio on the top floor that we had, which i think had been childrens bedrooms. His mother i presume, was active in the kitchen area on the first floor and I used to sense her in the place a lot, I used to get flash images of what her kitchen was like with large whte jugs on a dresser wher the new kitchen was. She was fine but there was a male that used to hold back and was very threatening in the kitchen and the adjoining toilet. I used to be terrified using this area because he used to be smothering, on one occasion I got so fed up that I shouted at him, "For gods sake either do what your going to do or Fuck off!" and he dispersed and left me alone for about 3 weeks. The other guys thought I'd gone crazy as there were 3 of us in the kitchen making tea at the time.
The guy who owned the place told me that he set up an infrared alarm system in the room on the first floor that was opposite the kitchen across the landing and it was forever going off and he had to keep going out at night to reset it. In the end he got so fed up he took it down.
Interestingly enough my friend lorraine who I now share a studio space with at Platform Ats at Middlesbrough Train Station used to have that room as her studio space. This was several years before we moved in and took over the contract. She didn't know that we had rented the same premises and she told me recently that she once fell asleep in that room and was woken up with a load of flash images in her head of a very domineering man in a brown suit entering the room and she was extremely scared by the whole thing which lasted only a few seconds. It was really interesting as i hadn't heard anyone else mention a threatening man in there before.
Another night when I was leaving I saw one of the weirdest things in all of my experiences with the paranormal. I was standing on the staircase between the first and second floor talking to one of the artists who was leaning over the banister on the second floor when I saw what appeared to be a monk walk out of the corridor that led to the kitchen on the first floor and walk partway across the landing. There was an extreme sense of something unpleasant about this entity and I'm not ashamed to say that I ran ack up the stairs to get away from it, which sent the other artist running as well. He doesn't believe in these things deapite having family who are mediums but he was still shitting himself. We had to wait for a while before we both dared to leave together.
This monk was as clear as daylight and I could even see the hesian on it's dark, grey cowl/ smock. I couldn't see a face and if I could liken it to anything I can only say that it looked like a grim reaper from an Iron Maiden album cover. The next time I was in there I was showing some of the others where I'd seen this thing, and I realised how short it was. Next to where I saw it walk we had a fire extinguisher and a sign on the wall next to the window on the first floor so I could use these to try and gauge some height and worked out that it must only have been about 4ft tall.
Why there would have been a monk in there i have no idea or why it was on the first floor of a relatively modern building didn't make any sense either. I've looked at similar descriptions of shadow men (a theory that i don't buy into) but it's the nearest thing that fits what I saw. It was one of the scariest experience of my life and I don't usually get freaked out by these things.
On a historical note that area was bombed in the war and there was na explosion between the town hall and this building which ended up with structural damage to the building. There was one casualty and that was from some idiot who went out of his house to see what was going on and ended up getting blown up. The bomb apparently didn't hit the ground but exploded almost directly opposite the window on the first floor. All the rooms in this building had been crooked ever since, just before we left the owner was restructuring the building as it was clearly unsafe and we fell out over the contract as we couldn't use the studios due to the building work and plaster everywhere despite him still wanting payment so we left and I've never been back. Got to say it was a really horrible place to be fullstop and I wouldn't really want to go back in there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:49 pm 
The Ferryman

Really interesting story there aqualung, keep 'em coming.
It may be worth us trying to follow this story up with the current residents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:30 pm 
The Ferryman

Yeah, Thornaby Town Hall is still one that could be worth a visit to. But was a no go in the past - even when we had a member of NGI who father was a bloody councillor there! Still didn't open the doors!!

:cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:28 pm 

I don't think the guy who owns the building next door would be too happy to see me, seeing that we upped and left a load of our stuff behind, but then what did he expect he wrecked loads of gear with his building work and plaster everywhere. Seeing that he threatened us with court action I think I'd best stay as far away as possible from the place.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:05 pm 
Underworld Minion

Can see why you might not be his favourite person Aqualung hehehehehe!

Very interesting indeed!

Do you know who rents it now?

