It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 am

Post subject: hhhmmm.....
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:30 am 
Underworld Minion

...not sure if this is the right place but its all about questions so I stuck it in here anyway!

In the book ''The Great Paranormal Clash'' Ciaran O Keefe and Billy Roberts ask each other some questions....now to read thier answers you've gotta read the book but here are some of the questions Billy asks Ciaran so lets see what answers people on here give to the same questions....

A1.Do you accept that genuine mediums exist?If you dont,what do you suppose happens when we die,if anything?

A2.In your opinion do you think it is emotionally damaging to visit mediums on a regular basis?

A3.Why do you think there are so many mediums today?Why are humans so fascinated with the unknown and,in particular,the supernatural?

A4.If mediumship does not exist how did the phenomenon begin and why?

A5.How would the human mind be affected if science proved,beyond a shadow of doubt,that there was absoluteky nothing beyond death?Could we cope do you think?

all copyright to the book etc!!!!

Post subject: Re: hhhmmm.....
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:32 pm 
A Stiff

oooow i shall have to come back on tomorrow and reply to those, good questions though!

easy to answer from my point of view though!

http://velvetslayer.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Admin

A1.Do you accept that genuine mediums exist? If you dont,what do you suppose happens when we die, if anything?I don

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:06 pm 
A Stiff

A1.Do you accept that genuine mediums exist?
I'm open to the possibility but have yet to be fully convinced.

If you dont, what do you suppose happens when we die, if anything?
I have seen some interesting situations on TV where things are said and picked up on. BUT... was it real, staged etc? The trouble with media it can be manipulated even though it claims to be genuine. My other thought on this is whether the information is from spirit or insight.

My current belief on dying is you die and you're dead - finished. Your personal energy is another matter - part of me believes you switch off like a light, but I'd like to believe it becomes part of the great consciousness of the Earth. Though saying that, I find it hard to accept. So at the moment when you die that's it.

A2.In your opinion do you think it is emotionally damaging to visit mediums on a regular basis?
Yes, you need to live your life. Seeking reassurance from the dead on a regular basis is not healthy. If it helps relieve distress initially then fine, but you also need to be able to move on and not revisit the pain and be reassured again, over and over.

A3.Why do you think there are so many mediums today?
It's more accepted to admit you may have an ability you would have otherwise hidden in the past for fear of being accused of having a mental health problem. I think mediums are gaining a celeb status and therefore some may think it's cool to jump on that for the rich pickings to be gained. Personally I tend to prefer the ones who don't use it for social climbing and remain firmly grounded and use their 'gift' for helping people who choose to seek it.

Why are humans so fascinated with the unknown and, in particular, the supernatural?
Mankind's curiosity helps us grow and evolve otherwise we'd still be cavemen. But some curiosities cannot be satisfied if they cannot be proven and exists only on rumour and belief. Things that are known, definite and proven are taken for granted and therefore of little interest to the masses but things that aren't attract attention for the simple curiosity of the possibilities if it turned out to be all true or all false.

Probably because a person believed they made contact with a spirit - may have been a vivid dream or schizophrenia or genuine. Some people may have been brave enough to admit it - others saw the possibility of seeking comfort, others saw it as perverse and evil.

A5.How would the human mind be affected if science proved, beyond a shadow of doubt, that there was absolutely nothing beyond death? Could we cope do you think?
Devout religious people would have a harder time of it. People whose' life revolves around the church too. I think many would think little of it and others would be freed from the threat of punishment and go on the rampage doing all the things the threat of going to hell etc prevented.

I could then wind up hauntedland and take up flower arranging or something more interesting! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:54 pm 
A Stiff

A1.Do you accept that genuine mediums exist?If you dont,what do you suppose happens when we die,if anything?

I dont know if there are any "true" mediums out there. I do think people pick up on or think they pick up on things when there in an environment which is condusive. I think what the show mediums do is pick up on very small amounts of information and then expand it. Most of the tv mediums have the gift of the gab and i think thats why they come across as being gifted!
I think most of what goes on though is our own imaginations. For example being in and old building i think our imagination is clever enough to "see" how life was lived or imagine things that may have happened.
I think when we die, we die. If there is life after death then it hasnt been proved.

I personally feel that people who feel the need to visit mediums are missing something in there life, and i dont mean that in a bad way. Its usually a departed loved one. I think when some one close to you dies there is an urge to believe that their still around so for some there is a strong desire to visit a medium and try and maintain that link. I know i did when my dad passed, i felt as though i needed to know and find out if he was still around. But as the grief dissapates and time heals that longing goes. I think its not damaging or harmful to visit a medium just as long as the medium is reputable. I think its all part of grieving, some people need it.
I think aswell it depends on how an individual handles that death. If for example a person is taken very suddenly its a shock (obviously) but that shock can lead to a different kind of grieving. It can lead to a desperate need to find answers, say your last goodbye etc.
If a person has an illness and their passing takes a while, everything that you need to do or say can be done before and personally i think it makes the loss that bit easier to come to terms with. Ive experienced both and i know which one was the harder of the two.

A3.Why do you think there are so many mediums today?Why are humans so fascinated with the unknown and,in particular,the supernatural?

I think there are so many mediums because there is a much bigger calling for them now a days. There are so many who have made a fortune out of it and there will always be ones who want to do the same. There is always someone who can say that a particular medium was spot on, and those who are maybe even slightly interested will become more so.
I think we are fascinated with the supernatural because it opens more doors, it says there is something after death, we dont jsut rot in the ground and were gone. We live on but then we do live on, we live through the memories of our loved ones. No matter how long i live for i will never forget my mum and dad.
I think some of us are interested in finding evidence to prove that ghosts do exsist because it gives us something to believe in. Or something to do at night LOL

The phenomena began way back when! Bascially since time began people have been dabling in the supernatural, we all have some sort of fascination with death. Maybe because we cant actually experience it until we are dead! There is actuall evidence to suggest that seances began with two sisters, who eventually relented and told the truth about what they were doing but by that time it was to late. The fascination had caught hold and just kept growing. The two sisters were fakes and told the world that everything they had done was faked.

A5.How would the human mind be affected if science proved,beyond a shadow of doubt,that there was absoluteky nothing beyond death?Could we cope do you think?

I think it would be a shame to actually prove there was nothing after death. To be honest i dont think that will ever happen, to many people believe 100% and wont even contemplate anything other than that ghosts and the afterlife exsist.

IMO at the end of the day there will always be people who believe in what ever they feel is right no matter what it is. If we dont have something to believe in or dreams and ambitions then its gonna make for a very sad life.

http://velvetslayer.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx