It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:07 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Read the post below and then decide
Go for the gun 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
1 in 10 is good odds 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Don't know what to title this ..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:09 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 10488
....

This isn't a mathmatical problem even tho I'll be using probabilities - so try and not think of it as such. It is a general "what would you do" scenario.

Here it is .. you're in a shop, a bank, a workplace. Wherever. Somewhere public. And into said "Somewhere" - a bunch of nasty pasty robbers, terrorists, Jehova's Witnessess come marching in tooled up with the latest guns.

They state quite clearly to you that there is a 90% chance your going to get your brains blown out and a 10% chance you survive by the end of it all. This is "fact". They are making this clear. Lets say there are 10 hostages. They mean it when they say 9 of the hostages will go bye-bye and only 1 will live.

However, you don't know what the criteria is for them determining the 9 and 1 .. Maybe they'll go by age or in reverse alphabetical. Or whatever. You don't know. All you know is that there is a 10% chance you survive.

Standing near you, one of the bad guys stretches and yawns, then puts his gun down to give his eyes a rub. The gun is right there. 6 inches from your hand. All you have to do is reach out ..

.. knowing that if you do and you succeed in your Heroic escapade (shooting all the baddies), you'll definitely survive. However, if you fail, you'll definitely die.

So what do you do?

Do you settle for the 10% chance of survival
or
Try and be a hero.

NOTE : Again, this isn't a mathmatical problem - so don't try and determine it that way - this is a genuine "What If" question ..

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations
Latest blatant plug for some stuff that I'm in the middle of!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Don't know what to title this ..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:12 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Posts: 10887
Location: Stockton-on-Tees
I voted that I'd 'Go for the Gun'. Not to be a hero, but I think I'd like to have my life in my own hands rather than leaving it to chance.

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations -
Messing around with things we don't understand since 2005


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Don't know what to title this ..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:17 am 
Offline
The Ferryman
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:28 pm
Posts: 10488
There isn't a right or wrong answer to this - I'm just curious as I've been researching something lately - and I want to see if the effect seen in the psychological study is seen in other examples.

(Tho I accept that its nigh on impossible to immerse ourselves in this scenario completely)

_________________
Northern Ghost Investigations
Latest blatant plug for some stuff that I'm in the middle of!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: Don't know what to title this ..
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:50 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:40 pm
Posts: 2556
Location: Billingham
go for the gun, your future is in your own hands then.

_________________
I aint afraid of no ghost

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Theme designed by stylerbb.net © 2008
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
All times are UTC [ DST ]