It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:37 pm

Post subject: what is a witch?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:26 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

i would like to here other peoples opions on what there definition of a witch is? are they evil? or do the represent pagan ,wicca, do they cast spells and evil thoughts on people, or are they just like everyone else that has a differant religion?have we all got crooked noses and hunch backs and fly around on broomsticks,and have an alter and couldren with eye of the bat in?just curious :wink:

Post subject: Re: what is a witch?
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 12:04 am 
Part-Time Investigator

i say awoman with green hair and a cooked nose hehe
no seriously a witch in my veiws is someone with great knowledge of the earth and elements and uses this knowledge to perform spells and to creat a better world, not dancing naked round a fire or flying on broomsticks, nor devil worship

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:13 am 
Stone Thrower

again its down to belief (or religion)-- as you say above spell work etc, they do good or should, as there are rules in that religion too like most others..... I once (maybe twice) done a spell and to my suprise it worked, that was during a new age course Id done a few years ago now and the last subject was witchcraft, but the energy in that circle was really strong you could feel it building up, again theres that word popping up "energy"......... I wouldn't call myself a witch although it is an interesting subject, but maybe as a last resort Id try a spell, actually Id done one a few weeks ago (my 2nd eldest daughter is a complete teenager from hell) refuses to go to school has no interest in her education / future at all, so i thought right no harm in trying a little magic spell :wink: -- I got a pic of her, something from the school (letter head) and used a rose quarts (love) and clear quarts as a booster lol-- thinking in my head "right u will love school and go"...... again the following week there she was off to school, i kept asking how it went her reply was "ok" even teachers had commented on how well she'd worked catching up on what she's missed out......... but then after about 10 days things went back to normal her not wanting to go, or having an attitude whilst she was there.... so maybe this spell needs done on a regular basis or maybe it was just "coincidence" -- what do you think??

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:28 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

dam teenages need a constant spell on them, to stop them asking for money,cloths, more money,aaaarrrrrr incase i never mentioned itMONEY.for everything lol :shock: :D

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:05 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

just shot teenagers then we would all be fine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The truth is out there to be found - you just got to look for it.

kris@paranormaluk.co.uk
Paranormal UK

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:07 pm 
A Stiff

Boot camp from the ages of 12-20 then 10 years in the army should sort it.. :lol: :lol: :wink:

All the latest goings on are viewable here.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:33 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

agreed, seconded - when does it start? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The truth is out there to be found - you just got to look for it.

kris@paranormaluk.co.uk
Paranormal UK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:48 pm 
Scaredy Cat

there are many types of witch and most are good. however there are some witches that i would keep clear of like satanic witchers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:46 pm 
The Ferryman

To be fair - "Good" and "Bad" is really just a classification that we ourselves place upon things based upon our own perception. For instance, the general consensus is that Hitler was "evil" - do we therefore think that Hitler would wake up on a morning saying : "Today - Ve Vill Invade Poland! Maaannn .. I am a baaaaaaad and Eeevil Deutschlander!" .. :wink: Probably not - he probably thought he was the good guy.

So its very difficult to class anyone - witch or not - as 'good' or 'bad' as it totally depends on our own perspective. What a White Witch does is exactly the same as what a Black Witch would do - the only difference is on the individual intention behind what they are doing, yet they both believe what they are doing is 'right' or 'good'.

As for Satanic Witches - in truth, there is no such thing. Satan is a Christian creation (and taken on board by one or two of the other major religions as the protaganist) whereas most proper Witches reject or abandon Christian teaching and so therefore don't recognise Satan.

In truth - Satan or Lucifer as he was originally known - was one of the original Gods of magick, and eventually became a Pagan God - the Bringer of Light .. the Bringer of Knowledge .. and was demonofied by Christianity to try and destroy Paganism during the dark and middle ages. So any Pagan / Wiccan or other modern-day 'witch' who claims to reject Lucifer isn't really what they claim to be and are more likely just pissed off Chrisitians because Lucifer is part of the bedrock of all magick.

True - there exists the Hollywood Satanist which in most cases is just confused kids into Death Metal - but best to ignore them :wink: .. there also exists those people who *think* they know what a Satanist is (based on their time as a Metal-Head or what they read somewhere so it must be true!) who'll scrag a chicken every now and then. Then there exists the real Black Magicians who base what they do on ancient knowledge and grimoires - them, yes, you need to be careful of, but fortunately, they are relatively few in number.

