It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Post subject: Science and Ghost Hunting
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:01 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

When scientists debunk ghosts their first statement is usually,

The truth is out there to be found - you just got to look for it.

kris@paranormaluk.co.uk
Paranormal UK

Post subject: Re: Science and Ghost Hunting
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:01 pm 
Guest Investigator

Oh dear. Firstly I believe in ghosts, just thought I'd make that clear.

The writer has fallen into the trap of believing that electricity is energy. It isn't. It's a flow of current that provides energy, when we die all those little electrons simply find their way to earth, they don't bugger off upwards and power up spirits.

Just as people hate scientists debunking stuff without looking deeper, I hate people who try to use science to prove things without actually looking at the intended proof in the first place.

EMF meters have not been proven to detect ghosts, neither have thermometers so the writer can't back up his article by saying so. And don't quote Einstein without then giving at least a theory as to how ghosts can absorb heat and light.

And to top it all, it wasn't Einstein who taught us about the conservation of energy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:16 pm 
A Stiff

Ummm i have to put a medical point to this one.

Ok so someones in a coma, there brain is monitored for activity ie producing enough energy to be monitored.
If there is no descernable trace your machine is switched off. You are infact brain dead.

For people who have bad accidents, there are tests which doctors do to assertain whether the brain is still functioning, brain stem tests.
If the brain is not producing activity your classed, brain stem dead.

So if thats the case where does the energy come from to produce a ghost, in that respect.

If the brain is producing any kind of activity/energy they will keep you alive by keeping the machines on.

http://velvetslayer.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:25 am 
Site Admin

blubird wrote:
Ummm i have to put a medical point to this one.

Ok so someones in a coma, there brain is monitored for activity ie producing enough energy to be monitored.
If there is no descernable trace your machine is switched off. You are infact brain dead.

For people who have bad accidents, there are tests which doctors do to assertain whether the brain is still functioning, brain stem tests.
If the brain is not producing activity your classed, brain stem dead.

So if thats the case where does the energy come from to produce a ghost, in that respect.

If the brain is producing any kind of activity/energy they will keep you alive by keeping the machines on.

The ghost or spirit is not seperated until death.

If you are being kept alive by machines, there is still an energy in your body, thats why you are still alive, although when the machine is turned off you will die.......eventually. Took my grandad nearly a week to die and he was brain dead.

Usually what they mean when they say brain dead is that the Brain is so badly damaged that its inconsistant with life. You will still have some auto nervous functions such as trying to breathe, your heart will still beat until the brain dies completely or your system goes into a severe shock and you have heart failure.

If your heart stops it can still take several minutes for the brain to die.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:37 pm 
Underworld Minion

science..........the new religion for the 20th/21st centuries........
'if science cant prove it then it cant be true'......yawn.........
science...that floating paradox of control and limits....hehehehe!!!
Has its uses for things obviously (so we are told anyway hehehe!)...but replacing the 'power of the gods' with 'science' and all its 'provable man made calculations etc'....not for me,as neither is religion!!!!!

People who think emfs/therms etc are some kind of ghost detectors - shoot em!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Energy - a loosely used word.......what are peoples definitions of 'energy'???

now I've bored all off subject I'm off to go and fall off a horse hehehe!!!Hmm...I wonder,if I dont believe in gravity if I'll float,instead of fall......???I'll try it and post back!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:32 pm 
Guest Investigator

I think people have a lot of mixed feelings with regards to science and the paranormal.

I'd just like to separate the wheat from the chaff and get rid of all the rubbish out there so we can get down to some serious ghostie work.

I don't believe EMF meters are ghost detectors either, but I still have one. If it's a possibility then I want it investigated, so I take it to ghost hunts.

There's a lot of stuff going on out there that science doesn't hold the answer to, at least not yet. But there's a lot of stuff going on that it can explain, sometimes very easily, and you just can't get away from it. If people want to rubbish the scientific approach then they should stop using EMF meters, thermometers, digital cameras etc etc. Personally I'd jump at the chance to use whatever science comes up with if it helps in finding some definitive evidence for the paranormal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:39 am 
Underworld Minion

yeah - I agree totally about seperating the wheat from the chaff hehehe....

and I use science/equipment etc (regarding ghost hunting)cos it can give measurements that can come in useful for 'back up' for 'evidence'that something is affecting things which can be scientifically measured,as oppose to people saying they can sense things etc...so things like emf/therms etc can give unusual recordings which can highlight 'something' going on in a particular area/on a person etc....
or like you say eliminate other factors,although I've yet to experience this myself,as normally I've found the 'non ghostie' things causing the 'ghostie' experiences through common sense and rational deductions anyway....
the technology used to detect underground tremors/traffic vibrations/stability of buildings etc and the external effects on them,geographical/meteorological influences on the human body/energy systems,all the equipment for this I've personally not used,although the latter I believe is especially interesting......I also believe that to carry out a full 'relevant' investigation using this type of equipment a far longer investigation that just 1 night needs to be in place to get a bigger picture from which to 'hang' my measurements.....alas locations that allow this are few and far between......
Also I'd like a good link to 'experts' in their fields regarding some of the above mentioned and more.....just for thier opinion on things relevant to thier fields....but I'd still only add this to the 'evidence' and use it as more of a way of 'disproving' or finding other causes for it etc.....the 'process of elimination' that 'investigation' seems to be based on regarding 'science' at the moment.....
I dont debunk science....I just dont subscribe to the whole thing of it to be taken as 'the truth and the whole truth'.....cos it seems to be constantly evolving...and never static...full of theories....and laws....where it seems to me the ones that can be harnessed and 'profit' made from them in some way are the ones that get through to become the 'norm'.....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:14 pm 
Guest Investigator

I think it would be narrow minded to take any one source of knowledge as the whole truth. Science can be very convincing in it's approach to various things and falling in the trap of believing that and nothing else is very easy. But believing in all aspects of the paranormal with no hard evidence is even easier to do. At least if someone says that the temperature in a room is dropping we can check it out. If someone says they're surrounded by ghost elephants then finding any evidence is a little harder.

As you say, science evolves constantly, but as it evolves so then our knowledge grows and with that, and all the gadgets that it produces, I think using science as a basis for any investigation is a good thing. It also gives us an excuse to use stuff with flashing lights and gauges and beeps and stuff.