It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:20 am

Post subject: Meditation
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:36 pm 
Guest Investigator

Hi everyone i am very eager to learn about meditation i get easily stressed out i have been like this for quite a while. I know it is supposed to help with many things calming and i believe i have heard developement of the inner self.
I'm probobly not making much sense which is'nt unusual for me lol
But does anyone know of any good books on the subject or maybe
a cd ?
Thanks
Phantom

Post subject: books
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:55 pm 
A Ratty-Tap-Tap

try chilling withone of those ocean or woodland tapes,they work for me :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:27 pm 
Guest Investigator

Thanks for that Pam think i'll give it a go anything just so i can relax and concentrate :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:27 am 
The Ferryman

To be fair - a book or CD won't really do much .. well, ok .. it will .. but .. the key to meditation is quieting the mind down - if you can't do that then no amount of books will help and a CD will just make you drop off to sleep ..

A very simple technique which will certainly stand you in good stead before you want to do some more advanced stuff is :

Sit, in a quiet room where you won't be disturbed, back straight against the chair, feet flat on the ground, hands resting on your lap ..

Breath in deep for a count of 4 through your nose
Hold for a count of 4
Breath out of your mouth for a count of 4
Rinse and repeat ..

Just spend some time concentrating on the rise and fall of your chest, be aware of the air going in through your nose and out through your mouth ..

if any thoughts or 'the voice' comes into your head, let it, don't force it out - let it do or say what it wants and get back to concentrating on the breathing ..

After a while doing this the 'voice' will gradually get quieter until eventully it just shuts up .. and you should just continue concentrating on the breathing ..

when your able to do this with a quiet mind for 10/15 minutes (might take a few attempts) then you'll be ready to go onto the next stage where a book could help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:45 pm 
Guest Investigator

Thanks Jay sounds easy but i bet it is'nt but i'll give anything a try so
when i do get to try this i'll let you know the outcome just got to find a quiet room first lol
seriously though i will give it a try Thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:26 am 
The Ferryman

I can do the above - when I can be bothered. Most of the time I end up getting bored and stop and so left that behind a long time ago. But I CAN do that when I set myself ..

Nowadays, I tend to just get a thought or an image in my mind and try and hold it. What this does is focuses my mind on that image and I tend to forget my body exists - which causes it to relax and gets me into a state where I can't feel my body - all that exists is my mind and the image I'm focussing on.

.. which is my arse about way of achieving what mediatating is trying to achieve (for my purposes anyway). However, you'll have to work out what type of person you are. Are you better at visualising, hearing sounds or feeling things (emotions or touch)? Once you find out, use that method.

For instance, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm not as visual as I thought I was so I've started to experiment with sound. I just sit and try and get a piece of music playing in my head .. when I can hear it as clear as I would as tho I was wearing headphones - then I know I'm "there".