It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:30 pm

Post subject: New Forum : Private Messages
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:04 pm 
The Ferryman

A couple of people have mentioned that they are struggling to get to grips with the new way PMs are done.

Once your into your PM inbox (by following the link at the top of the forum that says "x new messages" .. x being 0, 1, 2, .. 98 .. etc.

All the PMs you've received todate will be in the window on the right with any new, unread messages having an orange dot in the circle next to the message. Open these messages as normal and reply as normal. Easy Peasy.

Ok, where the issues seem to arise with some is writing new messages.

On the left menu you'll see an option "Compose New Message" .. click that and it will open the message form which you've used when replying to a message. This is where things are a little different.

To choose who your sending the message to .. in the large box to the left, above the menu options, that is titled "Usernames" .. enter the Usernames of your desired recipients in that box .. So .. If you were sending me a PM put "Jay" in that box. As we can now send a PM to multiple recipients at a time, add more usernames into that box on seperate lines. So .. if you wanted to send a PM to me, Su and Kris you would enter those names into that box like thus :

Jay
Sue
Kris

When your satisfied with this you MUST click the "Add [To]" button to confirm your selection. This will add the names in the "Username" box to "To: " line at the top of your message. If you decide to send the PM to more people after this .. once more enter their names in the "Username" box and again hit "Add [To]" (just the new names .. not all of them again).

If you want to send a sneaky PM ( :D ) to somebody .. add them using the "Add [To]" button as usual .. However, if you want someone else - say me - to receive a copy of the PM without the original person knowing about it .. Put their name (or mine in this example) and add me to the recipient list using the "Add [BCC]" button so that my name appears on the "BCC:" line above the message box. (BCC = Blind Carbon Copy). So when you send the PM .. the person(s) in the To: line will get the PM and so will I .. however, nobody in the To: line will know that the people in the "BCC:" line also got it! .. Not particurlarly useful .. but hey ..

A quicker way to add recipients is if you have a friend list.

If you scan down the menu options you'll see a Friends & Foes menu option. Click on it and add people you consider friends in a similar way as you enter "Usernames" when composing a new message.

When composing a new message, you'll see a list of your friends with an "Add" button next to their name which you can click to add them auto-matically to the recipient list to save typing their names!

Full Inboxes

I've limited the number of PMs you can have in your inbox to 50 .. this stops people holding onto to 100's of PMs from 6 months ago and taking up space on the system.

When your inbox is full and you get a new PM .. you'll get the message saying you have a new message, yet when you open your inbox .. the new message can't be seen. At the top, it will say somthing like .. " .. to release your new messages, please make space in your inbox" .. you'll have to delete something first or move it to your "Save Folder" and then click on the "release held messages" link to release your new mesaages.

To delete or move to your "save folder" .. tick the tick-box next to the particular messsage you want to delete or save .. go down to the bottom of your inbox where you will see a drop down menu which has a default selection of "Mark / Unmark as Important" .. in the drop down you'll find the options to "Delete" or "Move to Save Folder" .. select your option and click "Go" and the action will be applied to the selected messages.

Any questions, ask them in this thread ..

Post subject: Re: New Forum : Private Messages
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:55 pm 
Stone Thrower

I just hit reply........... its easier :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:20 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

aye then ya wonder why only one person has got the message lol

The truth is out there to be found - you just got to look for it.

kris@paranormaluk.co.uk
Paranormal UK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:50 pm 
Amatuer Investigator

lol does anyone actually have any names on their foe list?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:31 pm 
The Ferryman

Ohh yeah .. many!! :x

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:28 pm 
Member of EFFI

I am far too much of a private person, to talk about messages on here !

:P