The site where Llancaiach Fawr Manor now sits, is known to have had other dwellings built on the the same land, reaching as far back as the Roman times. The manor house itself was built in 1530 for the Prichard family.
The History of Llancaiach Fawr Manor
The house was built to defend well if it was under attack, the walls are 1.2 metres thick. Probably the most well known master of the house was a Edward Prichard who had great impact on South Wales as he played an important part in the Civil War between 1642-1646.
Edward died in 1655 leaving no male heir to succeed him. The house then stopped being home to the gentry, and became a tenanted farmhouse for the next 300 years.
The last tenants to live there were the Williams in 1953 they lived there up until 1979, when the house was sold to Rhymney Valley District Council. The house was fully restored and returned to its original state. It is now open to the public as a living museum.
The Ghosts of Llancaiach Fawr Manor
Llancaiach Fawr is known to be one of the most haunted buildings in Wales.
Some of the ghostly events that have been noted are the sounds of children playing throughout the rooms, a cot which apparently rocks itself and the ghostly figures of a maid and soldier have been reported. Some people have also noted strange smells which seem to be isolated around the people experiencing them.