Also,have you or Lorrainne had other experiences like this anywhere else?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:16 pm 

Lorraine says theres a room in her house that they think has something in it, it's apparently very eerie. I've had so many experiences, I'll try and log more of them here. I has a very strange one again in Thornaby in approx 1993. I was at art college at the time and had gone with a friend that I was studying with one night to The Kirk (nightclub). We fouind it impossible to get in becasue the massive queue wasn't moving so we decided to go Blaises in middlesbrough instead. Dave, my friend was driving that night and for soem reason he decided to drive through the centre of Thornaby to get to Middlesbrough. It seemed like a really off the beaten track way of getting there to me but I don't know the routes between Kirklevington and Middlesbrough. As we were passing through the centre past that weird 60's concrete shopping area there was bloke in jeans and a white T shirt crossing the road, which didn't strike me as being anything strange until Dave drove the car through him. I freaked out because the guy turned and stared through the windscreen at us and what was really weird was that he seemed to stretch over the top of the car like Reed Richards from the Fantastic 4. Dave had no idea. I'm extremely sensitive to atmospheres and sometimes these experiences can be very draining and I actually start to shake and get cramps sometimes quite uncontrollably if I'm in a strong atmosphere. This started to happen and Dave knowing my sensitivity to these things handled it all really well, I think his first comment was, "Have you just seen something again?" So we were openly talking about it. He hadn't seen the guy at all and was earnest that there wasn't anybody crossing the road. It was a busy night so its not as if we actually really ran someone over and speeded away and got away with murder, he just carried on driving at the same pace as before. But to be fair he was a bit of a mad driver. I have to admit that I questioned my sanity at around this time because these things weren't as openly discussed as they are now. I still think that there are people who think that I am mad for seeing these things and that there is a lot of fear still atached to them for some people. I've a lot more people around me these days who ahve had their own experiences so I'm happier talking about them than I was, but I've lost friends in the past because they didn't understand these "visions" if you like, and were too judgemental. For me personally it doesn't matter if it is proven that some people experience these things because of a psychological or genetic difference in the brain and they aren't supernatural as such as long as I can understand why these things happen to me and not to some other people. This is just part of my life now, it took a long time to accept myself, I just wish it was easier for other people to feel comfortable about the phenomenon and understood that some of us really are sensitive to some places for whatever reason there might be, EMF affecting the temporal lobe or whatever else. I didn't ask to be this way and I don't have the answers why I am, I just have to accept that thats the way I am.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:18 pm 

Sorry I don't know who rents it now but I'll ask around.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:08 pm 
Underworld Minion

Thats a very interesting experience you describe Aqualung!
Glad you have been able to talk about these experiences rationaly with friends etc, and sounds like you've got a top attitude towards this kind of thing,and haven't been swayed by 'fear' or the 'you must be mad' pressure people like yourself who have these type of experiences are often put under by others who are judgemental and have been 'swayed' by fear themselves,good for you!

Why do you think this happens to some people and not others?

Yeah,be brilliant if you can find out who has the place now,cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 pm 

My Grandmother was the same and my so is my mum. My grandmother said that her mother and her sisters were part of the spititualist revival back in the early 1900's late 1800's. She was from Dulwich and I get the impression there was a large movement there. It's always been said that it runs in the family, my dads side was always very sceptical although my dad has seen ghosts of family dogs in recent years, so i think his attitude has changed but not too much.
My mums nad her best friend used to say that the reason I was this way was because when my mum was pregnant with me she stood in a fairy ring and wished for a boy... I think that means that I'm an elf or something :lol:
Even as a child I was apparently playing with people who weren't visible rather than sleeping at night, I'm the second child so it wasn't imaginary friends. My sister had an imaginary friend that the family talk about but that wasn't the case with me. My sisters now a psychiatric nurse so she's very skeptical, this does mean that I get free mental health advice and therefore I am pleased to say that I am not insane.
I have no idea why some people are this way and others aren't. It maybe that i am more susceptible to EMF than others, and that its no more than temporal lobe hallucination, but that doesn't explain how I can be accurate about information I recieve, such as at Chillingham Castle. I've not been tested for accuracy, the only thing that I have done of that sort was at a training group at the spiritualists at Billingham. I was always getting told off for linking with spirit as opposed to reading from people on some of the tasks, What they expected was us to be able to pick information up in tests like psychometry, which I was useless at. I wasn't aware that of any technique to shift from reading from someones aura or from spirit and they certainly didn't teach us any, so it all seemed a bit odd to me. I could only get the information that I got. In the end I left the group... got a bit sick of spending my Monday evenings with a load of old women with blue rinses and some of their ideas of "scientific tests" left a lot to be desired.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:26 am 
Underworld Minion

