It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:35 am

Post subject: The Mothman
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:48 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

The Mothman sightings in Point Pleasant, West Virginia is a very strange event, A lot of people claimed to have seen a Mothman like creature for months. i seen a documentary about it awhile ago and it fascinated me. here are some eye witness accounts.

"On Nov. 15, 1966, two young couples from Point Pleasant, Roger and Linda Scarberry, and Steve and Mary Mallette told police they saw a large white creature whose eyes "glowed red" when the car headlights picked it up. They described it as a "flying man with ten foot wings" following their car while they were driving in an area of town known as 'the TNT area', the site of a former World War II munitions plant.

During the next few days, other people reported similar sightings. Two volunteer firemen who sighted it said it was a "large bird with red eyes". Mason County Sheriff George Johnson commented that he believed the sightings were due to an unusually large heron he termed a "shitepoke". Contractor Newell Partridge told Johnson that when he aimed a flashlight at a creature in a nearby field its eyes glowed "like bicycle reflectors", and blamed buzzing noises from his television set and the disappearance of his German Shepherd dog on the creature.[7] Wildlife biologist Dr. Robert L. Smith at West Virginia University told reporters that descriptions and sightings all fit the Sandhill Crane, a large American crane almost as high as a man with a seven foot wingspan featuring circles of reddish coloring around the eyes, and that the bird may have wandered out of its migration route.

There were no Mothman reports in the immediate aftermath of the December 15, 1967 collapse of the Silver Bridge and the death of 46 people, giving rise to legends that the Mothman sightings and the bridge collapse were connected."

There are a lot of theory's on what actually happened such as, mass hysteria, UFO's even men in black apparently turned up and asked people questions....something must of happened

Post subject: Re: The Mothman
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:55 am 
The Ferryman

It's an interesting case. If we take it that there is some truth in the tale, do you think that Mothman was a flesh and blood creature or something more paranormal?

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:10 am 
Part-Time Investigator

i would say flesh and blood creature if the accounts are true

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:46 am 
The Ferryman

I find the 'red eye' thing quite interesting as this feature seems to be common in a lot of 'spectral dog' and 'bird man' sighting the world over. There a good book called 'Three Me Seeking Monsters' that goes into this relationship and they postulate that they may be some sort of elemental earth spirits.

We apparently had our own Moth Man type creature here in the UK years ago called the Owl Man.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am 
Part-Time Investigator

sounds interesting, yeah i heard about the Owl Man on a documentary, very similar to the mothman sightings

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:37 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

The Mothman Prophecy's is a decent movie, it has paranormal elements to it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:17 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Hi Martin

Have you read The Mothman Prophecies by Keel? If not and you liked the movie I'd urge you to. It's a lot more interesting, and a lot weirder than the film. It covers everything from ufos, men in black, poltergeist activity and cryptids.

A lot of the more interesting writers and researchers quote Keel as an influence in their approach because of the way he thinks about this stuff. While I certainly have some issues with things he presents as facts in his books, his views are certainly worth delving into and thinking about.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:26 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

i might have to check it out sometime, cheers