It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 9:21 am

Post subject: The schooner Hotel
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:58 pm 
Someone Very Strange

I wasnt sure where to post this, so would the admind please move this to the appropriate place......i found this whilst reading about the Schooner other local forums....

4 Re: The Schooner Hotel and Alnmouth by Legless on January 23, 2008, 05:52:57 AM
Hi all.

As a former resident of Alnmouth I thought I'd update you a bit on the Schooner.

Firstly, the Schooner is not now, nor has it ever been, haunted. The whole "haunted hotel" thing was dreamed up in the late 90's by Councillor John Orde as a joke. He has a theory that the bigger the lie, the more people want to believe it.

The first clues, in any investigation of the Schooner, lie in the exhibits all over the hotel. Pretty much all of them are made up. These pre-date the Haunted Hotel phase but it was these exhibits that gave John the idea to sell the place as haunted. If you examine any of them, and the stories that go with them, you'll see what I mean.

For one, there's an exhibit of a squashed toad (now dried and preserved, that claims to be the inspiration for the dish Toad-In-The-hole. Invented, of course, by a certain Major Orde. The story (lie) goes that Major Orde was playing golf at Alnmouth and a toad popped out of hole just as he was sinking a putt and prevented him from scoring and winning some tournament. In anger, he squashed the offending toad flat with his golf club. The Chef at the Schooner then invented the dish to commemorate the occasion. In reality, the toad was found outside of the schooner and put up as a joke.

The next great story (and how *anyone* has fallen for this one is beyond me) is the story of Hans Schidmit. There's a framed bullet on one of the walls that claims that a Greman soldier was executed here during the 2nd World War.

The soldier, Hans Schimidt, was executed at the bottom of the Schooner. Years later, his only surviving relative, his mother's sisters daugter, a certain Fraulien Bumsadaizy (who was affectionatley know as Aunt Bumsadaizy), was informed and she came over to visit the site of his execution.

Wait for it........

So Han's niece, Aunt Bunsadaizy came to visit. I ask you. (Hands Kness and Bumps-a-Daisy anyone....?)

As mentioned by Shelia, the British Poltergeist Society is about as real as Parson Smythe. Neither of them ever existed. I know 'cos I was the one who helped print the certificates honouring the Schooner as "The Most Haunted Hotel In Britain" . Then again, by now it may be Europe or The World.

If you want more info on the Schooner, drop by the Sun Inn at the top of Northumberland street and talk to the landlord or any of the locals.

Cheers

It then goes on to say in a post further down.....

9 Re: The Schooner Hotel and Alnmouth by GhostDog on April 07, 2008, 01:21:03 PM
It may be of interest that previous owner John Orde is now living in South Carolina, USA, where he has opened "Orde's of England", a theme British pub.

And guess what?

Yes, he's saying the new building is also haunted.

Check out the link below:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zJFPV_15VAY&feature=related

GD

Obviously i dont know how much of this is true or not, here is the link to this site.........let you make your own mind up about it, i just thought it was interesting.

http://www.otherworldnortheast.org.uk/g ... /index.php

Post subject: Re: The schooner Hotel
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:19 am 
The Ferryman

I must admit that I was always very suspect of a lot of the tales surrounding the Schooner, as well as it being voted 'Most Haunted Hotel in England' by the non existent 'Poltergeist Society'.

However many people still have experiences there (such as the shaking wardrobe incident on NGIs last visit), so don't think that you can categorically state that it isn't haunted, even if tales around it such as Parson Smythe prove to be false.

Makes you think though. :?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:14 am 
Underworld Minion

ha!I've not heard any of the above stuff Heidi hehehehehe!!!!!!

If this is the case cant say I'm suprised one little bit, be more suprised if you'd said this didnt go on hehehehehe!!!!!Bet the schooners one of many.....

I never take much notice about the 'ghosts' of 'big haunted' locations like the schooner...not sure why really but I dont!I just go with an open mind and see what I get...so this stuff goes over my head hehehehehe!!!!

Gotta say from being at the schooner and stuff I personally felt and picked up on etc a part of it was one of the best places I've been on a invo.....(not the wardrobe incident either!)
I cant wait to go back!!!!!!!!

No smoke without fire...to me any place thats meant to be haunted is worth an invo...also places that have no rep can be worth a look too!!!Dont care if its someplace as reputedly haunted as the schooner or my neighbour telling me bout his mates half brothers dog not wanting to have a crap in a certain place it all goes on my 'to do' list hehehehehe!!!!!

''He has a theory that the bigger the lie, the more people want to believe it.''
ha.....spot on there Councillor John Orde!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:21 am 
A Stiff

Is that why we still have a Labour government. :lol: :lol:

As far as i'm concerned the schooner has it's spirits and not all of them are in little bottles behind the bar.although there are many questions that remain to be answered in this location. :lol: :wink:

All the latest goings on are viewable here.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:32 am 
Underworld Minion

heheheheheheh....yeah...I'll say pictures and a certain corridoor and no more......

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 12:25 pm 
A Stiff

yeah that was wierd , so wierd i forgot to take a photo,as to wether they were moved by a phantom picture mover or a dodgy dealer remains unanswerd. :lol: :wink:

I think if i ever go there again i will spend some time in this location and see what happens. 8) :wink:

All the latest goings on are viewable here.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:19 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

explains alot to me, thats maybe why every time i go there i feel frustated, and get real mad, maybe his essence is still laughing at people, but what goes around come around thicefold :?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:29 pm 
Someone Very Strange

Whether this was origionally made up or not, the few times we have been to the schooner we have always picked things up. In fact, its been one of our best locations.

