It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:30 am

Post subject: The Highgate Vampire
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 11:03 am 
The Ferryman

Anyone on here familiar with the Highgate Vampire affair?
It's a case that fascinates me but probably for different reasons than you may think.

Post subject: Re: The Highgate Vampire
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:41 am 
Elite Investigator

go on..

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:15 am 
Site Admin

I read about it about a year ago.

I didnt think it was particularly amazing, lots of room for error really.
Strange perhaps, but given the times it was reported in, I'd say more fantasy than anything else.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 am 
The Ferryman

The thing I love about the Highgate Vampire are the two principle players involved, namely Sean Manchester and David Farrant. They hate each other with a passion! I've read accounts of the case by both men and much of the text seems to be them slagging each other off. Farrant has just got a new book coming out which should be a fun read.

The accounts of the case differ in the fact that Manchester's tale reads like a cross between Dracula and the Devil Rides Out, with his vampire being of the classic fangs, garlic and stake through the heart variety, while Farrants is more of a dark energy with red eyes, a kind of psychic vampire if you will. Whichever tale is the closest to the truth(?) is still a matter of much debate, but what I find interesting is that even though they disagree on almost everything, they do seem to agree that 'something' did indeed happen at Highgate, which was also witnessed by many independent people too.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:29 am 
Yeah but then I moved away.

It's actually a story I primarily associate with you Phibes.
The relationship between the two writers is beautifully english. It's like last of the summer wine in a cemetery.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:31 am 
The Ferryman

Scubbins wrote:
It's like last of the summer wine in a cemetery.
:D :D :D :D

Last of the summer WHINE more like. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:59 pm 
Underworld Minion

I've heard of this but not for years maybe you might inspire me to relook at it if its interesting Mark...???
offf topic slightly have u read about the kirklees vampire that intersting.........

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:20 am 
The Ferryman

Is that the one connected to Robin Hood in some way?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:50 am 
Underworld Minion

yeah, his grave on the Kirless estate etc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:54 am 
The Ferryman

Yeh, I've read a bit about it. There's a good chapter on it in the 'Vampire Hunters Handbook' by Sean Manchester.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:53 pm 
Elite Investigator

mark do you think these creatures exist? and no i'm not mocking i want to know more..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:37 am 
The Ferryman

Hmmm do Vampires exist? In the classic sense I''d put them in the same category as dragons as they have been reported all over the world by different cultures for centuries. On one hand they probably represent some sort of fear that we all have in us, but on the other hand who am I to dismiss all the stories. If I'm being honest I don't think I do believe in fanged, blood drinking animated corpses, but I never say never.

With the cases of the Highgate Vampire and also the Kirklees Vampire, the actual 'vampires' themselves have been usually described a black floating shapes with red eyes and seem to have much more in common with 'energy draining spirits' than actual vampires as we commonly regard them, in fact the Kirklees Vampire is often described as a 'preditory wraith' rather than a Vampire. While I believe there may be some truth in both the Hightgate and Kirklees cases I think they are much more related to some sort of 'Haunting' or 'Thought Form' than the blood drinking undead.

The only person who has really stated that the Highgate Vampire was a Vampire in the 'Classic Sense' is the very controversial Sean Manchester and his 'Vampire Research Society'. He claimed to have 'exorcised' the being in the 'ancient and approved manner'' in a North London neo gohthic mansion in the 70's. I've no reason to state that this didn't happen other than it sounds a crazy (and fascinating) story, but you'd think that they would have kept some 'evidence' of the Vampires existence other than a pretty dodgy looking photo of the undead.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:33 am 
Elite Investigator

is the photo online anywhere?

there's been reports of "vampires" in berwick and alnwick over the centuries, normally involving someone dying and returning from the grave to inflicted doom on the living! i don't know how much is lost between myth and the truth but admittedly, it is fascinating stuff. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:27 am 
The Ferryman

Here's a link to the pic of the vamp. I'm interested to know what you think:
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... 0%26um%3D1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:46 pm 
Underworld Minion

hey Triplow do you know anything about 'vampires' linked to berwick law in any way?
I got a def reaSON for asking if you know owt can u pm me it ta!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:34 pm 
Elite Investigator

the pics are cool, but tbh i wouldn't like to say wether i thought they were real or not, the reason being theylook like props from a hammer horror flick :mrgreen: espcially round the 70's so... mmm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:10 pm 
Elite Investigator

i've pm's what i know claire... however i thought mark would like to hearit too :wink:

well apparently thetown has been home to two vampires, the first dating back to the twelfth century. a respected, wealthy merchant fell victim to the plague and after his death rumor spread that the man in question was in league with the devil. a couple of days after his burial, a local child went missing causing his body to be dug up and moved to unconsecrated ground. after this the "vampire" rose from his grave to seek fresh blood, and more and more people were vanishing and found with their throats torn out. after two weeks a meeting was called for the creatures remains to be destroyed, and ten brave men were selected to confront the beast at dusk. two of the men began unearthing the disturbed soil before reaching the corpse that showed no decomposition. the men hacked the remains to pieces using there spades and burned the body on a fire.

the second tale was actually as recent as the early 1900's. the story goes...

