It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:58 am

Ouija boards usefull tool or complete twaddle?
Poll ended at Wed May 11, 2011 3:08 pm
Usefull tool 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Complete twaddle 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Other (please state in thread) 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Ouija boards
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

After several discussion at the forum in Darlington, I am more convinced that theres is absolutely nothing in ouija boards at all.
In fact I would go as far as stating that people are more screwed up because of the scare stories than the effects of actually using one.

We all know of someone who knows someone who was mentally disturbed after using a board. But how true is this? is there any documented evidence that says theres a possibility of a spirit harming you?

Post subject: Re: Ouija boards
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:04 pm 
The Ferryman

I voted "useful tool" .. but .. I don't mean it in the sense of communicating with Great Aunt Mable .. I think they're useful for observing the psychology behind people.

Personally, I don't think Ouija's can speak to the dead (in "normal" circumstances - little doubt a strong spirit could move one if they existed) - but its interesting to see how they do move around the table, how they are being moved and trying to determine whether any messages are conscious or unconscious.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:09 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

Hi guys :D
Finaly someone to write down something bout this!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 1:30 am 
Someone Strange

I'm with people that say 'well how can a piece of PLASTIC (or wood) be a problem?' However, it can be a vehicle for communication; as people on here probably know, a spirit can 'attach' themselves to a person and follow them home after an investigation and start causing trouble.

I suspect (or my theory anyway) that's what happens with ouijas: if you start messing around with them in graveyards or whatnot, you could attract an entity that is bored, they'll attach themselves to the board and/or you and follow you home. Then they'll be on the lookout for when you use the board and communicate that way.

I just wouldn't mess with them unless you're around someone who knows how to deal with them/get rid of spirits afterwards, because they supposedly just get a bad rap in general (although I'll personally never use one myself).

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:49 am 
The Ferryman

I've voted 'Other'.

I've seen no evidence that they can contact the dead. While I have experienced the glass/planchette move at speed when I've been convinced that there is no one purposely 'pushing' it, the information received is always too subjective to be of any real use.

Will I keep doing them? (without 'protection') .... probably.
If there is the slightest chance that the people telling me that I could get a spirit attached to me are correct, then at least I'll have the 'evidence' I'm looking for. It is why I'm an investigator after all.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:13 pm 
Someone Strange

Yeah I had voted Other as well...it's a tool I suppose, but by itself its not going to be legit, it has to have an operator. Same goes with scrying, like with scrying mirrors and all.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:09 pm 
The Ferryman

At a recent invo a lady came up to me and said 'I hear you've got a Ouija Board set up, I just wanted to say that I am really against the use of them'.

I replied that nobody had to participate in any of the experiments if they didn't want to, and that I hadn't seen any evidence of a Ouija contacting the dead. If they did they wouldn't be any more harmful that any other method anyway.

The lady then agreed with me and said that she didn't believe they worked anyway.

It just goes to show how the Ouija influences opinions in people who claim not to even believe in them.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:08 pm 
The Ferryman

Whether we are aware of it or not - we're all influenced by stereotypes - whether its someones race, sex, age, religion or whether somebody has a a Ouija glued to his / her head.

Its generally the "normal" accepted view of something that weans itself into our own thinking. "They" say that Ouijas are bad and nasty and evil and so shouldn't be messed about with.

I've always said to people who show reservations about ouija's that most of the "horror stories" surrounding them are just that .. stories .. either coming out of Hollywood or that have come from a group of people, pissed up one night, messing about with a Ouija - someone at some point will ALWAYS ask : Is someone sat here going to die soon? ..... and then some numbnut moves the planchette to Yes and then when asked "Who?" .. pushes it towards their mate for "a laugh" ... what follows is great hilarity!

Anything else beyond that is purely made up.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:13 pm 
Someone We Know

I think so much urban legend has been attached to the ouija board its hard to say what it has become.

I think theres probably a 'right' way to use it, and simply that most people just dont know what that is.

Logically it has everything available to become a communication tool. However, unless you use one with either yourself alone or with someone you completely trust with your life then its likely to be a fail, because of overexcited fingers moving the planchett. Its just not a reliable enough tool for me personally.

Also, because of the negativity and the skepticism surrounding them, once you've decided that theyre a load of shit, then you automatically close yourself mentally to them, lock the door and throw away the key. And theres not much strong enough to break that door down.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 pm 
The Ferryman

Rachel wrote:
Also, because of the negativity and the skepticism surrounding them, once you've decided that theyre a load of shit, then you automatically close yourself mentally to them, lock the door and throw away the key. And theres not much strong enough to break that door down.

That's why we try to keep an open mind with everything in NGI. Even though many of the team are yet to be convinced we will still occasionally use them in experiments. We are 'investigators' after all and to discount things just because they are controversial would be a shame.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:05 pm 
A Stiff

I've rarely had a useful interaction with a board , with one exception, tho glass divination does seem to work for me. Have to say tho Dok that the big board you made that we used at Chillingham in Richard Felix room certainly did seem to get results more than the smaller ones we have tried.

Open minded about them overall I think.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 pm 
Someone We Know

I used to own a witchcraft shop a couple years ago and we made certain things by carving wood etc.. ouija boards were one such thing.

We started experimenting with different types of planchettes to try and minimize outside influence but due to personal illness I never managed to complete the research. Maybe take this up again out of interests sake :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:10 am 
The Ferryman

love to hear about your results if you do.