It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:03 am

Post subject: Don't be scared of what you don't understand...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:31 pm 
Scaredy Cat

I have always been able to feel or sense emotions or things that just didnt seem right from an early age. I always got a little scared sleeping in the small bedroom of my parents house because it was directly opposite the bathroom. My Grandad died of a heart attack before i was born in the bath tub. I tried confiding in my mum about things i was feeling and seeing when i would lay in bed at night of a dark shadow that would wake me up banging around in the bathroom and calling my name. As a youngster it obviously scared me as i had no idea what that was. My mother just told me i had an overreactive and imaginative mind and i needed to grow up and stop being so silly. In time, i grew up and not much happened after that. I just told myself it was my mind playing tricks on me and tried to phase it all out and ignore the feelings i was sensing.
However, a few years ago, i got awaken by something, i had an instant feeling of dread and i couldnt move, i was literally scared stiff. It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust to the darkness and at the end of my bed was a dark shadow, not very tall but the outline was very distinguishable. Even in the darkness i could see that this shadow jerked as it had noticed that i had woken and seen it. It felt like it was grabbing onto my ankle. Seconds felt like hours before i managed to eventually turn the light on and as soon as the light was on the thing had vanished. For a long time this event was repeated and i grew more unsettled. It didnt matter if i was at work or at home i was always conscious of the fact that someone was following me around.
For a long time after those encounters i couldnt get my head around what had happened that night. It was only until going on investigations, a personal message from my nan and speaking to another fellow guest who was a medium did i finally understand what had happened and why. Being surrounded by people who understand and can openly talk about their experiences has helped me get over my fear of what happened that night and move on. Every investigation i do helps me build the confidence and strength to be more open minded about what may be out there and more importantly not be scared by it. It was the not knowing and uncertainty that prevented me from moving on and accepting that for what it was. I think that doing the investigations has finally made me realise that i wasnt going mad, there was more to me and to that experience than i truly understood.

Warmest wishes,
Emma xxx

Post subject: Re: Don't be scared of what you don't understand...
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:36 pm 
The Ferryman

There's a generally held belief that kids are more open and susceptible to other worldly phenomen (you didn't say how old in your early experiences - so I'm going to assume not 16 .. :) ) and that as we grow older society and the education system beats it out of us. Old "invisible friends" are forgotten about and we become more "grounded in the real world" and start to view the world more logically and rationally.

Now whether that logical and rational view we get is right or wrong is another topic, but there are many stories of kids meeting with, talking to and then, later, describing conversations with long dead relatives. A friend of mine has a 6 year old kid who often claims to be talking to his grandparents and even my mam, when she was young, described her granddad standing over her bed (who had died before she was born).

Whatever ghosts turn out to be, I still believe that if somebody is open to the idea (and I don't necessarily mean in the spiritual way) then it tends to pan out that they have more experiences that we can put in the "WTF was that" box.

I remember years ago somebody telling me that its not a case of "believing when you see it" but more a case of "seeing when you believe it" and I still think that today. It doesn't mean you automatically jump on everything and claim its Great Aunt Mable and there's still room for scepticism, but by being open to the possibility it increases your chances of experiencing.

Anyway, good write up!

Post subject: Re: Don't be scared of what you don't understand...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:03 am 
The Ferryman

Yeah, interesting write up Emma. Do you think you could have possible had a dose of sleep paralysis?

For what it's worth here's a link to some of my own person experiences that I posted way back in 2007 when I joined NGI.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1453