Betty Hough was happily engaged to farmer colin Mcfaddon. Colin saved every penny he earned so he could afford to marry the woman he loved. they met every weekend at the local pub for a drink and later a bit fumble in the hay at Colin's farm. one fri night at the pub, Betty excused herself to go use the outdoor netty provided, some time past and colin became worried, more so when a couple of lady's claimed the toilet had been locked and there was no reply from inside. Colin charged the door with his shoulder to find his lover dead and her throat torn out, it was not long before there was talk of a vampire in Berwick .

devastated Colin later heard a rumor Betty had been working as a prostitute trying to earn money to put towards their wedding, even so he made a promise that day to track down her killer and bring him to justice.

farm animals across berwick were found killed, intact with bite marks and seemingly drained of their blood - fueling the growing vampire theory and causing mass panic amongst the locals.

a few weeks passed and young girl of sixteen was late returning home from picking brambles, she had lost track of time and dusk was closing quick when she was attacked by a figure with what resembled canine teeth. luckily her screams were heard and two local farmers fought the attacker and managed to restrain him. the man was taken to the magestraite to face trial but the out comewas he was nothing more than a madman and a rapist. As he was being led away he bit the throat out from one of the guards and made his escape. Colin Mcfadden gathered a group of eger men together to hunt down the rapist which lead them to a make shift camp - littered with dead animals - in the woods. the man could not be found but on investigation a hollow in an huge tree which led underground was found. One of the men put his hand in the hole and could feel a foot, leaping back in panic, Colin filled with rage led the others to dig the man from his crypt, the man was put under arrest but Colin had other ideas and swung his spade at the prisoner, almost severing his neck others began beating and hacking the man to pieces until there was nothing more than a bloody pulp! his remains were burned so the "vampire would never return to harm their woman again.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:30 am 
The Ferryman

Thanks for that Trips, great stories.

I agree that the photos look like 70's Hammer Props and if I had to put my mark against what I thought they really were I would say they were just that. However, as I've never seen a 'real' dead vampire in the flesh before I don't know what I'm basing that on. :?

Do know about the Croglin Grange Vampire?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:18 pm 
Underworld Minion

Nice 1 Triplow, got u pm, replying to it just bear with me!
Mark - fuck yeah, we used to go there as kids to the Lakes and I was always begging to go hehehe!Used to shit myself up with the fact it was only bout 20 miles away from where we staying hehehehehe!
Went over thatway recently with the idea of going for a look but got sidetracked at long meg for too long!!!
That scared the shit outta me as a kid!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:08 pm 
Elite Investigator

no mate im not familier with that, im interested though..

i was saying to claire in a pm that i'd read about something to do with a "vampire" at the gates of old scotland yard, i don't remember anything other than the said "vampire" being cloaked

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:13 am 
Underworld Minion

have you heard of that Mark, was a new one to me!have you remembered any more Triplow?

heres a link to some views on the croglin vampire:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread459122/pg1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:14 am 
The Ferryman

No, I've not heard of the Scotland Yard Vampire though I have met a few cops I would have liked to stake), tell us more Trips!

I first came across the Croglin Vampire story when I was young. It was one of the tales written on the inside of these packets of sweets I used to buy. I think they were called 'Mummy's'. Do you remember them Claire? (you're old enough :wink: ).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:37 am 
Underworld Minion

sweets called 'mummys'????????
U sure someone wasnt having a laugh hehehe never heard of em Mark hehehe, what were they????????

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:06 am 
The Ferryman

No I used to buy 'em all the time. They were a tube of boiled sweets a bit like fruit gums. They came in 2 varieties Strawberry and Lime I think, and had a picture of an egyptian mummy on the wrapper. On the other side of the wrapper was a 'true' tale of the supernatural, one of which was the Croglin Vampire. To tell you the truth, the sweets were shit and I only bought them for the wrapper. Come on, someone else must be able to remember them?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:04 am 
Underworld Minion

fuck how did I miss them!!!!!!!!!!!