It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:25 am

Post subject: Groups that don't seem to give a S**T
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:02 pm 
The Ferryman

NGI have been around for quite a while now and I think it's fair to say that over the years the majority of members have generally come to be less and less impressed by the 'usual paranormal investigation phenomena' such as faint clicks and small pops of light etc. (our non mediumistic members anyway). While some of these may indeed be paranormal in origin, they are so 'slight' that it is impossible to tell either way and so it makes them pretty irrelevant.

It is true we have had the occasional bit of 'decent' activity over the years (which I think is why we still do it), but these have been few and far between.

With the sheer amount of other teams out there it seems such a shame that this kind of evidence seems to be gaining so much credibility among each of them and making otherwise non haunted locations (as much as you can call any location non haunted) seem like Borley Rectory on a bad day.

Does anyone agree with me or am I being unfair?

Post subject: Re: Groups that don't seem to give a S**T
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

I think you are right Mark.
I blame Most Haunted really. Whilst I must credit it with getting me interested in ghost hunting, i was interested in the paranormal way before Most Haunted blighted our screens.

Sometimes when people are going on about clicks....its all I can do to bite my tongue and not take the piss. Theres little or no evidence of these things being paranormal. We cannot eliminate all sources of sound or exclude someone from say clicking their toes.

flahses of light, I see lots of these and sometimes when there appears to be other activity occuring its easy to beleive them to be paranormal. However I do have a problem with one of my eyes (detached retina that was never fixed fully) so I tend to link these to the artifacts I see most of the time anyway. I most confess, however, that one night whilst sitting inthe pitch black I could see black orbs moving about. That was unique for me as I saw them with my naked eyes.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:48 pm 
The Ferryman

On my first ever invo at the Ancient Unicorn Inn, there was what I considered at the time quite a lot of activity along with a damn good photo I managed to get of a clear face in a mist whilst in a nearby cemetery (supported by "footsteps" walking around me hence why I took random photos) - I actually thought I'd have this whole game wrapped up in a couple of months, had "proved" ghosties beyond doubt and moved onto something else.

Nearly 6 years on, I think there is a definable difference between a random click or tap and a "paranormal" click or tap. Don't ask me to explain the difference as its to do with context and a zillion other things that I'd like to think experience helps in sorting the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

Anyway, I still get amazed when flicking through the channels and I catch a minute or two of MH when they go into a orgasmic spasm 'cos theres been a little tap over in the corner. Big deal, go in any building and you'll get 100s of them a day .. but that type of thing doesn't help with the groups your talking about Dok.

I tongue-in-cheek coined the term "Creaky Floorboarders" in the early days of NGI when some would automatically attribute any sort of noise to Elvis or Henry VIII. Get a grip!

Sadly, there are a lot of groups of "Creaky Floorboarders" in existence and I personally think they don't do much good. As such, I've moved away from getting excited about taps and clicks (despite 2 or 3 excellent examples of what I'd term paranormal in nature, over the years) and now demand flying chairs and dancing wardrobes all the time!! You've heard one tap, you've heard the all ...

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:52 pm 
The Ferryman

We're due another 'Dacing Wordrobe' I agree, and the term 'Creaky Floorborder' is certainly better than a 'Woo'

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:27 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

Well still to this day, any hunt I go on with any group, I hear a tap and still the first thing that goes in my mind is 'ok, who in this group has done that??' yea I agree that every house (even new) have their own creaky floorboards or their own tappings. What I love to ask is for spirit to tap on the ceiling, if there is a direct response to that I know for a certain fact that no one in the group could touch the ceiling and create that sound. Something I said yesturday at work when someone opened up a present of a wind chime 'why not put that in an empty room away from window draft and see if spirit can move that.' (just an idea I guess, but maybe you could try that on another investigation, I know I got around 4 wind chimes).

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 am 
Site Admin

AprilButterfly wrote:
Well still to this day, any hunt I go on with any group, I hear a tap and still the first thing that goes in my mind is 'ok, who in this group has done that??' yea I agree that every house (even new) have their own creaky floorboards or their own tappings. What I love to ask is for spirit to tap on the ceiling, if there is a direct response to that I know for a certain fact that no one in the group could touch the ceiling and create that sound. Something I said yesturday at work when someone opened up a present of a wind chime 'why not put that in an empty room away from window draft and see if spirit can move that.' (just an idea I guess, but maybe you could try that on another investigation, I know I got around 4 wind chimes).

The problem with a wind chime is that theres air currents moving in a building all the time.
Warm and cold air, someone opening a door changes the pressure in a room, even if doors inbetween are closed.
The only way I could think it would be of any use would be in a sealed, airtight room.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:14 am 
The Ferryman

We'll try anything on an investigation so feel free to bring your wind chimes along on the next invo, but I can see it being pretty difficult to ensure that all slight drafts are ruled out.
A table being shot across the room would be better :D

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 am 
Site Admin

doktor_phibes wrote:
We'll try anything on an investigation so feel free to bring your wind chimes along on the next invo, but I can see it being pretty difficult to ensure that all slight drafts are ruled out.
A table being shot across the room would be better :D

We would need at least a perspex box we could put the chime in.
To eliminate natural air currents.

