It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Post subject: Bigfoots in Britain ???
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:05 pm 
Someone Very Strange

Been interested in this topic since I had an odd encounter in the middle of Epping forest as a Teenager - that I still can't really describe or rationalise.

however.

there have been a number of Biogfoot sightings in the UK - not prolific by any means but even so;

to start this off

Lair of the Beasts: Seeking the British Bigfoot
The Wild Men of Castle Ring

By Nick Redfern December 31, 2011
Quote:
While reports of Bigfoot-like hairy wild men abound throughout Britain, there is one area of the country that seems to attract more than its fair share of such activity: Castle Ring, in the county of Staffordshire. Located near the village of Cannock Wood and constructed between 500 B.C. and A.D. 40, Castle Ring is an Iron Age structure commonly known as a Hill Fort. It is 801 feet above sea level, and it main ditch and bank enclosure is fourteen feet high and, at its widest point, 853 feet across.

Little is known about the mysterious and long-forgotten people who built Castle Ring, except to say that its creators were already in residence at the time of the Roman invasion and remained there until approximately A.D. 50.

On May 1 2004, Alec Williams was driving passed the car park that sits at the base of Castle Ring when he witnessed a hair-covered, man-like entity lumber across the road and into the trees. Williams stated that the sighting lasted barely a few seconds but that he was able to make out its form:

“It was about seven feet tall, with short, shiny, dark brown hair, large head and had eyes that glowed bright red.” Interestingly, Williams stated that as he slowed his vehicle he witnessed something akin to a camera flash coming from the depths of the woods and heard a cry that he described as ‘someone going ‘Hoooooo.’”

Just over one year later, on June 8, 2005, in an article titled Hunt For Dark Forces at Chase Monument, Chase Post writer Sarah Taylor reported that “paranormal investigators are set to swoop on one of the area’s oldest monuments to find out what dark forces lie beneath it.”

As the newspaper noted, “a team of real-life ghost-busters” had determined that the area of Gentleshaw that surrounds Castle Ring lay upon a “psychic fault.” Indeed, the whole area surrounding Castle Ring has been a hotbed of weird activity for years.

For example, commenting on the weird activity at the Ring, Sue Penton – of Paranormal Awakening, a group affiliated to the Association for Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena – said: “There have been reports of strange music being heard up there. It is such a high place there have been lots of UFO sightings there, too.”

This was echoed by Graham Allen, then of the Etchinghill, Rugeley-based Staffordshire UFO Group: “Obviously, Castle Ring is the highest point on the Chase which makes it a good place for UFO spotting. There have been numerous incidents of UFOs, which could be because you are more likely to see something from a high point.”

Allen elaborated: “There have been reports of something landing there in the 1960s. From a research point of view there are a high number of reports around ancient sites. One argument could be that ancient sites have been located there because of the incidents of UFOs and natural phenomenon. There could be locations where there could be magnetic influences in the ground which have been attributed to earth lights.”

Moreover, relatively close to Castle Ring is an old, disused windmill, which, it is widely believed by local historians, was built upon an ancient, pagan burial ground. Ghosts of the miller’s children, who suffocated in a flour silo, are said to haunt the mill to this day, and legend tells of a strange black figure that appeared just before the tragedy.

Could this perhaps have been the same dark figure that Alec Williams saw near the Ring in 2004? Equally as strange are the reports from the village of Cannock Wood – from which Castle Ring lies in a northwest direction – of a ghostly nun reported seen in the vicinity of an ancient well.

In September 2005, local media reported that the aforementioned Paranormal Awakening investigation group had recently completed a nighttime investigation of Castle Ring in an attempt to chronicle the strange activity that had been reported there for years.

A spokesperson for the group said: “The Cannock Chase local authorities were kind enough to give permission for PA to conduct its research. Indeed, we are extremely grateful to them for being so open-minded as to allow us to conduct our research at this historical and most important monument. The group’s results are stunning and have created yet more questions than we have answers. We appear to have obtained a very strange mix of UFO and genuine paranormal activity.”

Midway through February 2006, the Chase Post elaborated: “A paranormal investigations group says they have evidence of strange, dancing lights and ghostly figures at the area’s most ancient monument.” On one tape, said the Post, one of the group’s members was heard to exclaim: “Tell me that isn’t a big black shape walking towards me.” The Post added that: “A mystery make voice responds, ‘There is!’”

Of course, large, dark shapes and strange lights were both staples parts of Alec Williams’ 2004 sighting near Castle Ring, too. Clearly, if you’re intent on finding a British wild-man, then the Castle Ring may be the place to go!

Nick Redfern is the author of many books, including the newly-published Keep Out!

Post subject: Re: Bigfoots in Britain ???
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:06 pm 
Someone Very Strange

I've seen the Beast of Bolam, says hunt man
http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/0100 ... teid=50081

By Andy Lloyd , The Evening Chronicle Jan 23 2003

Quote:
Strange sightings of a giant man-ape have been backed up by monster hunters in Northumberland.

Professional yeti-hunters armed with thousands of pounds' worth of gadgets have homed in on Bolam Lake near Belsay after a string of encounters late at night.

The four-man investigation team from the Exeter-based Centre for Fortean Zoology have returned to base after their week-long mission to investigate reports of a yeti-like creature roaming through the woods.

Team leader Jonathan Downes said: "The expedition was a success beyond our wildest dreams. The most exciting thing was that five people I interviewed had seen the beast at the same time - I was one of those people."

Mr Downes said: "What I saw was a dark, man-shaped object approximately seven-and-a-half feet tall.

"It had a barrel chest and thick muscular arms and legs. I had a very clear sighting but I saw no glowing eyes and wasn't able to tell whether or not it was covered in hair."

