It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 am

Post subject: Re: NGI and Scepticism
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:47 am 
The Ferryman

Hangman wrote:
Now that that is settled...

What are the areas where the so called believers, sceptics and any others actually agree? Are there any?

Do any 'really' want to find a true answer or just one which supports their theories, ideas or preferences?

Well I do think that everyone has an opinion on what they really want the 'truth' to be whether they have made up their mind about it or not. I think that as far as 'believers' are concerned, there isn't really any need to look for the true answer because as far as they are concerned they know what it is anyway. The believers in NGI say they can talk/see dead people and I have no reason to say they can't.

The 'Skeptics' (for want of a better word) seem to differ. Some genuinely sit on the fence and look for answers (though they will have their preferences), while others look to stamp a currently accepted 'scientific' principle on anything that happens regardless of the facts.

Personally I genuinely believe that what we commonly term 'the paranormal' does indeed happen. The poltergeist-like phenomena that I've experienced in my teens convinced me of that. After saying that I do take a sceptical approach to the paranormal in that I haven't a clue what is behind this phenomena. I'm not ready to say it's the spirits of the dead, but I wouldn't dismiss it either.

Post subject: Re: NGI and Scepticism
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:22 pm 
Underworld Minion

''Do any 'really' want to find a true answer or just one which supports their theories, ideas or preferences?''

good question Hangedman.....I'll add to that:

Do any 'really' want to find a true answer or just one which supports their theories, ideas or preferences or just continually be looking for questions?