It is currently Fri May 25, 2018 12:30 am

Post subject: Mental Disability and Mediumship
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:36 pm 
Someone Strange

I'm fulla questions but won't bug you lot too much :P

Do you reckon people with mental disability/disorders are more open to the spirit world? I don't mean people with schitzophrenia and stuff, just people who are more sensitive than others? :wink:

LOYD AUERBACH

Post subject: Re: Mental Disability and Mediumship
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:56 pm 
The Ferryman

Personally, I think the capacity is there for it more so than with those without those types of disabilities or disorders.

In saying that - we all have mental disorders to some degree - whether its just a small dose of OCD or a Walter Mitty type of fantasy-life that we live. What we define as "normal" is only defined as such against a perceived majority view. If everyone the majority of people in the world was 40 stone in weight, then being a slim 10 stone would be seen as "not normal". So we all have certain types of mental disorders - its just that yours and mine are considered "normal" and manageable.

Where I think it becomes important with being open to such things as you ask (but also many other things too) and why I think its more possible is because somebody suffering with such a disability or disorder perhaps doesn't have the grounding and the anchoring to the "normal" world that we live in.

So for instance, if we go to school daily, we are conditioned through the education system to believe that all that exists is the 5-sense reality and nothing of the "paranormal" can exist and we carry that conditioning through our lives - and we will tend to perceive the world in that way because our World Model has been conditioned that way.

For someone who was born with a mental disability, the obvious focus is on their well being and not brainwashing them like the rest of us and so the potential exists that they are more open to such paranormal influences (if they exist) than others.

Likewise, someone who develops a disorder through their life could see their conditioning they were educated by be shattered by their different perception of the reality they find themselves in (talking more along the lines of schizophrenia here) and again, open themselves up to the paranormal (not just ghosts or spirits but also more malignant entities such as demons .. ), The old " .. the voices made me do it .." words we hear about by some who are said to be "mentally disturbed".

The bottom line of it is that if that rigid conditioning we go through from cradle to grave is resisted (either consciously or by omission) or the conditioning is destabilised / shattered through either experiences or by a disorder (or by choice .. :wink: ) - then we will be more able to experience things considered paranormal - however it manifests - due to not being grounded in the belief of only a 3d physical world which we are brainwashed with from an early age.

If that makes sense ... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:03 pm 
The Ferryman

By the way - more questions .. spit 'em out Venus - we like questions like this round here!!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:09 pm 
Someone Strange

Interesting question, but there are so many aspects to be considered in giving a realistic answer, that I don't feel I can :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:15 pm 
Breezy Draft

Although I wouldn't call it a Mental Disability, I hate the word Mental.

I have Aspergers (A form of Autism), I do feel more open to the spirit world then some people. As Jay said, Maybe its because I dont have the anchoring to the normal world.... Hell the last thing I am is normal and I accept that.

I only believe in what I experience or see, I dont take other peoples word for it.

But there are times when I tune out of the world and I think its these times that I am more open to spirit activity.

I also have problems with my senses, which are very muddled up, to me the 5 senses mean nothing, I dont eat food that "Tastes" nice, I eat food that "Feels" nice. I cover my eyes when I hear a loud noise, and I walked on a broken leg for a week, because I just couldn't feel the sharp pain, it was only when it started to dull that I realised something was wrong. In fact when Im fun fighting with my brother, he knows he can hurt me more by running his fingers down my back than he could by punching me.
I like ghost hunting because if Im stuck in a dark room somewhere, then there aren't all the sensory issues overloading me. Personally I think my 6th sense is the easiest to use.