ooooh good stuff!Are your Mums family still part of the spiritualist movement,your Mum especially?Was your Mum brought up in that environment,surrounded by spitirualists etc?
Ha, your time at the training group sounds 'interesting' (cough) hehe!
Did they expect you not to 'link with spirit' when getting certain information from 'reading people',how exactly were you meant to get that information,if you couldnt read the aura or get thnigs from inanimate objects?I know you saud they didnt 'teach' you,but did they not explain this basically?
Are you saying all your information comes from 'spirit',and if so in what way do you mean exactly?(I'm guessing,but dont want to assume!)
ha....what was their version of scientific tests?Seems 'scientific testing' is an area which causes strong emotions in people,as regards to exactly what is accepted and what isnt!
how do you 'sense' spirit'?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:41 am 

No my mum wasn't brought up in that environment at all. My grandmother left London and moved to Middlesbrough when she married my grandfather, his family were very conservative catholics especially his mother who wouldn't even let my mum play on her rollerskates on a Sunday as it was apparently basphemous!!
The training group was good to satrt with, we had to tasks such as sitting with our backs to everyone else and then give readings to other members sitting behind us. Wew had to feel who the message was for by feeling in which direction we were drawn to. This sounds really hard but actually wasn't. The "energy" for want of a better word, was fantastic in the spiritualists church there and all the information that I recieved there was really vivid images and very clear. I quite often use to come home and give readings on a chat website for mediumship after the sessions and get very accurate information, apparently this was still the "energy" that I'd taken home with me.
I have to say that I don't like an awful ot of the terms taht they use and they don't ever seem to explain themselves clearly enough as to what this "Energy" is. I was an academic and lectured at the Uni here in Middlesbrough so I have a very enquiring mind and won't take something for being fact without delving deeper. These people didn't ever satisfy me and on occasion I think my asking them for further information or offering alternative explanations actually pissed them off. During one task another member gave a reading that I thought was to open and that anyone could relate to, I didn't say this obviously but instead pointed out that I could also take all of the information. It was something like a house with abya window, a red car, a pregnant person and a driveway that needed some work... the usual crap to be honest that does make me wonder why spirit cross the threshold to pass information as mundane, they may as well read a shopping list. The lady who took the information had to really think about what she was given but then accepted it. I pointed out that I had just bought a house with a bay window that needed a new drive, my car was red and my sister was pregnant, I was trying to make the point that this info was too open but before I could say that it was suddenly decided that the information must have been for me instead and the other person who had already taken the information as hers even accepted that it was now mine. Not once were we taught to cold read or fake a reading but this seemed to be a similar thing for me.
On another occasion they clsaid that they were going to do a week training and there were going to be guests coming some from the states. At this event they were going to "magnetise" water. Because I was at the university I was asked to get the some litmus paper, I said I couldn't as I wasn't in the slightest bit involved in the school of science, I taught animation, this didn't make them happy. When I asked them why they wanted it they said that they wanted use it to test the water after it had been magnetised. I was stunned and told them that litmus paper wasn't for testing magnetism it was for testing acidity to which I was snapped at and told, "WE are only trying to be scientific, John!"
I wanted to tell them that may as well test it for HIV and ghonorrea for all the science that they were applying while they were at it, but thought I'd be better off just keeping my mouth shut and stop going.
I went to one more after that which was based at Norton but with the same people, here they did table turning and that was very impressive I'd not seen anything like it and they also did a spirit chamber which were blew me away as you could see the face of the "spirits" over the face of the person sitting in the chamber/box. I was so impressed that one of the "teachers" said, "We've got John for life now!", that put me off and I thought, "well you clearly don't know me then, I don't want to be indoctrinated into a religion, I don't want to be a podium medium or the next TV medium I was here for myself to help me to understand myself." and so I didn't ever go back. I just didn't feel comfortable with it all, they seemed to have their own agends, liked to boss people around, tell them what they should think and not ask questions and their mthods of teaching seemed ego orientated as opposed to something to benefit their students.
I don't know about the "spirit" questions you asked me. I'm sure I sound like a contradiction but I don't understand enough about where the information comes from. I'd like to believe that it is spirit and that there are people who read objects and auras as well, but I wasn't taught how to do one and not the other or how to do both. I recieve things thats all that I know, where it comes from is another question. I'm convinced that their are other aspects of nature that we don't understand but I question whether there should be a religion based round it or if you can be taught to percieve these things. If I found a group of people that taught or studied these things without an indoctrination policy and a religious/ new age agenda I think that i would be far more comfortable training. Maybe I'm just stubborn but I just don't want to be told what I should believe and accept it blindly.
How do I sense spirit? I walk into a place and feel an atmosphere, it sometimes feels as though you have someone standing too close, I get alot of tingles, almost like someone is about to touch me but their hand is just in proximity. I feel like I am being poked, my hair can get tugged and stroked, it sometimes feels like I can sense an attitude or smell certain fragrances, I rarely see things with my naked eye although that has happened usually I get flash images almost like one of my own memories and sometimes these images linger. For example I was in the Punch Bowl in York and had gone to use the toilets suddenly it felt as though their was a fog in there, I felt dizzy and had problems getting back to my missus sitting at the front of the bar. When i sat down I had an image of a girl who looked very angry and upset standing in front of me in 17th/18th century clothing, behind her there was a man in a tri-cornerd hat but he was standing much further back, he was wearing britches. I later found out that there had been fire in there which could explain the fog I sensed as it could have been smoke, and there was apparently a ghost of a woman and a man. the woman had been sexually assaulted from what I can gather. Unfortunately i didn't get any more information than what I felt and saw. I suppose I should use the word "saw" as I don't think there is better word for it, but really this was in my mind. The fog however was with the naked eye. This atmosphere was so strong that it took a while to pass. Supposedly the Golden fleece in york is more haunted but I don't get anything in there at all other than a slight tingle.
hopefully this explains and I apologise if i sound like I am contradicting myself, I think i'm still trying to understand these things myself and I don't feel as though i have the answers.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:10 pm 
The Ferryman

