It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:10 pm

Post subject: Human Memory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:39 am 
The Ferryman

Here's an interesting article on why we can't trust what we see.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8617945.stm

I originally found the link on the Otherworld North East forum where they are discussing it too. http://www.otherworldnortheast.org.uk/forums/index.php

Post subject: Re: Human Memory
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:02 pm 
Site Admin

Human memory has a habit of filling in gaps with things we didnt really see.
And talking to other people about the situation usually leads us to beleive we saw the same thing as others.
I think thats why beleivers see ghosts and sceptics dont.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:13 pm 
The Ferryman

I've never 'seen' a ghost myself but I've been present on a couple of investigations when people claimed to have. Both times were very different.

The first one was on an NGI team only investigation where Jay shaw his 'Shadow/Person' that he genuinely thought was me. I saw his face immediately after the event and it was one of bewilderment. His 'sighting' was and still is very much a topic of conversation, and while he still doesn't necessarily believe what he saw was a ghost, he is sure it happened, as am I.

The other time I was there when someone witnessed a 'Ghost' was when I was a guest at another teams investigation. One of their 'customers' suddenly claimed to have clearly seem the ghost of a man standing at the back of the room during a table tipping session. There was no doubt about it in his mind he said. What I found rather strange was that after a few mins this sighting was forgot about. I watched him closely and he didn't even keep glancing at the area where is 'definitely saw a ghost'. Maybe he just sees ghosts all the time I dunno, but I do know that if I had seen what he claimed to, then it would have been more of a life changing experience. Makes you think doesn't it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:33 pm 
The Ferryman

I have often, in my time within NGI, had a look of bewilderment on my face for many many reasons or because of certain people - not just ghost sightings - so that's proof of nothing .. ;)

But the memory and processing of information in general, is beset by a whole manner of pitfalls that always lets us down - again, paranormally speaking, thats sceptics and believers alike and BOTH sides of the argument need to remember that (geddit?? ;) ) ..

I'm tired of pointing out to the sceptical mind that they are subject to the same inadaquecies in memory, recall, reasoning and rationality as the believer .. but, to them, they never are .. they're perfect and everyone else is a nut job ..

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:46 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

I noticed a lady in background still scoffing her face with spaghetti while the argument was getting rowdy

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:58 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

Just reminds me of a programme I watched last Friday where there was this bloke who went to a conference with a load of actors (he did not know they where actors at the time.) They spent a couple days in this posh hotel and the programming team had camera's all over and basically made this poor bloke believe he murdered someone. Was very interesting how they played with his mind, started to change the colour of a tie behind the blokes back, then changing a dress (also behind the blokes back.) Trying to confuse his mind. They announced how a strand of pearl necklaces where missing. While the bloke was downstairs, the crew put the pearl necklace in his room. They carried this blokes body outside (while he was sleeping) and said how they seen him woundering around at 4am in the morning. Then the police came in and said there was a murder. This poor bloke ended up going to police station to confess that he may of killed this person only to find out later that the station he was in was all fake and the rest of the people where just at the other side of a piece of wall paper.

Was very interesting programme

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:40 am 
Someone Strange

to be honest the mind is a very unreliable tool especially in the paranormal field, its easily maniplualted especially when someone is desperate to experience something. the slightest noise, the slightest movement can be taken in as something paranornal. and this can pass on to others, the most common thing is "did u see that" then others follow on, it gets to a point where things are exagerated. one common misinterpreted thing is when people get cold, your body goes into sleep mode at around midnight time, obviously not exact but ner enough within this time your body shuts itself down to an extent ready for sleep, so you get cold but this is nearly always interpreted as paranormal. your eyes also become more sensitive in the dark, looking for any instance of light, so again any slight shadow, light or movement can be misinterpreted.

so really without photographic, video or audio evidence to back something up, can u really trust what u see?

then again with the digital cameras and camcorders can u really trust what they show you aswell, but thats a topic for later :D

http://www.somethingparanormal.co.uk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:03 pm 
The Ferryman

Couldn't agree more Ian.