It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Post subject: A haunted Bungalow that we used to live in
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:02 am 
Someone Very Strange

Before I bore you all to tears I thought perhaps one last posting for a while....you may find this interesting - you may not, it concerns the period 1977 to 1983 when we lived in a rather large bungalow in Kingsdown near Deal on the SE coast.This property was set in ½ an acre of laid lawns with summer house lurking, it had been converted at some stage from its original 1920’s plan of a two bedroom bungalow to a sprawling 4 bedroom, three bathroom, utility room, laundry room (you get the picture) cellared expanse with conservatory to the back and front – overlooking the English channel.

It was completely lovely, a bit run down but no real problems. A peculiar construction was the roof, for the original roof to the 1920’s construction had remained untouched and the annexes had been joined to this with a gutter running between each, as such they were not connected.

We settled in for about 6 months and then started to notice some oddities occurring. The first and most persistent occurrence was the pervading and intense smell of Lavender that would periodically be smelt in one of the corridors, the central bathroom, the lounge and the kitchen areas. It was odd, you could be walking through the house and all of a sudden there was this thick heavy old perfume smell that completely engulfed your nasal passageways, and then just as quickly as it arrived, it would be gone. It was amazing at the frequency of this, any time of day or night, all weather conditions, my mother insisted it was the spirit of the former owner wandering around, if so she was never any trouble, if anything there was a friendliness associated with the smell.

Then there was the periodic smell of the moth balls. As in the example of the perfume, this would appear and disappear in no recognisable fashion. This was mainly contained to the fourth bedroom, one of the rooms of the original house and a dark, and dare one say inhospitable room. For some reason it was also slightly cooler in there, and it was used as my study room (I had my large bedroom, en-suite bathroom and study room. I had my own entrance in and out, quite idyllic for a 17 year old). But it must be said it got used mainly for storing things in.

In the Lounge the heating was from a gas fire, and in front of this our dog (a cross between a border collie and a springer spaniel) would often be found mildly roasting himself, and on occasions singing his fur – not a pleasant smell. However now and again, and most commonly he would be stirred from his slumber, lift his head, look at the doorway and sniff a few times. Then he would move his head as though following someone into the room and always towards a certain corner. Then he would get up, stretch, and wander slowly over to the corner, stop, sniff a few more times, wag his tail a few times, look back at us as though questioning what he was doing was alright, then return to his customary place in front of the fire. We of course never saw anyone, nor felt anything.

In the middle bathroom mentioned above the toilet would periodically flush on its own, I never really worked out how this happened, it was never seen to do this, and only seemed to happen when we were in rooms away from it. All we would hear would be the clank of the chain and the whoosh of the water..

There were also a few odd experiences to relate. On one summer’s day in 1978 my younger sister was on here own at home, sitting in the lounge, the window to which looked along the long driveway which approached from the main road. She saw a tall man in old fashioned costume approaching the house to the “tradesman’s entrance” as we were want to call it, at the back of the bungalow. Sure enough the doorbell rang and she answered the door. She descried a man in his late middle age, wearing what she thought was 1940 to 50’s clothing, who promptly said in very proper English and not a local dialect at all, that he had :

“met our father who had given him this address and said if he was ever in the area he must call in”.

Being slightly perturbed by the experience, especially mentioning our father, my sister explained that my father was dead. The man looked perplexed for a moment and then said he was sorry to hear that, then, he made his goodbyes and turned to go back past the garage and along the driveway. My sister is positive that when she got back into the lounge and looked out of the window at the drive (she was a bit shaken by the experience and wanted to make sure that he had gone) that nobody emerged from behind the garage nor went along the drive. She watched for a few minutes and then my mother returned from shopping down in Deal in the car. As my mother got in the bungalow with the shopping my sister told her of her experience a short while before. My mother confirmed that there was nobody walking on the road as she drove in, nor on the driveway, nor on the path behind the garage. There was no way that my sister could have taken longer to get to the window in the lounge than it took someone to walk along the drive, this man simply walked on the path behind the garage and vanished.

