It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:40 pm

Post subject: NGI and Scepticism
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:45 pm 
The Ferryman

I've read a few times in the past that NGI has more believers than sceptics, but looking at us and going on what I have learned by talking to people, it seems that the out and out 'spirit of the dead' believers are really in the minority at 3/10. That leaves the other 7 who take a sceptical view which I think is interesting.

Post subject: Re: NGI and Scepticism
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:48 pm 
Underworld Minion

I dont take either view Mark I just talk absolute fuckin shite....just 4 the record !

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:49 pm 
The Ferryman

I knew you'd say that. You just refuse to be labled. :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:51 pm 
Underworld Minion

do I shite I just fuck about hehehe!
So many people want labels and things for themselves and others,gets right no my fuckin tits!Dont give a fuck bout content so long as boxes are ticked.........fuckin bollox........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:53 pm 
The Ferryman

Saying you take a 'sceptical viewpoint' isn't really a label though is it?
I really believe you do, like it or not :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:00 pm 
Underworld Minion

if I have a question I'll ask it,bout owt!why does that seem to make people think i'm sceptical....why this obsession with the 'secptic' thing that every1 seems to have...is it some google search engine thing hehe???
Why doesnt that make me 'questioner' as oppose to 'sceptic'...???Fuckin poncey labels and little boxes tick cross tick cross absolute shite......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:03 pm 
The Ferryman

But a 'sceptic' is just a 'questioner', nothing more.

It's taken to mean all sorts of things by some people, but that it not what I'm saying at all.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:09 pm 
Underworld Minion

I get sick of having this conversation hehehe!There are plenty of things I dont question too so does that make me a believer....???
A sceptical believer...???
sceptcs and believers are 1 and the same and we all question certain things and acccept certain things if people just accepted this blatently fuckin obvious aspect this rather focussing and obsessing on the whole ''are u a sceptic or a believer' shiyte and arguing over whos a true sceptic what this entails and the only way u can truly b this or not and what something is and what something sint and just got on and did stuff and looked to themselves and thier own patterns of what they believed and what they questioned then things might not only be more interesting but they might get further in what they purpose to be 'investigating'........

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:17 pm 
The Ferryman

I never get sick of having this conversation.

So basically by saying that if people

"got on and did stuff and looked to themselves and thier own patterns of what they believed and what they questioned then things might not only be more interesting but they might get further in what they purpose to be 'investigating'"

Aren't you just saying that they should employ healthy scepticism?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:18 pm 
The Ferryman

What kind of things don't you question Claire?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:19 pm 
A Stiff

Listen to everyone,read everything you can that is the experience of others,but only accept that which you can prove for yourself or have had experience with yourself or can associate anothers experience with that of your own.

You wont go far wrong. :wink:

All the latest goings on are viewable here.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:33 pm 
Underworld Minion

u need to get out more Mark hehehehe!
Or apply healthy scepticism for your own motives for repetition on certain subjects hehehehehe!!!

I'm saying that we all ask questions of things and we all absolutely believe certain things too....Jay calls it cherry picking and for easyness sake I will now....basically we all pick and choose for whatever reasons what we accept and what we question so 'helathy sceptisism' is cherry picking....as is openminded scepticism or believing but also questioninig....and we all fuckin do it anyway, its fuckin obvious!!!
We all do it and self awareness of this as oppose to rigid box ticking and labelling is probably more fun than this repeated shiyte...........

What kind of things dont I question....?Probably the basic stuff like when I feel the urge to shit I go to the appropriatly named shitter and lo and behold shit comes out of my arse.........same as all of us!The fact that we cant walk on water yet we can cos how could we not be able to do something we can dfo....science tells us that everything has an equal and opposite reaction so what baffles me is why people accept this yet then seem to think it doesnt apply when they dont want it to apply.......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:37 pm 
The Ferryman

I'm not sure I agree that 'Healthy Scepticism' is the same as 'Cherry Picking' but there you go.

I didn't mean to start yet another believer vs sceptics rant. My opening post was just an observation. nothing more. A statement which I shall now revise to -

I've read a few times in the past that NGI has more believers than sceptics, but looking at us and going on what I have learned by talking to people, it seems that the out and out 'spirit of the dead' believers are really in the minority at 3/10. That leaves the other 6 who take a sceptical view and 1 that talks 'absolute fuckin shite'.

Better?

Any more takers for 'absolute fuckin shite'. Jay?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:45 pm 
Underworld Minion

heheheheheheeh damn right Mark hehehehehehehe!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:52 pm 
The Ferryman

I think it stems from the fact that a few on here won't buy bullshit .. whether thats wrapped up in believer bullshit or sceptic bullshit. Remove the noun .. its just bullshit.

Bullshit is peddled by everyone - whether they realise it or not. I hear just as much pseudo-science come from sceptics as I do believers .. hence why I remark that most of what gets spouted in regards of the paranormal comes off the back of a cornflakes box. Its entertaining BS .. nothing more .. but entertaining BS that suits the cherry picking - so it "must be true".

If people applied the scientific sceptical approach correctly then there wouldn't be as many repetitive debates that crop up - wouldn't have to have any. I will always stand up against narrow-minded opinions - from believers or sceptics - and argue against them.

Its so easy to get sucked into a blinkered view on something or to look at something only at the first layer of the onion skin instead of delving down and deep .. but thats cherry picking for you .. we read something that confirms what we believe and suddenly think we have all the answers and don't need to delve deeper .. and then we end up with entrenched views where the world conforms to our belief. As my other one says : We often mistake our limits of what is possibile with what actually is possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:54 pm 
Underworld Minion

hence why for a while my signature read ''the only limits are those which we set ourselves'.............

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:57 pm 
The Ferryman

I agree. I hate Bullshit even though I talk it myself, but at least I'm prepared to admit it. It''s the Bullshitters that believe their Bullshit is gospel that pisses me off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:05 pm 
Underworld Minion

so:

''I've read a few times in the past that NGI has more believers than sceptics, but looking at us and going on what I have learned by talking to people, it seems that the out and out 'spirit of the dead' believers are really in the minority at 3/10. That leaves the other 4 who take a sceptical view and 1 that talks 'absolute fuckin shite', 1 who is aware of bullshit being peddled by everyone but is quite hard to pin down as he talks in third party easy to spot tho cos has big splintery arse xxxxx and 1 who talks bullshit but is prepared to admit it''

Last edited by pollen101 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:07 pm 
The Ferryman

I like it. Anyone else want to amend the statement further?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:10 pm 
Underworld Minion

I will, I'll change 'tlaks' to 'talks', in fact I'll edit it now seeing as its an offical hehehe!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:29 pm 
The Ferryman

I think that pretty much sums it up so far! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:13 am 
Someone Strange

Now that that is settled...

What are the areas where the so called believers, sceptics and any others actually agree? Are there any?

Do any 'really' want to find a true answer or just one which supports their theories, ideas or preferences?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:20 am 
A Stiff

Define a true answer.

Everyone sees this differently because not everyones experiences are the same and the truth is most definatly in the eye of the beholder.

The ONLY question that really needs answering and the one at the heart of the matter that everyone wants to know regardless of wether they will admit it or not or they are a sceptic or not is thus.

"Do we survive the death of the physical body"

From my own experiences and many years going round in circles putting the peices together on this subject i'm quite happy to say "yes i believe we do" how this all fits into the bigger wider picture of universal conciousness is yet to be explored beyond this level of existance.

If i'm wrong when i die you can sue me because i wont care as i wont know. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:47 am 
Site Admin

Orbione kenobie wrote:
Define a true answer.

Everyone sees this differently because not everyones experiences are the same and the truth is most definatly in the eye of the beholder.

The ONLY question that really needs answering and the one at the heart of the matter that everyone wants to know regardless of wether they will admit it or not or they are a sceptic or not is thus.

From my own experiences and many years going round in circles putting the peices together on this subject i'm quite happy to say "yes i believe we do" how this all fits into the bigger wider picture of universal conciousness is yet to be explored beyond this level of existance.

If i'm wrong when i die you can sue me because i wont care as i wont know. :wink:

The thing is why do we rarely experience ghosts beyond roman legions?
I mean if we all survived the death of the physical body then there would be ghosts of everything that ever lived......must be awefully crowded.
Does the energy disapate after a while, which would mean that ghosts can die also, if thats not the case where are they?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:55 am 
A Stiff

Anth wrote:
Orbione kenobie wrote:
Define a true answer.

The thing is why do we rarely experience ghosts beyond roman legions?
I mean if we all survived the death of the physical body then there would be ghosts of everything that ever lived......must be awefully crowded.
Does the energy disapate after a while, which would mean that ghosts can die also, if that's not the case where are they?
The universe is a very big place,and how do you know that there are not the energy forms of everything that ever lived,you can't see the radiowaves that disseminate into many different channels for your TV or Radio but they are there , who is to say that this is not the case for the various levels of conciousness and maybe we lack for the most part the means physically to be able to see these,you only see with your eyes a very narrow band in the spectrum of what is truly available the same goes for what you can hear as well.And who's to say that conciousness requires a large space or a small space and wether it is infinitely expandable or collapsable to a pinpoint,space is only relevant in the perception you have and are able to understand.