But even then the "evidence" wouldnt be too compelling.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:10 am 
The Ferryman

That would be a bit like using a plasma ball then?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:37 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

true true. I would love a table or glass to move on its own accord.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:04 am 
The Ferryman

or a wardrobe... we had a wardrobe

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 12:35 pm 
A Stiff

What u need is to forget all the scientific guff and just say "yes" to everything a medium tells you.....see life would be much simpler? Instant gratification and conversion. Worked for Derek didn't it?

Ps don't actually mean that

And Shaun don't jump on the gratification bit!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:33 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

lol believe the mediums in what they say.... I don't believe all of them as there are fakes out there as well as real mediums and its the fakes that give the good ones a bad name

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:48 pm 
Someone We Know

Abaddon wrote:
What u need is to forget all the scientific guff and just say "yes" to everything a medium tells you.....see life would be much simpler? Instant gratification and conversion. Worked for Derek didn't it?

Ps don't actually mean that

And Shaun don't jump on the gratification bit!

Haha I love this.

I've seen so many so called psychics be spoon fed over the years it becomes frustrating... however, it does help in separating the wheat from the chaff so to speak!

I switched MH on for the first time in around 8 years this past week and I just despair that the investigators on there are still saying 'WHAT WAS THAT???' at every tiny creak they hear... first of all the speaking noise covers up any noise they may have heard, and the echoes of that speaking cover up any subsquent noises. Of course, the crew on MH are on a contract so I think we can put most of the occurences there down to 'entertainment purposes'.

I guess the trick in any paranormal setting is to be objective and take into consideration environmental and natural factors. I agree with the original post stating there is a difference between a normal tap and a paranormal tap... but I also think its one of those things you have to be there for. More a feeling than anything else... and I don't think you have to be psychically trained to feel it.

I tend to go off course when I blab on for a bit so I'll shut me trap for now... just thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth!
Out.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:52 pm 
The Ferryman

Rachel wrote:
I guess the trick in any paranormal setting is to be objective

Never a truer word spoken.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:16 pm 
A Stiff

Totally with you on this one.....we usu look for the rational explaination first and then head outwards to the outer limits. Think good example of this would be the Busby Stoop Dok, first floor corridor...could be taken for high spiritual energy but actually was probably the number of electrcitiy fuse/junction boxes up and down the place.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:08 am 
The Ferryman

All those fuse boxes certainly made you feel strange in that corridor. Hairs standing on end etc.
And all totally non paranormal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:18 am 
Someone We Know

Just a thought here - have you noticed the difference between groups that use mediums on a regular basis i.e. MH and groups that dont i.e. TAPS

TAPS tend to use their emf and immediately discount areas emitting high electrical signals and they are definitely on the high end of the objective scale, however I've never seen MH use their EMF meters for that, they tend to just say oh heres a high/low reading and leave it at that - they tend to rely on the mediums present for confirmation.

I'm not sure I agree with either extreme but a nice middle ground would be interesting to see... from what I gather NGI has a mix of people who attend investigations. I'm going to have a read through the reports now to gauge the differences

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:25 am 
The Ferryman

We do indeed use a mix. I hope you find the reports interesting. They are of varying quality as they span across many years and we also are not suggesting that the 'medium' information contained in them should be taken as factual, but we like to at least publish everything that was picked up upon or experienced just in case it later becomes relevant.

Its a shame that more groups don't put up reports on their sights for other teams to compare results to.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:15 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

I always put my reports in my group on each ghost hunt I go to (including NGI) lol and always put a link on each group I have done the hunt with.

I remember going to Castle Keep with a friend from church years ago and the actual security guy stated that we picked up alot more then Derek Akhora who attended that place weeks earlier then ourselves. I still don't know if the likes of Derek are just getting paid to say anything for entertainment, or is he geniune??? we shall find out soon I hope.

I know one thing, Richard Felix did admit that on one of the MH shows he done, he was alone in this room with his hand held camera, he has a pen in his pocket and throws it to the other side of room and he stares in camera 'what was that!!!!!' right from Richards mouth.

MH is FAKE and gives other paranormal teams a very bad name

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm 
Elite Investigator

Have not been on an NGI investigation, but the other ones have all been good in their own way (mostly). I tend to prefer the mixed approach, where you can have a medium/sensitive and a largely sceptical view of evidence. For me it makes the whole thing more interesting.

I have been to one where the attention was pretty much all towards the medium, and it just became a bit silly and pointless really, because no-one was doing anything other than listening to them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:34 pm 
The Ferryman

I agree. NGI always uses a mixture of technical and spiritual means investigations. As long as all the data is dealt with correctly it makes for a much more interesting time.