The Central Public Middlesbrough Library was officially opened in 1912 by Alderman Amos Hinton. Built on two plots of land, one donated by Sir Hugh Bell, the other by Alderman Amos Hinton, the foundation stone was laid in 1910 and the building, sometimes known as the Carnegie Library, was officially opened on 8th May, 1912.
The History of Middlesbrough Library
Featuring a classical design selected from 203 submissions, its architects were Messrs. S. B. Russell and T. E. Cooper, of Gray`s Inn Square, London.
In its original form, it provided a lending library where boys` and girls` sections were separated by a screen, a ladies` reading room, a central news room with a separate entrance in Grange Road, and on the first floor were the law and patent and reference libraries. This was Middlesbrough`s first purpose-built premises to house its public library.
Although all of the original building still stands there has been a recent extension built onto the back of the library where much of the administration side of library life takes place.
Also, naturally, many of the rooms within the library itself have been updated with reading rooms becoming computer suites or staff rooms – although the council have kept as many of the original fixtures and fittings in place as possible and in the most part, the library is as close to how it would have appeared after it first opened.