On another occasion I was in the house in my bedroom with Toby our dog. I cannot remember what I was doing, but painting seems to ring a bell. Anyway, the house was silent while I was on my own and suitably engrossed in my hobby, the dog was slumbering on the floor. And then I heard a key being inserted into the Yale lock on the door of ”the tradesman’s entrance”, the peculiar sawing sound that a Yale key makes as it is inserted into the barrel of the lock., then the dull clonk sound of deadlock being opened as well. At this Toby was up and off, he always got a treat when mother went shopping and so he wasn’t going to miss out, he was always first at the bags with his nose in sniffing out the goodies.

Then I heard the door open and close. Then the sound of a Yale key inserted into the next door – the tradesman’s entrance opened into the rear conservatory, there was a locked door from there into the house proper opening into the laundry room and pantry. Then the sound that this door opened and closed loudly, it always closed loudly. Then the sound of the door, which opened into the kitchen at the end of the short passage between the Laundry room and the kitchen, being opened. Then nothing, not a sound and Toby came padding back into the bedroom looking disgruntled.

So off I went to investigate, the door to the kitchen was still closed, the door to the conservatory was still locked on the Yale, and the Tradesman’s door was locked both on the Yale and the deadlock. This was the only time that this particular event happened, there was no other phenomena occurring with this – no feelings of someone being there with me, no coldness, no other sounds, it was slightly un-nerving.

In the garden we had both a summer house, as we termed it, more of a grandiose potting shed in reality and a tall privet-hedged vegetable patch. Entrance to which, was through an arched opening formed through the hedge itself, or through the formal laid lawn, past the ornamental sundial, via the summer house and around the back of the hedge. Now this, while absolutely fine during the day was a nightmare at night: you just were neither wanted nor welcome there. Ok it was remote and dark, there were no street lights around and any light from the house didn’t reach this far into the grounds, but there was s definite feeling to it that wasn’t pleasant. Unfortunately this is where we stored the logs when mother decided she wanted a good roaring log fire, guess who was in charge of going and getting them in the dark. I didn’t like this task at all.

On one of my parties, for my 18th birthday I think so it was July and warm, some of my friends came down from London to celebrate with me. I dared them to go to the summerhouse at night, most got to the formal steps down into the garden from the double doors of the grand conservatory at the front and stopped saying expletives about what I could do with the summer house. Two were braver and ventured into the garden, and on into the formal garden with the sundial. They reached the summer house and almost immediately came running back ashen faced, saying they were never going back there again. No they hadn’t seen anything it was just the atmosphere of the place.

Things were forever going missing in the bungalow, especially keys for some strange reason. They would be placed on the large kitchen table when we came in from outside, then when we were due to go out, they would have mysteriously vanished. A frantic search around the house would reveal that, after perhaps ten minutes, they had reappeared on the table again. Money would do the same, just small coinage and never notes, as though a game was going on.

Post subject: Re: A haunted Bungalow that we used to live in
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:51 pm 
Elite Investigator

Chris, I can vouch for the fact you're never boring. Welcome to the NGI forum. It's good to see you here.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:59 pm 
Someone Very Strange

Mark

Thanks for the ego boost...I'm mentally exhausted at the moment (from writing) and VERY fragile...

and thank you for the welcome

appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:34 am 
Part-Time Investigator

very interesting story you have there, the man who came to your door is very odd. its strange how he looked like a solid person then all of a sudden he vanished. the toilet flushing on its own could of been a faulty toilet but then again maybe not. at least you felt welcome on the bungalow and nothing bad happened.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:42 pm 
A Stiff

Hmm very interesting....I have also had the smell of lavender and felt the presence of an older lady...in a premises in Middlesbrough...she would always move up and down a staircase but never enter any of the rooms off it.

And absolutely know what u mean about unpleasant feelings....think both April and myself have mentioned an area of a certain investigation on a different post where we both picked up on a very bad atmosphere indeed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:43 pm 
A Stiff

Hmm very interesting....I have also had the smell of lavender and felt the presence of an older lady...in a premises in Middlesbrough...she would always move up and down a staircase but never enter any of the rooms off it.

And absolutely know what u mean about unpleasant feelings....think both April and myself have mentioned an area of a certain investigation on a different post where we both picked up on a very bad atmosphere indeed.