Most of magick and occult these days is based on ignorance and is used as a primer for the masses and lacks any potencey. Those who show promise get a visit and / or invite into something with a bit more to it .. those that show promise at that level .. on and on and on. Those that don't show any promise just carry on believing and doing whatever they want to believe and do and are none the wiser for it.

So witches 'evil'? No .. Spells and evil thoughts on people? No .. Like the majority of others and caught in a belief system? Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:18 pm 
Scaredy Cat

point taken.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:24 pm 
The Ferryman

I'm not trying to make a point really - there is just a lot of media based or religious based dis-info concerning magick and the occult at all levels - just like anything - and its important we don't just tag onto it.

Just like with the paranormal the non-believer would just pass it off as bunkem because it doesn't fit in with his or her world view, the sceptic won't accept anything that doesn't fall within the realms of science and the believer talks about spirit-worlds where all our passed on family members are watching over us etc .. A lot of what each group says is a jumble of rubbish, half-truths, dis-info and fact and none are right or wrong .. what we have to do - in all walks - is to try and sort the wheat from the chaff to get the real and proper picture.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:30 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

well hate this rubbishy new age crap........... goth etc,,,,,,,they will never know majick the old ways ........... just out of there little spell books that they buy from sabrina the teenage witch............but ofcoursr they will all be into the darkside ,,,, and like you say,, no dark or light both the same,,,,but they think that the devil is someone that will appear to them , strange :evil: :evil: :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:45 am 
Part-Time Investigator

Most people whose religion is Wicca or Pagan that i know of don't like the term Witch because it's associated with 'Evil', the general consensus being that evil or wrongdoing is something that does avoidable harm to another living thing. :evil:
Really wicca is all just about believing in the balance and power of nature, it can be used to your own advantage as long as that doesn't affect anybody else because Wiccan's don't believe in using 'spells' to influence other people's actions. If you cast a spell to do harm then it will come back round twofold. So maybe the term Witch could be looked at as the stereotype with the broomstick and the crooked nose because it's so far removed from Wicca now anyway.
:D x

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:24 pm 
The Ferryman

.. or Wicca is so far removed from the Witch! :wink: .. And its three-fold, by the way, not two-fold - so 100 lines for you Ms Beth!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:23 pm 
A Stiff

derek wrote:
well hate this rubbishy new age crap........... goth etc,,,,,,,they will never know majick the old ways ........... just out of there little spell books that they buy from sabrina the teenage witch............but ofcoursr they will all be into the darkside ,,,, and like you say,, no dark or light both the same,,,,but they think that the devil is someone that will appear to them , strange :evil: :evil: :D :D

I think youve got that wrong Derek.

The Gothic culture, true gothic culture started way back in victorian times. They didnt have sabrina the teenage witch back then!
And Goth is not about witchery its about a way of life. Ture Gothic is more about Vampires and traditions surrounding them.
Its more about Bram Stoker and nothing to do with witches.
Todays "goths" are more Emo's I think thats where your getting confused.

There is no such thing as white witch or black witch its all the same culture except there are different practices envolved. Of course people will disagree with that. But basically being a witch involves both sides of the coin.

"no dark or light both the same,,,,but they think that the devil is someone that will appear to them , strange"

This is total crap. Sorry but it is.

The true Gothic culture as i know it doesnt think this. This kind of statement is from people who dont know it or have any understanding of it.
Thats the steriotypical image of goth all doom and gloom, but that comes from the image which people perceive it to be. Its nothing like that.
Recently theres been a blame put on the Gothic trend for some suicides but these kids are Emo's. You wont find many instances of Goths commiting suicides or mugging old ladies.
But I think its just an excuse, just as people blamed Iron Maiden years ago for there satanic pictures and song lyrics for giving some people suicidal tendancies.
Im sorry but any person who kills themselves is a depressive or on that path. You dont just listen to a song or become a goth or emo and think oh yeah now i shall kill myself.

Being a goth is about acceptance, following a path which is both dark and light and embracing that.
Being a goth is about expressing yourself in a way which is right for you not everyone else. Its about romanticism. It has no pronounced political messages on individualism, tolerance for diversity, a strong emphasis on creativity, tendency toward intellectualism, a dislike of social conservatism, and a mild tendency towards cynicism, but even these ideas are not universal to all goths. Goth ideology is based far more on aesthetics than ethics or politics.

