It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:42 am

Post subject: website
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:33 pm 
Site Admin

Ummmm like whats happened to the website?

22:33 on the 9th September 2008 it wont display right.

Post subject: Re: website
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 pm 
The Ferryman

Define "right" Anth ..

.. Or more accurately in this case - whats "wrong" with it ..

Is it ok (but different) now??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:25 am 
Breezy Draft

Just been on it, great new layout.... You've done a great job Jay

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Admin

Jay wrote:
Define "right" Anth ..

.. Or more accurately in this case - whats "wrong" with it ..

Is it ok (but different) now??

Well when I tried to view last night, it was showing very little, numerous refreshes later I got the we are updating message. I posted this before I saw the updating thing.

As for the new look. Its OK. Dont see anything wrong with it. My issue, and its not specific to this site, is that all modern webpages are starting to look the same. No doubt you put a lot of effort into it and it looks fine, professional etc.

However it is slow to load the page on my works connection. I get a blank black pages for several seconds.

But at this moment in time I wont be looking cos I hate that vagina Ricky Gervais.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:31 pm 
The Ferryman

Ha! I guess Ricky is a love or hate type of block .. like Marmite .. but he'll soon disappear.

The web is evolving and websites with it .. various studies have shown what works best and what doesn't hence why a lot of sites are now starting to look similar .. both the front end which the user sees and the back end - which tends to dictate in a small way to the front end.

There are way too many ghost sites that look the same - black screen, gothic text, ghosts flying around the screen and tacky stuff like that .. not particularly our type of thing really .. so we'd rather break that type of mould and although similar in the grand scheme of things, completely different when it comes to ghost sites.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:07 pm 
Site Admin

Jay wrote:
Ha! I guess Ricky is a love or hate type of block .. like Marmite .. but he'll soon disappear.

The web is evolving and websites with it .. various studies have shown what works best and what doesn't hence why a lot of sites are now starting to look similar .. both the front end which the user sees and the back end - which tends to dictate in a small way to the front end.

There are way too many ghost sites that look the same - black screen, gothic text, ghosts flying around the screen and tacky stuff like that .. not particularly our type of thing really .. so we'd rather break that type of mould and although similar in the grand scheme of things, completely different when it comes to ghost sites.

marketing research....load of bollocks, well it is if I am asked cos I make it all up lmao.

No if the web all looks the same then nothing will stand out. thats when we need creativity. Even if someone thinks it looks childish, it can still be creative.

I work in IT, but cant do webdesign. I can read HTML, but I cant write it. So anything I did would not be on par with someone using CSS etc.

I guess research would be for corporate websites, I've yet to come across a paranormal group thats a corporation. So we each have our own identities.

If this is the future of the web, that all sites look the same, then I'll stop using it. I dont meant o take any credit away from you Jay. I can see you put a lot of effort into this, I just feel that theres other sites out there that look similar, some are paranormal others are not. Just a general whinge really. I use the forums and not the website, so it make no difference to me if it was pink with yellow spots all over it. lol.

So are you planning more re-designs? or is this it for a while? What was the main thinking behind it? New era? new users? boredom? come one give us the gossip. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:14 pm 
The Ferryman

Most large webbies are dynamically created .. database sits in the background, some scripting language reads the database, formats the page and inserts the data from the database in the relevent places. If they had to be created by hand - you'd never have websites with lots of content as it just wouldn't be viable .. the price you pay for this is a lot of websites that look similar - a basic and simple way of presenting what people want to see.

Many ghost websites don't have the amount of content to justify doing it this way and do set their pages up manually - nothing wrong with that - but you can easily get discrepencies from page to page, things out of place, fonts different in different places etc etc .. yes, it allows people to be a little more creative in their pages - but you won't see too much in the way of content on their site because if you have 1000 pages and have to do them all by hand .. you soon get sick.

It takes me 5 seconds to add a 2000 word article to the NGI webby and have it display exactly how i want it to .. doing it by hand would take at least a hour depending on what problems cropped up. As I said - if the price to pay is a similar looking webby to others - then so be it .. i'd rather have substance over style any day.

The aim of the NGI webby is to attract people to it both for letting people know who we are and, lately, for our guest nights. We don't get the number of page hits we get per month (75 - 100 thousand) by chance.

Just need to convert those people to forum users!!! :D

I do get bored with websites quick myself tho. The last design that was up - I was bored of it before I'd actually finished it! Thats part of the problem i have in creating webbies - when developing it you're looking at it 10+ hours a day, everyday, for ages and it soon gets stale. This time I've gone for a more simpler approach and touch wood, I never got bored in the process of creating it! So thats a bonus!

Ultimately, you're never going to please all the people all the time - we all have different tastes - some like the floating ghosties and gothic fonts - good luck to them .. but thats not and never really has been something people in NGI like.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:19 am 
Underworld Minion

seems to be playing up,when I tried to get on a few times itwent straight to the server error/maintanence page thing like it did when it was off for ages b4.........just letting u know!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:26 pm 
The Ferryman

I think its more a general thing this - various sites have been running slow / not showing the last couple of days from my end .. thought it was my internet connection - but its seems like its more than that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:57 pm 
Breezy Draft

Yeah I get the same from AOL, They make it run slow for a bit, then ring you and suggest you upgrade to a better connection. I hear most of the internet suppliers are doing it at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:15 pm 
Underworld Minion

cunts...........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:22 pm 
Breezy Draft

Well I was gonna say that, but thought Id be polite....

You could always ring your supplier and say you have noticed things are running slow and another service have offered you a better deal, AOL upgraded ours for free when I told them I was going to go with Tiscali.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:43 pm 
Member of EFFI

Sometimes, a new paint job works wonders. In this particular case, a new web design. :D