It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:28 am

Post subject: The Old Well Inn
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:56 pm 
The Ferryman

The Old Well Inn is a 17th Century Coaching Inn that sits in the center of the historic Barnard Castle.

The Inn sits with it's back against the castle walls and buildings have been present on this site for centuries.

Before The Old Well Inn - named so because of a ancient underground well that was found below the celler - the Inn was known as The Railway Hotel and the hotel itself took up at least 4 seperate properties (as does the inn today) from number 17 to 21 The Bank.

Egglestone Abbey

Before heading to The Old Well Inn, the team first visited Egglestone Abbey - a late 12th century Pre-monstratensian abbey - which is located a 5 minute drive from the center of Barnard Castle.

The centre of the church - the crossing - has virtually disappeared, save for one wall of the south transept which dates from c1275 and still retains much of the window tracery and some of the delightful detail of the buttress. From the first church, only the north and west walls of the nave, and the foundations of one wall of the north transept have survived. Despite this central 'gap', the remaining walls of the church all stand to a good height and, with some imagination, it is possible to visualise what a magnificent building this must have been.

Egglestone Abbey was another 'border' abbey to suffer the financial blows of various wars and disputes throughout the middle ages and, consequently, much repair and reconstruction has taken place over the years. Egglestone Abbey was dissolved in 1540 and, it is believed, shortly afterwards the church tower was demolished because it spoiled the view from the old monastic buildings which had, by now, been converted into residential dwellings.

Although the abbey was not an official investigation by NGI, the Mediums within the team picked up on various spirits associated with the site.

It was difficult for them to come up with anything more than Monks (as you would expect), but it was interesting hearing about monastic life, however, it was felt that the site - perhaps due to it's ruinous state, perhaps due to the time that has past - wasn't at all active.

Read The Full Investigation HERE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:50 am 
Elite Investigator

This was the quietest place ive been too, I dont think this place was haunted. :roll:

Post subject: Hi
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:04 am 
Stone Tape Recording

I didnt make this Investigation and it sounds like it was a very quiet one, but in the line of business we are in..lol This has to be Expected, go to all sorts of different places and not get or capture anything, but again this is why we do this for! So for me when we get nothing its ok cos its what we want to do Prove either way and it seems that you lot did it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:22 pm 
The Ferryman

Yeah, it has to happen every now and again .. bit of a shame really, but never mind!

Post subject: Re: The Old Well Inn
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:53 pm 
Scaredy Cat

You may be intersted to hear that the lady you mention in the text of your investigation at the Old Well Inn, who had to leave the room in the middle of the night was my wife. Can we contact you with the details.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:16 pm 
The Ferryman

Sure Andy .. either post them in this thread (probably best - unless you want to keep the details quiet) or email it to me at admin@northern-ghost-investigations.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:38 am 
Stone Thrower

You should look into a return visit there. Im sure thats the place where we were sat out the back in some shed/ hut and I was gettn pains? None of the team today have been there Jay barr you, have they? Be worth taking them, the owner (if still the same) also owns another pub in the same area.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:33 pm 
The Ferryman

Your description doesn't ring a bell sue .. can't remember your "pains" .. Wasn't the most fun of investigations if I remember rightly tho!

Eek .. reminds me - Andy, I did get your thing .. moved house tho so my head was all over last week!