But the Bolam Lake Bigfoot is only the latest in a diary of sinister sightings of strange beasts that have baffled North East folk down the ages.

In 1972, neighbours in Hexham, Northumberland, were scared out of their wits by a chain of events triggered when two young brothers unearthed two small carved stone Celtic heads while weeding.

They took the small heads, which resembled a man and a witch, indoors, and suddenly household objects began smashing, apparently by themselves.

Most terrifyingly of all, their next-door neighbours were woken each night by a 6ft half-man, half-wolf which appeared on their landing and ran off down the stairs. Several times they found their front door wide open and the sound of panting and padding footsteps were heard.

A doctor in Celtic culture who believed the stones were 1,800 years' old took the heads to Southampton, where she woke feeling cold and frightened to see the same creature. She followed it outside, but it disappeared towards the back of the house.

The Hexham heads passed into the hands of other collectors who reported no werewolf problems - but no one knows where they are now.

In 2000, locals living near Alnmouth in Northumberland began talking of a spate of mysterious UFO sightings. Rumours that new military hardware was being tested by nearby RAF Boulmer were ruled out because it was a no-fly base.

As well as apes, wolfmen and UFOs, police have had reports of numerous sightings of big cats prowling the North East countryside. The so-called Durham puma, possibly a wild animal turned loose to fend for itself, has been spotted in areas ranging from Derwentside to Northumberland, while a similar Blanchland beast has also been reported. In September 2001 an attack in Northumberland on a flock of sheep - five of which were killed - sparked fears that a puma was on the loose.

Durham Police's wildlife liaison officer, Sgt Eddie Bell, who has been investigating reports of the puma for more than a decade, believes up to a dozen could be living in the North's countryside.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:56 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

ahh bolam lake, check out my thread if you haven't seen it viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6730

Bigfoot is a subject i like alot, i think its possible that these creatures may actually exist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:20 pm 
Someone Very Strange

I had a very interesting and inexplicable experience in Epping Forest when a teenager - will post up sometime

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:40 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

i shall keep an eye out when you get around typing the story up

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm 
Someone Very Strange

The Lost Ponda strange place at the best of times in the area of Loughton Camp within Epping Forest and near Loughton.

The proper name was was Blackweir Pond, known to us as the Lost Pond because of it's lost in the middle of the forest location. A strange circular-ish pond where we used to fish at night for carp, I say strange for it had a local and well told reputation at school as a suicide pond, where normal sane individuals would inexplicably drown themselves : that was the local story at least but we were not deterred from fishing.

On one of these fishing trips late in the evening in the mid 1970s we had encamped on the bank of the pond, in an area of clear gravel and a little away from the forest (easier to cast), with the fishing umbrellas behind us to form a wind break and preserve some warmth. With floats in the water and torches on them we fished for a couple of hours chatting away. Not much was happening except for the odd small crucian carp that the pond held.

Then from behind us out of the forest there came a loud shuffle in the leaves, Then thump, an extremely loud thud Then after a second there was another another thump and then after another - this time with the sound of gravel being crunched, getting closer all the time. The steps were about a second and a half apart.

Strange as it sounds, it sounded to me at the time as though a very heavy man had "hopped" out of the forest and was hopping towards us.

looking at each other with a mix of fear and annoyance that this might be one of the Epping Forest "Perves" that tales circulated about we grabbed the torches and bank-sticks (rod rests) and stepped out from the umbrellas to do battle in best Schoolboy tradition.

There was nobody there.

there was no sign that anybody had been there and no sound from the surrounding forest to indicate that someone was escaping from us.

We'd had enough at this point, In absolute terror now we packed up quickly (faster than I have ever done so before or since) and ran for it.....well... fast walked through the dark forest Torches pointing everywhere - just in case, bank sticks and sheath knives at the ready.

I still have no idea what could have made the noise we heard....suffice it to say that although this occurred some 30 years ago it remains vivid in my memory - because of the complete terror that I felt at the time.

Last edited by Wodenborn on Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:28 am 
The Ferryman

NGI keep meaning to have a trip up the road to Bolam Lake.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:54 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

martin-j wrote:
i shall keep an eye out when you get around typing the story up

very strange that one, i too would have been running with fear. i have wondered if these bigfoot creatures (if they are indeed true) are some sort of ghost, maybe a recording of the past when they were alive.

or we could go the other way and say there are indeed solid living creatures that are very good at hiding.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:17 am 
Someone Very Strange

Couldn't say whether, in this country, they are solid living creatures

if you took the Durham Moors (just as an example) there are so many pheasants, sheep, cattle, deer, rabbits, more rabbits and even more rabbits, streams full of fish, Squirrels, Cats, dogs, rats and so forth that any creature could survive with no problems.

then for shelter - there are so many caves and former drift mines and areas of forest that there is no problem there either.

and finally water - if you've been up on the moors you'll know there are no shortages there.

all in all a fairly good spot for a Bigfoot - or an ABC to survive quite happily in the middle of no where and un harrassed by humans..

they could exist - but in truth I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 am 
Part-Time Investigator

fair point, you would've thought they would find footprints of some sorts. then again they could easily be washed away by rain.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:15 am 
Someone Very Strange

Martin

the lack of the physical, although not confirming or denying existence, and the dwindling wild habitat does make me doubt that Britain could support any viable population of oversized hominids.....and the viable population is the key phrase....

at least with the ABCs there ARE footprints and fur and faeces....but again is it a solitary escaped animal or is there a viable population breeding away - there's enough food around and the climate's not that harsh.

oh and don't mention rain I am sick to death of it this year.8-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:31 am 
Part-Time Investigator

again i tend to agree with your points, somewhere like the usa/canada where they have massive forests that stretch for god knows how long would be better suited for them would you say? if they exist that its

i know there has been far too much rain around here lol