It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:32 am

Post subject: Bar's a haunting place
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Admin

REGULARS at one Northfleet pub may not be talking about their drinks when they complain about the spirits.

As the News Shoppers saloon sleuth PubSpy discovered when he went to review the Olde Leather Bottel, in Dover Road, the pub has a number of strange draughts - and he was not referring to those on tap.

The landlord claims the pub, which dates back to 1706, is haunted by two ghosts.

PubSpy said: "I went in to do my normal review and as I was sitting down enjoying a drink, I felt an odd breeze.

"It was very eerie and when I spoke to the landlord, what he told me nearly put me off my pint."

Landlord Vic Plumb said: "The pub is haunted by a man with a black cloak who threw himself in the pit a few hundred years ago.

"And there's a maid who haunts the upstairs."

When the News Shopper asked what happens if staff or the locals mock the ghost, Mr Plumb said: "Well, let's just say when our barmaids take the mickey out of the ghost, a glass flies off the bar and hits them.

"One day a basket of flowers fell off a six-inch nail on the wall and, when I went over to it, I literally froze and the hair on my arms stood on end.

"When I put it back on the wall, it then fell off straight away. I just knew the ghost was playing around."

But other members of staff are not quite so comfortable with the idea of a phantom lodger.

The cleaner has to turn the TV and radio on when she's cleaning so she does not feel alone in the bar.

Mr Plumb added: "I believe in God and I now believe in ghosts. Anyone who doesn't believe me should come to the pub!"

story taken from http://www.newsshopper.co.uk