It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 am

Post subject: Spiritualist church's
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:10 am 
Part-Time Investigator

My dad died 3 months ago in hospital very suddenly, anyways there is a Spiritualist church not far from where i live and have wondered if i went there would they pick him up. now i don't believe people can talk to the dead in my opinion, most of the time so called mediums just fish for information from the person.

what's your opinion?

Post subject: Re: Spiritualist church's
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:26 am 
The Ferryman

First of all, sorry to hear about your dad.

It's a tricky subject this one and I'm sure people on here will have differing opinions on this. There are a couple of people who go to spiritualist church on this forum and I'm sure they'll have their say, but for what it's worth, here's my views.

There's no proof at the moment that mediums can communicate with spirits. Sure there's some interesting data, but nothing conclusive. It's well a well known fact that many so called mediums use cold reading techniques, so the dilemma you've got is that if you do see a medium or attend a spiritualist church you are not going to know if any message that comes through is from the 'spirit world' or not. In the end it boils down to the 'faith' that you have in the medium.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure many people have gained comfort from getting messages from dead loved ones via a medium and you may find it of help to, but it can also have adverse effects too.

Personally if you're having doubts about the Spiritualist Church I would stay away as I think it will only muddy the waters for you. I've been to one myself out of curiosity, and while I found the people there all very pleasant, there was nothing that indicated that there was anything 'paranormal' taking place.

You need to be very weary of people who claim to have all the answers in the field of the paranormal, because nobody really does.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:38 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

i hope i don't offend people on here who believe in spiritualist church's, thanks for your opinion doktor_phibes, pretty much agree with everything you said, i am curious though about Spiritualist church's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:17 pm 
The Ferryman

I'm sure you won't offend those in NGI of a spiritual persuasion. I'm always sparring with them about similar topics and we're all still friends (I think). We all respect each others views whether we agree with them or not.

'April Butterfly' will probably the best person to tell you about Spiritualist Church.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:20 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 am 
Someone Very Strange

I'm not one for Spiritualist churches never got on with them at all.- but then I'm not one for Christianity either..

however this does not mean that the information coming through is not genuine..

the problem for you is that there is no necromancy involved, no summoning of spirits - the spirits come or not as THEY want, so if you attended a Spiritualist church you may or may not get a message from your father.

AND

it also depends upon the quality of the medium...some I find are not too good and are prone to give general "Misty" descriptions and answers.

SO
If you go just to receive a message from a stage medium in a church (that's what these are) then the chances are that you won't...the best course is to get in touch with a recommended medium and have a session - NOTE i say recommended - and by this mean someone who is recommended to you and not from an advert in the local paper.

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Admin

My understanding is that the churches can be very clicky. They have an unofficial heirarchy which doesnt sit well with me.

but at the end fo the day.....I dont see any harm in it. It could offer you the comfort you seek......but it could open a can of worms.

My advice is to go and see for yourself, but dont expect to get a reading.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:19 pm 
Elite Investigator

I'd pretty much agree with what has been said, and just add that if you feel that talking to a medium who might be able to pick up your dad would be helpful, then go for it.

There is no reason not to go with instinct and seek out comfort if that can be found. Many people go to spiritualist church every week, and many people are comforted or feel better for going. Sometimes the act of going is enough, and we can feel supported. Other times it really doesn't work for someone.

I would say go along to your local SNU, and someone else might recommend which one to go to.

Or you could on recommendation to a private medium too as Chris said above.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:23 am 
Someone Very Strange

I'd also say..

keep an eye out around you for little signs - a familiar smell perhaps- things related to your father suddenly turning up etc.

I am fairly certain he will be around you.

Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:37 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

Hi Martin, sorry it has been a while since I have been posting here, just haven't found much time.

Dok is right about some mediums that do do cold readings, which is sad but true, it is one thing I learnt through my spiritual training on how to tell if a medium was handing out cold readings and showing us differences between cold readings and proper readings. and Anth, with clicky churches, I kinda agree in a way with some of the experiences I have just had this year in the church I went to at least 3 times a week, the clicky feeling I had with them and the things that went on, sorry to say I have not entered that church again since April/May this year for the clicky atmosphere.

I can say if you did go to a spiritual church, please do not expect the medium to pick up on your father straight away, you may get someone else wanting to contact you. You can always hope and pray for a message from that one person, but it will only happen when you least expect it. I always want certain loved ones to give me a message, but usually walk out the church without a message.

I agree that a medium should be reccommended first by someone rather then the papers. but there again, in one of my experiences I went to the best medium of the church as I heard she was giving out readings. I knew by her reputation that she was fantastic and when I heard about her readings I put my name down straight away.

This reading was a waste of money and I was so upset with her. Not only did she say she had both my grandma's in spirit, not only did she say my dad was in spirit and my mother, she said I had been divorced (I aint been married to be divorced.) She then said that my 9 year old son was looking down on me, now that part hurt the most as I was going through IVF at that time and I did not have any kids, I really wish I asked for my money back...... now from that reading, I spoke to the president at that time and she just shook her head and said 'I just hope she hasn't told your future.' Yes I understand that people do die, but kill of my whole family??? and also give me the thought still to this day that if I ever had a baby boy, this boy would die at the age of 9, I am too scared to even consider children now.

but the happy things about spiritual churches is that they are a loving place where you do feel loving energy, I can reccommend one place not to go though and I might try and look for a new church myself to go to.

lol not sure if I have answered your question there, but let me know if you want to know anything else, I do ramble on a bit ;)

love and light

been contacting spirit since 2006

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 am 
Part-Time Investigator

thanks everyone for your input, i am still in two minds about going to a Spiritualist church/medium.

AprilButterfly, that is really shocking what that medium told you this is one of the reasons why i keep thinking to myself its best not to bother.

Wodenborn thanks for your advice and i understand if i went to a medium i may not find any answers...maybe even more questions but who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:07 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

mediums are there to basically contact the other side, we are not around to tell the future as we are not fortune tellers

been contacting spirit since 2006