If you go to Whitby in April or October and actually witnessed the real Gothic culture then youd maybe have a different opinion.

http://velvetslayer.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

Last edited by hairyfairy on Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:26 pm 
The Ferryman

I've heard the term Emo of late - but for the life of me haven't got a clue what is, who is and how they differ from - say - a regular goth (if at all they are related!). Come on Blu - enlighten me!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:32 pm 
A Stiff

Emo is an off shoot but nothing to do with Gothic excactly.

They have no deep based culture as goths do, they listen to a form of music and thats all they do.
Goths arnt just about a style of music. As ive said there more about romance, dress, culture, spirituality.
Emo's have no beliefs or history because there is none, where as gothics tend to follow more victorian traditions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:37 pm 
The Ferryman

I don't mind seeing Goths about - I have a kind of Vampire fascination myself and think it looks cool when done right. Plus, a young attractive lady goth can certainly stir me in some places .. I like the heavy black eye make-up that some wear (the gals, not the guys!).

But this Emo malarky - I dunno .. seems like a bunch of raggamuffins to me ..

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 pm 
A Stiff

I totally agree.

I hate being termed "Emo" by people who are blind to the difference between the two.

Im a goth. Pure and simple always have been and always will be even when i cant get into a corset LOL
Maybe next time i get goth'd up ill get scips to do a piccy!!

Emo is just a phaze in music that will die out eventually, something different will come along and then therell be a new trend tagged onto goth.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:04 am 
Part-Time Investigator

Jay wrote:
.. or Wicca is so far removed from the Witch! :wink: .. And its three-fold, by the way, not two-fold - so 100 lines for you Ms Beth!

Consider me corrected Mr Jay, :P and i'm only doing 99 lines so nerr....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am 
The Ferryman

When did you guys start having a conversation about Goth without including me?
I must confess that blubird annoyed me with her "Todays "goths" are more Emo's I think thats where your getting confused" line. Thank heavens she redeemed yourself later on! It's bad enough getting mistaken for a Metaller without all this Emo crap as well. :evil:

As for Goths liking vampires, this is true in a lot of cases but there are many goths who hate being associated with the vampire scene. In fact there was a bit clash between goths and vamps about 10 years ago which is best forgotten. A lot of goths I know don't even dress in a gothic style most of the time but are more interested in the music side of things. It is true that goth means different things to many people but the main core of the actual gothic subculture has to be the music which developed from Punk and now incorporates different styles such as gothic rock, darkwave, EBM, deathrock, synthpop etc.

As for Derek and his "goth etc,,,,,,,they will never know majick the old ways", well I'm a goth and a pagan so I'd have to disagree with that statement (although I have seen a episode of Sabrina).

Oh and Blubird, I didn't realise you were a Goth, be sure to check out my magazine - Unscene if you haven't already! Issues come with free CD's and everything! (plug plug) :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:26 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

and the question was what is a witch????? im a true pagan,,, had a true pagan marriage,,,,the differance between pagan and goth ??? goth is near pagan ,,,but pagan is more to worshiping nature, the elements and all it has to give. goth however to me is just,,,,,the music the attire,the eyeliners,,,pagan you are as freee as a bird with no worry, asnature helps you with wantever ails you,, you can do spells for yourself and others in all good intent which i have done in the past ,,and will continue in the furture. but hate the word witch, as many hate emo. but saddening as it is that is what we get ,,,,,,,,,,,,emo or witch,,,,, as it is still used today.by MANY,,,,, and it is the thricefold law not twice, what ever you do to nothers in life will be cast thricefold back. what isx a gothic law???

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:35 pm 
The Ferryman

It's a bit silly comparing Paganism and Goth, as one is a religion and one is basically a music sub culture. It's a bit like comparing Christianity to County and Western - there aren't any comparisons to make. Many Goths are pagan but many are also Christians, Atheists etc. As for gothic law I would say that "one should not wear tracky bottoms and trainers" is probably a good one. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:39 pm 
The Ferryman

doktor_phibes wrote:
As for gothic law I would say that "one should not wear tracky bottoms and trainers" is probably a good one. :D

Amen to that .. should be a universal law that one .. the first political party to include that in their manifesto gets my vote - and considering I've never voted in my life before, thats saying something!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:57 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

:D :D :D :D MARK good one ,, but will check out that mag yu have :wink: