It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 am

Post subject: Whats the psychology of the Believer?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:10 pm 
The Ferryman

Are there any psychological pointers that define a believer?

Post subject: Re: Whats the psychology of the Believer?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:30 pm 
Professional Investigator

what about the god gene theory?

Its not psychological but...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:19 am 
Someone Very Strange

I think I take exception to this....my genes persuade me to be a believer in the paranormal...come on pull the other one.

I believe in the paranormal because I have SEEN or WITNESSED proof of it, it's nothing to do with simple faith in something - it exists because it has been demonstrated..

In my 53 years of existence I have lived in one haunted house and "Lodged" in a haunted Nurses Home (Margate)..I have seen solid 3D apparitions simply fade away,unexplained moving dark shadows, objects move, disappear and reappear when there was no one in the house at the time, toilets with enclosed "behind walls" mechanisms become disconnected and the wall needing to be opened to repair, drinks pipes in pubs being disconnected when there was no one there, the sounds of footsteps, anomalous smells, and even on a couple of occasions being physically attacked - the last time about a month ago when my lip was cut and blood was everywhere (witnessed by at least 3 other people).

so to say that It's all in your genes to make you predisposed to believe is an argument that is spherical and in the plural.

however...does this mean that I have come over all air headed and ascribe everything to a paranormal argument - of course not...

It's not a matter of belief but one of proof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:31 am 
The Ferryman

I suppose I could be classed as a 'believer' for the same (not quite as intense) reasons. I don't really like describing myself that way though because of the assumptions that come with it.

I tend to look at everything from a pretty skeptical viewpoint and it's funny that quite often when I get into a debate with a 'squeaky floorboarder' or the like, I get accused of being cynical with couldn't be further from the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:35 am 
Someone Very Strange

A sceptical view is GOOD - please never lose it..

I try to be as sceptical as possible - even for a medium - and am strict in an adherence to a scientific method throughout my run investigations - none of this wandering around like cats poking meters here there and everywhere, or the " I feel that"...on a proper investigation it must be conducted scientifically, methodologically and truthfully.

squeaky floor boards or even creaking hangars have got me into a lot of bother when I state nope - natural and not a tap or a footstep...

But if it's not one of my investigations I cannot dictate the terms of engagement....so to get access to some places I just have to stay shtumm and do the best I can..

assumptions are terrible things aren't they....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:36 pm 
The Ferryman

Assumptions are terrible, especially assumption led investigations. We do find it tricky to adhere to the Scientific Method on investigations, but we do try our best to remain as logical as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 pm 
Someone Very Strange

Logical and rational are the keys to a good investigation

A protocol for behaviour never hurts either.

but then most of the other group's investigations that I have been to seem to end up with the unherded cats driftiing around poking meters into cupboards and running around when something is seen or heard somewhere. Flash going off willy-nilly and someone being a right arse trying to provoke a reaction.

nothing you can do about it apart from find a secluded area and pray they leave you to it.

If I had my way and investigation would be a medium walk through followed by setting up of equipment in identiified areas then lock the place up and disappear to the pub for a damn good natter...

then a couple of hours (or so) later

come back, take the equipment down, allow photographs and then bugger off to review the captures.

but then most people want the "experience" and the holiday snap of an orb rather than gathering good evidence.

I did say way back that I'm quite jaded with the whole MH wannabee thing.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:41 am 
The Ferryman

I couldn't agree more about your views on investigations, and believe me we've been there in the past. I think a lot of the problems arise from groups taking paying members of the public along as they want to be 'entertained' rather that conduct an actual investigation.

There is a lot to be said about leaving a location locked off and going down the pub as it would really reduce human contamination of the data. But as much as I like going down the pub, I still feel that the human element may be important in haunting. If the reason people 'see ghosts' has got something to do with some external force affecting the human brain, then you're probably not going to get much data if you take humans out of the equation.

If a ghost rattles some chains in a empty house, do the chains make a sound?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:03 am 
Someone Very Strange

in some ways agreed

as one of the sensitives (what an awful term) the human contact is sometimes beneficial to an investigation - as long as the "Investigators" (ahem) are not trampling all over the place, shouting, banging on things saying can you do this, shouting go on do something, taking flash photographs when all that happens is that everyone loses their night vision, manifestations instantly cease and dust is captured as orbs.

eradicate this and other "So Called " techniques and yes it is possible to combine a decent investigation with the investigators still there.

some of the best recordings have been made when a location is locked off

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:28 am 
Site Admin

I'd say its more a social thing. If you are brought up with the possibility of ghosts, then you are probably more likely to beleive.

I dont think theres a way to predict who will be a beleiver or none beleiver, well other than guess work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:45 pm 
Scaredy Cat

Quote:

I wouldn't use the word define, but there are certainly reliably found psychological correlations, as a quick example;

http://www.aiprinc.org/para-ac05_Irwin_1993.pdf

http://www.uni-graz.at/dips/neubauer/lehre/fm_lll/musch_ehrenberg.pdf

http://artsweb.uwaterloo.ca/~pseli/Pennycook%20et%20al.%20(2012).pdf

There's a bunch of stuff freely available through Google Scholar if anyone wants to look. And of course the question works the other way with regard to non-believers.

Of course the picture is a bucketload more complex than that. And if looked at completely objectively, the question has to be asked - do these psychological factors cause people to experience the paranormal, or do they allow them to experience the paranormal? An interesting one to ponder (don't worry Dok, I won't apply Occams Razor to it here! :lol: ).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:49 am 
The Ferryman

Lee D Munro wrote:
Quote:
do these psychological factors cause people to experience the paranormal, or do they allow them to experience the paranormal

A good point, and I'm sure one of these factors is at the rout of 'ghost' experiences. I tend to side with the former.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:41 am 
Scaredy Cat

My Fav Subject :D

I think people believe what they want to believe. Im a Firm believer in Infra Sound waves, Psychological factors but already spoke about this loads and loads so dont wanna bore the people who knows me lol

I believe 110% Psychology is a BIG factor in Investigations and "paranormal" or what people Percieve to be Paranormal...

I try not to be closed minded as im sure people have said that about me but after investigating over 70 Plus places and been involved and part of 3 paranormal teams I still believe the same and remain a Skeptic