It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:26 am

Post subject: Some Personal Experiences
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:48 pm 
The Ferryman

I've already posted this on the Haunted Yorkshire forum but this is my first real post on this forum so I thought that I'd share with you a few strange things that have happened to me.

It was around 12 years ago and I was living at my parents house in Stockton-on-Tees. It was a Wednesday afternoon and my mate Dave had come round for our usual weekly chat. I was going to be getting a new computer in the next couple of days and was worried that it would be too large to fit on the desk in my room. I had purposely cleared my desk of all my junk to get Dave's opinion on whether he thought it would fit. After that we immediately tramped downstairs to watch a video.

As the video came to an end our conversation turned to paranormal matters (as they usually did). We were talking about psychic ability when I remembered that I had a word association test in a book upstairs that was supposed to test how likely you were to be strong psychically. We though it would be fun to try the test so we both went back upstairs to fetch the book from my bookshelf. On entering my bedroom I got a bit of a shock. There, on my newly cleared desk, was the very book we had been talking about. We both looked at each other not knowing what to say. We were the only people in the house and had been in each others company the whole time. Neither of us has gone up stairs to use the toilet during the video or anything like that.

The very next night I was staying up to watch Prisoner Cell Block H (Let's get the jokes over now shall we) with my parents. During the first commercial break I went up to my room to fetch a pillow off my bed, as I often used to do when watching late night TV. I had a cabin bed at the time with curtains that pulled across it. I never used to close the curtains but I was shocked on this occasion to find the curtains totally closed. I had been in the room 15 minutes earlier and they had been open and both my parents had been in the same room as me the whole time. Both this and the book incident were starting to really make me believe that we had some sort of poltergeist phenomena taking place in our house.

The next incident happened a few days later when my mother and I were making a list for something, I forget what. She had been writing with a free pen that we got from a Holiday Inn. She put the pen down on the table as we chatted about something or other. When she went to pick the pen up again it had completely vanished. Neither of us has seen where it went and we searched high and low. Not that it could really have gone anywhere except on the floor beneath the table. It never did turn up.

By this stage I was waiting for the next strange event to happen but it never did. Whatever had been going on in our house that week all those years ago didn't seem to want to play anymore and the events remain a mystery to me to this very day.

I've also captured some strange footage on my video camera (which I still have) when on holiday in Arizona, but I'll save that tale for another day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:59 pm 
Stone Thrower

ha good stories there Mark!

Deffo sounds like you had a visit from someone.............maybe some-one just trying to get your attention and let you know they were there... strange tho how its all taken place with-in the same week tho, then nothing since..... could it of been a relative visiting maybe near a special date to them (birthdays etc) -- just trying to get your attention...........obviously there was no harm intended, just sounds like some-one playing games to get your attention :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:17 pm 
The Ferryman

I'll go with what Sue says and expand a little if I may.

The scientific thinker will class this as "synchronicity" and then leave it at that (certainly the book).

We are ALL getting these little sychonicities around us all the time - whether its coming from our 'higher self' or from the other side - but most people just either don't notice them, ignore them or dismiss them as a 'co-incidence'.

Of the latter group I always ask : When does a series of co-incidences stop being a co-incidence?

It doesn't surprise me that you had these couple of things happen and then finishing with the pen - Your attention has been grabbed - now the next step is up to you.

If you don't stop and ask questions, they'll continue. When you do stop - then they stop to to encourage you onto the next step.

I won't necessarily throw myself on the 'ghost' theory just yet - there is more going on than just spirits and the after-life. But certainly looks to me like something was trying to get your attention - it got it, now what? Thats your call.

If you don't act upon it then after a time you'll get some more stuff going on to give you another chance. Hell, I was getting this stuff going on for years - I'd stop and ask questions, and then carry on as normal only to find after a break it would start again.

It wasn't until I set out to really find out what was going on that they stopped - occassionaly these days I get little reminders if I find myself going off the path, but nothing compared to what I got when I was younger. Which annoys the hell out of me in some ways as I used to have a lot of fun with it .. :wink: .. the surprise and then the time trying to work out the hows and whys.

What you want to do is try asking out loud for things .. I do that a lot of times these days - just ask out for something, nothing major and something possible and it will happen. Its good fun and I manifest all manner of things around me now .. you'll find a few posts on here from concerning the Law of Attraction - I'd be more inclined myself to think along those lines that diving straight in saying ghosts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:45 am 
The Ferryman

Thanks for that. I really don't have an explanation to what did happen, I suppose it could have been a dead relative paying a visit or indeed nothing to do with ghosts at all. All I know is it happened and then stopped very suddenly.

It did certainly get my attention at the time but I don't think I changed anything about myself because of it. Nothing has happened for the past 12 years so what or whoever it was seems to be happy now.

Part of me wishes that something like would happen again because after initially being a bit freaked out, It started to get really fascinating.

I'll certainly have a go at asking out loud for things as you suggest Jay, but maybe not as I'm walking down the street or else people may start to talk. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:45 pm 
Stone Thrower

lol erm yeah maybe they will :wink:

Post subject: Re: Some Personal Experiences
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:51 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

well very strange events, you sure no one went into your room to close the curtains?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:56 pm 
The Ferryman

I'm 100% sure that is wasn't myself, my mum or my dad, and we were the only people in the house. It was pretty late and the doors were locked.

I know the events were a long time ago now and people would argue that the memory does cheat, but I can tell you that there isn't a week that goes by without me thinking of what happened, and my story has not changed in all this time. This is one of the main reasons that I'm interested in investigating the paranormal toady, although I wish something like this would happen again.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:59 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

would of been great if ya had a cam rolling in your bed room and caught the curtains closing on there own, its very odd why these things just happen at random then stop.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:06 pm 
The Ferryman

yeah it would, but this was long before we owned a camcorder.

The curtains were very odd but it's the book incident that really got me as it was the exact book that we were talking about that got moved. I guess I'll never know what really happened and if it was genuinely paranormal, but it's odd enough to keep me interested.

There are many theories as to why these things fizzle out. Most of which seem to revolve around running out whatever 'energy' source they are allegedly tapping into. Usually a stroppy teenager like I was at the time.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:10 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

that's the thing, i don't believe Poltergeists are coming from a person, just my opinion mind. i think they are there own entity

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:15 pm 
The Ferryman

Well that's the thing isn't it...

Some people think they are purely spirit,
Some people think they are simply a form of Psi energy emitted from the poltergeist focus,
and some people think that they are a combination of both where an external 'entity' uses the focus as a sort of battery from which to channel the energy needed for polt activity to occur.

I must admit having read extensively about poltergeist I would be more inclined to go with the third option myself,.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 4:20 pm 
Part-Time Investigator

i guess the 3rd option sounds more likely