It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Post subject: Dabbling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:53 pm 
The Ferryman

Have you ever had anyone say anything to you along the lines of "You shouldn't be dabbling in things that you don't understand"?. If son what are your thoughts on this, and what would your reply be?

Post subject: Re: Dabbling
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:14 pm 
The Ferryman

Most people have a misunderstanding of things such as the occult or the paranormal in general - much of it coming from sensationalist tabloids or fictional TV.

I've been having a conversation with someone thinking about coming to the Keep next month - but her and her group are a bit wary about Ouijas and Seances .. Ouijas are the usual one tho - if we had a £ for everyone who reacted badly when the 'O' word was said we'd be .. ermm .. rich?

But because people have read some or watched some fictional account of a kid using a ouija and things went bad (wouldn't be a good book or film if it never went bad!) then people are obviously reluctant.

I've never personally heard of someone having a bad time of it after using a Ouija or doing a seance - so if it does happen, its very very rare - and in most cases, will probably something brought on the person themselves (psychological? "Is someone going to die sat round this table?? .. Yes? .. ME??!?!?! :shock: )

The occult is maybe a little different - if your playing around with something that could potentially summon up a demon or two - then its best to be on the safe side even if you don't believe in any of it.

But personally, I'm an explorer and you don't get to discover anything new without a little risk - so if theres something out there to try which might give an answer or three - then I'll be at the front of the queue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:22 pm 
The Ferryman

Me too. I've read of accounts of Ouija experiences where things have allegedly gone wrong, but have never come across any first hand. There is that danger of doing your self some real psychological harm with them though, so I always say that if you are in any doubt then it's probably best to leave well alone.

You hear it quite a bit when witchcraft and the use of magic are mentioned, although you rarely hear anything along the lines of 'You really shouldn't be dabbling with prayer you know", when it is basically the same thing with a bit of added glitz.

People should really stop using tabloids and movies to base their views on.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:29 pm 
Breezy Draft

Yeah, according to my family im the devils child and no good catholic girl should dabble in witchcraft and devil worshipping.

(You'd think they'd have realised by now that i aint no GODD catholic girl) :lol:

seriously though its a load of bollocks, they are the ones who demonise it all, As for Ouija boards, well it keeps my mother out of my bedroom, thats all that matters to me.

Personally I think its all just a method of communication like letter writing, email and phonecalls. Im sure that if you showed a bloke in the 10yh century an email, hr'd think it was witchcraft or black magic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:34 pm 
The Ferryman

It all stems out of Magick. A seance is a Magickal Ritual .. you create a circle .. focus .. and attempt to communciate with entities .. Prayer is the same (basically cos all of Religion came out of Magick .. priests, alters, "sacred" ground, dieties, symbolism yadda yadda yaddda) .. Most people don't realise it tho when they go about their daily lives .. actually - just came across this lately .. "Amen" is another name for Atum - the Divine Creator and the original Sun God in Egyptian Mythology .. So when people pray - they are praying to an Egyptian Sun God!!

Yes, loads of stuff we take for granted comes from Magick and the occult but have been incorporated into daily life because they have been deemed acceptable by society (sometimes modified tho).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:47 pm 
Underworld Minion

and beyond that ..........'magick' itself is as manipulated as the rest of em hehehehehe!!!

Its all in intention and applivcation as well as loads of other stuff and regarding this I replied to someone having a rant about this kinda thing on another thread recently and like I said then when they said people who play with fire get burnt people who play with fire also get warmth and can cook food and can use this for loadsa other stuff too......

Dabbling.......what a word hehehehehe!!!!

Altho saying that what if all we are told in this respect is true and we dont know what we are doing and we do ope the gates of hell and all that....???
Whats all the bad shit with it anyway maybe we'll open the gates of heaven maybe this is just some spin by St peter to stop people getting in over the fence hehehehehehe!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:53 pm 
Breezy Draft

Yeah I bet he's stood at that gate now, with his two big butch bouncers, and a list stopping us evil people and saying "Your names not down, so you aint coming in"
:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:27 pm 
Scaredy Cat

I did a sort of ouiji board when I was 11. Well friends at the time, cut out the letters and numbers. Nothing happened apart from the lad whose house we used, got a rollicking off his Dad.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:31 pm 
Breezy Draft

Well I dont have an issue with my kid trying it, But then he knows the importance of doing stuff like this with someone else and making sure the board is shut down afterwards. Infact I think Ouija Boards are not much different from Pendulums and dowsing rods, yet people are always willing to give these a try, in fact Cameron often uses his to find his trainers or other stuff he's lost. I think its all about education, if you teach people not to fear stuff like this and use them with respect, I dont see an issue with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:52 pm 
Underworld Minion

agreed Bekki!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:41 am 
Elite Investigator

I think dabbling can be a good thing - but like all things in life it should be approached with common sense. Maybe if you were feeling a bit vulnerable, its probably not a good idea to start doing things like Ouija and summoning demons etc... If only because anything negative that may happen could potentially affect you for a while. Just like if you played football and you went into the game with your head down, you might get injured or lose the game. For me, its how you approach things mentally. I guess most of us have bad days now and again.

Basically I think if you are of sound mind at the time, then its a challenge and a choice whether to dabble in something. and if you are feeling mentally good, then not doing something probably wouldn't be something that crosses your mind anyway.

Doing a bit of research before trying anything is probably good. Probably sounds obvious and maybe a bit patronising to say that, but I'd recommend it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:46 am 
The Ferryman

You often hear people say that you should 'only use ouija boards in the company of someone who knows what they are doing'.

'Knowing what you are doing' in this case seems to be being psychic, doing white light protection rituals and going on about demons. Is it just me or does this seem a bit odd?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:51 am 
Elite Investigator

Very odd. Like there is some kind of a qualification for using a Ouija..

And protection for me, is all about making people believe they are ok, kind of like the teamtalk before a footie game... psyching people up a bit...too many football analogies...lol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:55 am 
The Ferryman

I agree. I've been on investigations where people have been feeling quite happy until mediums have brought up 'protection rituals' and what can happen to you if you don't do them. They then start to feel nervous which has got to be a bad thing if we're talking spiritual defense.

If you don't feel like you need protection then why bother. If you do feel like you do, then feel free, although I would argue that you're probably better off not to participate at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:05 pm 
Elite Investigator

Exactly. I think also, if you start to believe you need some kind of protection, then you move straight into the camp of people who will believe anything. And in my limited experience on some investigations, that is exactly what they want. The medium then attains some kind of elevated status, and everyone soaks in every word they say.

btw, I have nothing whatsoever against mediums. I just like everything to be balanced, not a medium lovefest... :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:13 pm 
The Ferryman

neither have I. It sounds like I'm having a pop at mediums in a lot of my posts but I don't have a problem with them, especially the NGI ones. It's just that I don't like things being portrayed as FACT when there is no evidence for it, and some of them are indeed looking for attention.