It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:27 pm

Post subject: Ghost hunting myths and false information
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

Come on guys, lets hear what you have seen and heard claimed by people investigating the paranormal.

Do we need protection?
Will nasty evil ghosties follow us home and do unspeakable things to us when we sleep?
Will demons appear through the floor from the pits of hell and make cockroaches live in our heads?

lets seperate the facts from the outright rubbish that exists in the circles we move in.

Post subject: Re: Ghost hunting myths and false information
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:11 pm 
The Ferryman

My opinions:

Do we need protection protection?
If were talking about protection from evil spirits I would say no.
1. I've never used protection (fnar fnar) and have suffered no ill effects not have I witnessed any ill effects on fellow team members who don't protect themselves either.
2. I've seen no conclusive proof that evil spirits (or good ones for that matter) actually exist.

Will nasty evil ghosties follow us home?
I would say that is is doubtful, and that it is wrong to tell people that there is a possibility that they can.
See point 2 above.

Are Ouija Boards safe?
If you crack someone over the head with one then I suppose it would hurt a bit but other than that, they're just like like any other form of alleged and subjective kind of spirit communication. Sometimes a they're a bit of fun but mostly a wast of time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:20 pm 
The Ferryman

Does having lots of machines that go 'ping' help you investigate the paranormal?
Absolutely not. Equipment is all well and good if it's used properly and that you know why you are using it, but more often that not groups will impart wisdom such as "The reason the K2 meters lights flashed means that there could be a sprit present as spirits use EMF energy". Well I suppose it 'could' be true, but then again I could possible win the lottery at the weekend but I very much doubt it.
Most of the time equipment just gets in the way and fuels the ego of many groups, by making them believe they are being all scientific. Despite the fact that they can barely string a coherent sentence together when trying to debate the paranormal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lusXJIfB4ys

Hehehehe couldnt resist.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 pm 
The Ferryman

:D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:56 am 
The Ferryman

Quote:
"The reason the K2 meters lights flashed means that there could be a spirit present as spirits use EMF energy"

Just to expand on this myth .. the reason a human being creates a (weak) electromagnetic field is because of the various processes that take place within the human body that keep us alive. The "fizz" in the brain as neurons fire, the small electrical pulse that makes our heart beat etc etc ..

Given that ghosts, by their nature, are "dead people" and any electrical activity that DID take place once upon a time would have been be contained in their body which has now stopped because the body is dead and is either buried 6 feet under or burnt to ashes - there is zero reason why any spirit would give off an EMF.

An EMF reader is NOT used to detect ghosts (impossible, even if they were proved to exist) - but to detect EMFs within a location which can wibble peoples brains if high enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:07 pm 
The Ferryman

Plus, the handheld EMF meters that nearly all teams have are calibrated for mains electricity and are unable to detect the so called 'Experiencing Inducing Fields' that have been shown to cause 'paranormal experiences' (and even that research has come into question).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:41 am 
Someone Strange

the k2 is calibrated as a safe range metre so does or can pick up dangerous high emf thats what they were designed for not for talking to long dead aunt mable

i do beleive in the theory thay high emf can cause " wibbles in your mind" lol or has some sort of side effect, take a pub celler for example, we investigated the central hotel in the town center and as soon as we went into the cellar it felt heavy and after spending a good 5 mins or so we all started to get a head ache and feel a bit iffy, but the pumps were giving off huge emf even at quite a distance. although it didnt effect us enough to see aunt mable raiding the beer kegs. but it did have some sort of effect.

not sure what effect standing down there for even longer would of had, but a headache was bad enough (hate headaches)

http://www.somethingparanormal.co.uk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:47 am 
The Ferryman

I agree with the hight levels of EMF theory too. Uber Skeptics would tell you that there is no scientific proof of this (and they are right), and that the fields that have been shown to be 'experiencing inducing' are at the low end of the spectrum and can't be detected by the usual EMF reader (also true).

This does not mean however that there isn't something in the High EMF theory. Our own investigations have shown a correlation between hight EMF and 'experiences', and many other teams have also, which I why we will continue to look into this.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:43 pm 
Site Admin

What about the fact that ghost hunting is considered evil?

Whats the need for protection all about? protection from what?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:47 pm 
The Ferryman

I've noticed that this notion always seems to come from the hyper religious. From Christian fundamentalists who would tell you not to 'dabble in the occult' or else you're going to hell - FACT!
or even from the Spiritualists who put great store in protection. With all due respect, you would have thought that if Spirit Communication was so dangerous then they wouldn't do so much of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 pm 
Elite Investigator

I wonder if its some kind of insurance policy against the unknown evils that 'might' exist. Which kind of begs the question, if they are unknown evils, then why aren't the polar opposites such as 'friendly' ghosts seen as 'devils in disguise'?

It almost makes me feel that these evil entities are figments of their/our own dark imaginations. Almost like protecting against something which might exist, and because it is evil, it hides away, and so must be protected against. Quite like good against evil, or the friendly witch in Wizard of Oz against the wicked witch..

Yes it might be helpful psychologically for some, but it almost seems like a type of tradition. i.e people don't quite know why they do it, but they do it anyway..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:57 pm 
The Ferryman

mind you if performing protection rituals does put you in a stronger frame of mind then it's got to be good, although maybe you should ask yourself whether this is the best kind of activity for you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:09 pm 
Elite Investigator

That's what I always think. We can be odd us humans..