Anyway, i just wanted to post it to see what you all thought, its really got me thinking....i guess the former employee who wrote that, may have made it up - you never know??

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:42 pm 
Underworld Minion

ooooh - what things have you picked up Heidi?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:58 pm 
Someone Very Strange

Hi pollen....if you click on my freewebs link on my signature, it has the report on there when we went to the schooner.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:47 am 
Underworld Minion

just had a look there Heidi - hey,thats a top site,nice one!!!!!

ha - wish I'd gone for the weekend!!!!!I really like the schooner...esp the dodgy man in the bedroom - seems like your lot met him too hehehe!!!

hey - I was looking on your psychic art...to me the bloke at the bottom with the dodgy beard looks a bit like Steve!Can you see what I mean?Think its the eyes....obviously not the beard hehehe

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 11:41 am 
The Ferryman

Even if the place was never haunted in the first place, it is still possible that people being told that it is haunted for many years has caused it to have so much paranormal activity today.

If enough 'believers' visit the place and enough mediums hold seances within it's walls and raise 'energy', there is the possibility that this could have caused the so called haunting to come into existence.

Similar to the 1970s case where a psychical research group (the Owen group) "invented" a spirit named Philip. To their astonishment, Philip actually made contact with them through a host of incredible psychokinetic phenomena

If you don't already know about the case there's some more info here:
http://paranormal.about.com/library/wee ... 02201a.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:16 pm 
Member of EFFI

I got my coat tugged in the dining room in the Schooner, so that proves that it is haunted to me.

I was the only person in the room, too ! :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:25 pm 
Underworld Minion

doktor_phibes - not sure this is relevant in the case of the schooner (but who knows!)but this is totally true,top example!
Its something I often wonder esp when doing things like boards etc....
Its a known thing tho that things like this can be 'created'....I read something interesting about a woman and a tupla she created,I'll see if I can find the link!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:50 pm 
Stone Thrower

That place is deffo haunted, (les) who some of u may know caught a ghost on camcorder in one of the rooms in schooner, i think val may of also seen this on Les's camcorder too......... now thats with-out all the stuff the mediums or sensitives pick up on -- that was a ghost on the screen... that makes the place haunted...... however as i watched the link for their new place, well yes as u say they claim its also haunted, maybe they just know who much interest they can get from it........... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:42 pm 
Underworld Minion

ooooh!Sue,is there a way we can see this footage...I'd love to see it!!!!Which room was it in?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:16 pm 
Stone Thrower

her kids taped over it the orginal tape although im sure she wud have a copy of it somewhere, i remember she went mental with them for taping over it lol -- as for the room i think it was on the top floor.... i will find out :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 7:44 pm 
A Stiff

But Derek Acorah said it was haunted...........what other proof do you need! :roll:

http://velvetslayer.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 8:32 pm 
Stone Thrower

Now theres a very good point indeed Blubird :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:04 pm 
A Stiff

Well what got me was he actually kept a straight face in that show, which was pretty amazing considering all the so called hi-jinks that were going on :wink:

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:58 pm 
Scaredy Cat

I have been to the Schooner many, many times & was there when Les got the film of the apparition - definitely weird! We never got the same things twice. As a medium i pick up sensations & feelings as well as words & thoughts & (like Pam) i too have felt frustration with the place. I do, however, feel that it isnt as busy ghostwise as it used to be! Another team gave up ghost watches there as they felt paranormal activity had stopped. It has changed hands - again - now being run by 2 nice gentlemen, also mediums, who are putting a lot of time & effort into renovating the old place. If it wasnt actively busy before, it will now with all the disturbances but whether people will be allowed to do ghost watches now with the new management will remain to be seen. Besides which i have a copy of the Schooner brochure & its history goes way way back & is very interesting in places. As to if its haunted or not? Spend some time there & decide for yourself!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:39 am 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

every time i go back there something differant happens,,,,, lost the plot and threw camcorder and camera against the wall once felt like murdering someone? thats not like me hahaha, kris and sue had to take me outside, ages before i settled down, then went to celler with kris senced someone there and heard a loud breathe, both of us, we have had wardrobes banging, pitcures moving, that corridor is weird, claire lost it there to could not stop laughing, orbs flying around her, but it was like it wasnt her laughing ,,,,,mad, i still think its something even if its alot of energy built up, incubus? dark matter? who no;s

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:59 pm 
A Stiff

pam-ngi wrote:
every time i go back there something differant happens,,,,, lost the plot and threw camcorder and camera against the wall once felt like murdering someone? thats not like me hahaha, kris and sue had to take me outside, ages before i settled down, then went to celler with kris senced someone there and heard a loud breathe, both of us, we have had wardrobes banging, pitcures moving, that corridor is weird, claire lost it there to could not stop laughing, orbs flying around her, but it was like it wasnt her laughing ,,,,,mad, i still think its something even if its alot of energy built up, incubus? dark matter? who no;s

GOD!! :shock:

Whoes cam corder was it Pam, did they forgive you LOL

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

it was mine lol,haha jay picked it up for me ,,,, though i had gone loopy, :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:43 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

it was mine lol,haha jay picked it up for me ,,,, though i had gone loopy, :mrgreen: