It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Post subject: The Cooperage
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:44 am 
The Ferryman

The Cooperage is a large historical timber framed Newcastle pub dating to the 14th century. Previously it had been used as a Coopers workshop (hence the name) and supplied many of the barrels used in the cites other pubs in the 18th century.

There is a cosy atmosphere in the pub with two small bars on either side of main entrance. The bar has a timber framed ceiling with wooden beams. Old pictures of Newcastle adorn the walls. The pub attracts students, locals and Quayside revellers and it can be busy at most times due to its reputation for excellent real ales, and especially at the weekend

For our investigation, there were to be 3 main areas of the pub made available to us - on the ground floor was the main bar area, a secondary bar and seating area was situated on the middle level and on the top floor was an area for dancing and even more seating.

The management and staff working at the pub had told us a few stories that had occurred in the pub : the most notable one occurring not too long ago when a large television had been set up on the top floor for some of the customers to watch football. When the customers arrived they found the TV wasn't working and when a memeber of staff investigated they noted that all the wires and cables had been pulled from the back of the television. Where the TV had been set up, it would have been impossible for somebody to have leaned around and pulled them all out themselves.

On top off that stories were told of various noises and tappings that couldn't be explained along with sudden cold-spots. It appeared that most activity seemed to take place on the upper levels.

You read the about the full investigation HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:03 pm 
Stone Tape Recording

The Cooperage is a normal pub to me. It is one of the oldest Pubs in Newcastle but thats as far as it goes.

Last edited by Andrea on Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:50 am 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

ahh the cooperage, i enjoyed it. even during the pre visit i felt that there definitly was something up in that upper floor. when i get more time i'll do a write up on how i felt about the place etc and get it posted on here.

Post subject: Re: The Cooperage
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:11 am 
Scaredy Cat

Just found your site. Fascinating.

My husband used to DJ at the Coopersage a few years ago - on the first floor standing by the windows above what looks like the 'main' door on the photo's into the 'old bit of pub'. Anyhow one night while I was watching sparks flying from the high level bridge which was in the early days of it's recent strengthening work, i was back to back to a friend of his - a gap of about a foot between us - I was about a foot from the window at most on the right side of the pub as you look from the outside.
I'd got my mobile out to text a friend & while keying to the place to do that I heard a thud above me (the room above was closed & locked - confirmed by staff) it wasn't a something falling off something else kind of noise but a sort of 'floppy thud' ...!?!? Both myself & my husbands friend turnrd to eachother and startled asked eachother had we heard it as we both thought it 'not right' - we were both really aware of something & both felt the noise was almost something we felt too. Not sure how to explain it but it was very real & tangible.
Anyhow i went to carry on with my text message & my phone had frozen, I couldn't turn it on or off or anything - I tool out the battery & the screen stayed as was - still on & frozen! Hubby's mare & I were nervously giggling showing my husband who offered me his phone - it too had frozen! His though went back on by taking out the battery & replacing it. He not believing in much at all - religious upbringing shall we say - thought he'd be silly & played 'Theres a ghost in my house' by R Dean Taylor as a dedication to the pair of us. The next piece got him though....as the song started my phone vibrated & unfroze!! It was hillarious but completely bizzarre - it really was that song for a laugh & that happened!

Anyhow - good luck on your investigations & i'd love to join you all some day - maybe with an o.b.e lol!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:15 pm 
The Ferryman

Hi there Mappedout - welcome to NGI good for you to join us!

Sadly, I never made it to the Cooperage when we investigated there so can't directly comment on what went on when you were there in relation to the goings on at the Cooperage from my own experience.

But - there are many strange things that go on in places all around us. Ok, some will be just mad "coincidences" but then, who knows?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:29 pm 
Elite Investigator

i think we should investigate this place cos i dont think any of us who are in the team now have ever been :D and its local for me :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:48 pm 
The Ferryman

I just realised, after rereading what I typed earlier, that what I'd put makes no sense whatsoever .. :D .. hopefully you know what I mean!!

Maybe, tickle, maybe!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:03 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Hi Jay & Tickle,

Oh, I don't believe in the word coincidence - it 's a word to me that surpresses way too many things that are unexplained. A lot of things have happened to me that no one will ever explain to me better than my belief of what was happening or happened.
I've lived in places where there have been the most ordinary noises at the most peculiar times & places and i 'know' what I was hearing was not 'ordinary', the same place had a lift that at times cast no shadow on leaving the lift in the basement - the lighting was such that it did or at least 'should have' all the time. There had been a fire in this particular building donkeys years ago - in Newcastle city centre - not sure if anyone had died but it was a brilliant place to live!

If you ever do anything nearer Tyneside or further North i'd LOVE to come along.

Ann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm 
The Ferryman

Hence why I put the word coincidence in "" .. :D ... too many things are easily passed off as coincidence and a nice cosy explanation to explain what people can't or don't want to explain. There are many "coincidences" in the 'real' world such as politics and economics that our glorious leaders don't want us to know .. "don't worry, its just a coincidence" .. yeah, ok .. and likewise with the paranormal. Its keeps the comfortable normality intact and people don't linger on it .. yet work out the odds of some of these "coincidences" and you'd have more chance of winning the lottery .. "oh, its just happened again ".. "don't worry ... its just another coincidence" ... "another one? Jeez .. I should play the lottery" ... :D

We're often up that way .. We're at the Newcastle Keep in March so keep your eyes open!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:30 am 
Underworld Minion

Hi Mappedout!

Interesting stuff!
I dont 'do' coincidence either but I see very interesting patterns throughout my life as I'm aware of it as I'm sure everyone does should they notice.....

What is your belief of whats happening or whats happened?