It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:04 am

Post subject: The Schole experiment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:05 pm 
Underworld Minion

just read Marks new post bout the parapsychology book and just seen I've not stuck this on here,thought I had so am now!

Anyone read The Schole Experiment?
It wasnt what I was expecting and an interesting read be good to hear any other views on it!

Post subject: Re: The Schole experiment
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:06 pm 
The Ferryman

Pam mentioned that to me a while ago. I want to read it!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm 
Underworld Minion

Ooooh excellent get it read!!!Its interesting, not what I was expecting.Suprised its not been mentioed more, first I heard ofit was when my tutor lent me the book!
Wheres bloody Pam the slacker probably off with her lord having a top time instead of on here terlling me her thoughts on this book boooooooooo I dunno some people eh hehehehehehehehe!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:40 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

hahahaha im not with me lord today ........work claire hahahaha, but back, now :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:06 pm 
Underworld Minion

bout bloody time missus hehehe all play and no work makes pam someone to be envied hehehehehe get in there hehehehehehhe!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:26 pm 
Underworld Minion

suprised no one has read this yet....i was suprised I'd missed it before now, get it read!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:30 am 
Underworld Minion

has no one read this yet?You lot suprise me,thought it would be right up some of your streets!!!

Have a look on here:

http://www.thescoleexperiment.com/

Magicians' verdict
The result is that the magicians' verdict on the Scole phenomena must rest with the three magicians who have already commented upon them. The first of these is James Webster, who has the advantage of actually having been present at three sittings with the Scole Group. It is interesting that although magicians were welcome to attend sittings at Scole only James Webster availed himself of the opportunity. Fortunately he is uniquely well-qualified to act as an observer of the phenomena and deliver this verdict. An Associate and Silver Medal Holder of the Inner Magic Circle (the premier echelon for magicians in the UK), and a man with over 40 years of professional experience as a stage magician and as a psychical researcher, he is fully versed both in illusion and in the various tricks used by fraudulent mediums in the past. On the strength of his experience and of his observations at Scole he is unequivocal that the phenomena witnessed there by him could not be duplicated by professional magicians, even had they prior access to the room in which the sittings were held and were able to import into it the tools of their trade. James Webster's testimony to this effect was published in the Scole Report, but subsequent to the Report he was one of the platform speakers at the SPR Study Day on the Scole investigation and was able to confirm his verdict and his reasons for it in person.

James Webster was present at Scole, but what of magicians who have had to go solely on their reading of the Report? Those who were present at the Study Day on Scole will remember that Dr (now Professor) Richard Wiseman, who is an experienced magician as well as a rigorous and well-informed critic of psychical research, went on record at the time with the judgement that the Report is `very impressive', and offered no suggestions as to how the phenomena could be replicated by normal means (which must not of course be taken to imply that he necessarily accepted their paranormality). A more extensive verdict, and the third of those delivered on the Scole Report by magicians, is by Professor Arthur Hastings of the Institute of Transpersonal Psychology in California, USA. In addition to being a leading psychologist with a long-standing interest in psychical research, Professor Hastings is a highly accomplished magician who has worked professionally in that capacity and continues to give talks and demonstrations on the subject. In his written verdict submitted to us he insists that the phenomena at Scole could not be produced by sleight of hand or trickery. In his own words: “The behaviours described in the Report are not ones which can be produced by magicians under the close conditions of the Scole investigation, and some can't be produced under any conditions".

These then are the three magicians who have taken the trouble to be present at Scole or to study the Report and to comment upon it to us. Given that in addition no magician took up our invitation to replicate the phenomena under the conditions operating at Scole we are left with the conclusion that the phenomena witnessed there by us cannot, in the light of present knowledge, be dismissed as trickery, no matter how clever.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:13 pm 
Someone Strange

I'd be interested to read your copy.
Will take a look at the site in more detail when I have time.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:13 pm 
Underworld Minion

like I've said above, I dont have a copy,my tutor lent me it,and I've since returned it Iain,if I did have it you'd have been welcome to borrow it tho.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:16 pm 
Underworld Minion

http://magonia.haaan.com/2009/scole/