That basically sums up my thoughts on the whole spiritualist movement as well. Too much 'going along with things' and not enough 'questioning' for my liking. Far too many people getting 'told' they are 'gifted' just to get them into a development circle.

I'm not against 'mediums' in general, although I have rarely been impressed by any.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:10 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

hello spiritulist churches no way. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:07 am 

Ironically I was led to believe that the spiritualist church could help me, I became quite distressed at one point. I was stressed with work and everything there was getting on top of me, I started seeing "orbs" if you like on a regular basis and on a daily basis I was getting poked and getting my hair pulled and feeling as though I was regularly having things trying to communicate with me. I went to Norton church and asked for help and I was told, "we choose the people that develop" and that I would have o attend all their meetings fro several months before I could get help. I told the woman what was happening to me and she looked aghast. I actually felt as though I'd probably experienced more activity sorry "proof" to use their words, in one week than she had in her career. She was so arrogant and pim that I just felt let down. Eventually I had reiki and the whole lot stopped after the session. I was told that my crown chakra was so wide open that every man and his dog must have been trying to communicate with me.
I don't watch programmes like "medium" very often but when I have seen clips of it and this poor woman seems so distressed I just think, "she needs her crown chakra closing down and then the drama can go back to being "neighbours"".
I can't claim to be an expert in reiki but I have found that it can really benefit me... even if it is a placebo or whatever else.
I met a lady at a meditation class several years ago who was a nurse, her job being to visit patients at home. She became attuned reiki and then started having mediumistic abilities. She was visting elderly patients and seeing their dead husbands and wives in the house. I've heard this happens quite often since I met her. She ended up getting help and was taught how to control it and protect herself by a private group/ circle. (not sure who they were). Has anyone else heard of this happening with reiki and can they shed some light on it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:48 pm 
Underworld Minion

Not got time to reply properly now but yeah, I have heard of that happening before, and not just with Reiki attunements but also meditation,massage,reflexology,aromatherapy etc

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:16 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

and also not a good time for,a spiritulist medium,never would go to one.sorry.